What is the Coldest Temp You Will Run Outside in? (Read 1001 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Just looking at the weekend forecast since I want to run two days this weekend. Saturday's daytime high forecast: -22*C with -36*C windchill (-7*F with -33*F windchill) Sunday's daytime high -27*C (-16*F) -- windchill not noted yet because that's listed under long range forecast. Undecided Bloody cold and I'm not sure if I can run in that or not. -25 maybe, -35 I don't think so. I hope the forecast is wrong. I know a lot of you don't live in such cold climates, but I'll ask anyway: what is the coldest temp you will run outside in?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Jayr

Minnesota here...-22 with no wind is totally doable.. Less than that... to me it's like.... oh my... I love running in the COLD but I truely think there is a breaking point... Interesting.
      TJN

S Army Kettle run...

Once upon a time, I ran a 5K race at -9*F. If I remember correctly, it wasn't one of my more enjoyable experiences ... Right now I'm having a hard time getting out the door at +15*F. I know .. HTFU. Typically zero is about as cold as I'll go, but that's just me. Tim

Tim 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think the coldest I've run in was windchill of -8...actual temp was right around 0, IIRC. I would run in colder, though. The worst part was trying to find stuff to protect my skin without making my sunglasses (to protect my eyes from cold/wind/snow, not so much for sun in these parts this time of the year) fog up so bad.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

De-slacking in progress

Have to get to you on that later into our Ohio winter. Coldest so far for me was 22 degrees w/winchill of 8 degrees and that was very comfortable. Really don't know- at what temp does the fluid in your lungs freeze?? Big grin

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

I've run down to -20F (-30C), but looks like those runs were in the 30-45 min range. Several -10F near 1 hr and lots near 0F (-15C), including one to 4+ hrs. (Spent 4-5 hrs trailwork at subzero F, but had to run/ hike about 3 mi to get to place where we started the brushing.) My recollection on those -20F runs was that I dressed, went out, did a short run, and came back - no attempts to do much time or distance or intensity - just do it. But I also have better gear now than when I did some of those. Treat the temperatures and wind as two different items. Have sufficient insulation for the temperature and intensity level. Have wind protection to deal with the wind. I'll wear a top shell and wind pants over sporthill xc running pants and some tights (weight depends on temperature). We've been fortunate to have snow when the temperatures get that low, so I snowshoe run. And I use neoprene overbooties when I do that, so my feet are usually fine. I'll sometimes put a strap-on traction device over by overbooties if I'm not ss running. My feet are usually my weak link. I'll use a neoprene half face mask when it's cold and windy, and may use a windstopper hat or just a beanie / toque type hat. Be sure ears are covered. I'll use vaseline on face, but if it's really windy I need something on face besides that so use the face mask then. The mask I use (don't know what brand) allows me to breathe reasonably. Be sure all skin is covered since that is getting into dangerous territory. I haven't worn my really heavy layers yet and I've had several runs at 0F. Just got back from a beautiful moonlit snowshoe run (about 1.7 hr) on trails - near 0F, no wind. Both top and bottom had one base layer, one insulating layer, and one shell. I peeled my heavy (windpro) mittens about 10 minutes into the run, and used lighter weight ones for the rest. I was very comfortable the whole run, although I did stop to watch the moon from a couple places, and that helped prevent me from overheating. This isn't where I run, but I like to use it as an example of how runners that run in cold environments (down to -50F) do it: http://www.runningclubnorth.org/lnk_cld1.htm IOW, look on the bright side. It's colder someplace else, and runners are running.Wink
              "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Menace to Sobriety

Absolute zero, as long as its not windy. Cool

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Half Fanatic #846

34 F so far. Hey, I'm in Florida! Roll eyes

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

mikeymike

It does't get that cold here. The coldest temps I've run in were just below zero F. Like -4 and a bunch of -1 days. The wind is worse, the coldest wind chills I've run in were -30F. We get a lot of days in the low single digits with a lot of wind. For general easy runs, none of that is all that uncomfortable after the first mile or two. But racing is another matter. I ran a 16 mile race when it was 0F with -20 to -30 windchills and it was just brutal. Running harder and wearing less clothing makes it tough.

Runners run

Frank4

We have had a few days in the past couple of weeks with temps around 0 and wind chills of -15 to -20. As noted before, as long as you're dressed for it, it really isn't bad after the first mile or so. Ran 12 miles this morning and the temp. was 25 when I set out...felt like spring again! Too bad it won't last.
                      Roses Revenge

I'm not sure I've reached my lowest temp yet when it's dry. I know I felt colder in Portland at 40 degrees and raining than I did in Anchorage at -15F but that was before I was running.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

obsessor

-25"F was the coldest I've run in. It was OK, I was very bundled, and even wore sunglasses to keep from gettting my lashes froze shut, but it hurt on the bridge of the nose, and I wondered how dangerous it might be if I tripped and fell... raced in -11"F, twice, and that was truly miserable. 89 is nice. or 70. 60 is a bit cool, but ok for racing a marathon and such.
                            It's never too cold to run as long as you are properly dressed. That means wearing wicking clothing next to the skin to keep it dry with additional wicking layers for insulation and a wind resistant outer layer to break the wind. As the temps dip below 0F you need to start thinking of covering all exposed skin to prevent frost bite, particularly on the face, Vaseline works well or a ski mask. Mittens are a good option for the hands for the really cold or windy runs. One of the biggest mistakes in cold weather running is to dress too warm. That will make you sweat faster than it can evaporate and you'll end up wet and cold. You should dress so you are cold for the first mile or two. My coldest run was -10F although I've been on runs at warmer temps where the wind made it feel colder. Tom
                            Roses Revenge

So I was out a little bit this afternoon at 24 F (wind chill of 15 F). The biggest problem I had is that the snow kept packing into the indentations on the heels of my shoes. I felt like I was running in high heels. The second problem was after the turn around when I had a head wind that was pushing me back almost as much as I was moving forward.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

Member Since 2008

The coldest I have ever ran in was -7 degrees. Today it was -3 degrees. I have face covers that work wonders for when it gets below zero. Between that and my tights, I look like a ninja running around. But it works.