Mobile experience, what changed? (Read 591 times)

xor

I have an android phone (through verizon).

It used to be that when I'd try to post with browsers on my phone, it would pop up a rudimentary text box w/ html-ish.  I couldn't do anything fancy, but I could enter the witty text I wanted to post and it would post.

With today's upgrade, it seems to be forcing me into the same editor experience I have on my laptop.  This seems problematic.

Using the basic browser that ships with the verizon android, the text editor does not interface with the keyboard application properly.  The user experience is that I touch the text window (which should bring up the keyboard), and nothing happens.

Using firefox for android (version current), it DOES bring up the keyboard application... but word-wrapping barely works.  And if I try to re-edit an existing post, navigation within the text editor was so strange that it is hard to articulate what it did.  I couldn't get to the end of the line easily, and when I did, it would NOT let me see what I was typing.

xor

Ok wait wait.  Maybe my ignorance about mobile browsing is showing.  If something similar happened on my laptop, my first advice to myself would be to dump my cache/history.   I assume there's a similar mobile thing.  I will play with that.

Will run for scenery.

I had a slightly different change in my mobile experience. I use Android (jelly bean) on at&t and Opera browser. I used to be able to post, albeit with none of the control buttons and no formatting unless I typed html code manually.

Now (post upgrade) when I try to post I get a big blank area where the editor should be.  And yes I cleared the cache.

In order to post this message I am using the stock browser and it actually is working great:  all editor buttons are visible and I'll assume for niw rhat paragraph formatting works.

For now I'll use this browser, but I actually got kind of hooked on Opera.  I hope it works eventually.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

SRL I'm having the same issue with my droid!  Did you get it to work?

Marjorie

eric :)

Ah the joys of web development.  In addition to test against IE, FF, Chrome, and Safari, now there's the added complexity of iPhone, iPad and Android...  Sad

The new release switched the mobile devices to use the wysiwyg editor because I finally got it to work.  Given some people are having trouble from their mobile devices, I can switch the mobile devices back to a plain text box.  Is that ok?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Testing from my iPhone...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

As is I have found that the update works better on my iPhone.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Can you leave it on for iPads and iPhones? Working great for me. I love it. Big grin

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Will run for scenery.

Ah the joys of web development.  In addition to test against IE, FF, Chrome, and Safari, now there's the added complexity of iPhone, iPad and Android...  Sad

The new release switched the mobile devices to use the wysiwyg editor because I finally got it to work.  Given some people are having trouble from their mobile devices, I can switch the mobile devices back to a plain text box.  Is that ok?

Well, now that I found a browser that works with the wysiwyg I really like it.  Paragraphs are a Good Thing.

Would it be a horrendously impossible task to make that a user-settable option ?

Oh, and BTW : having avatars visible is awesome!

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

tinman11

This is a test.

npaden

This works way better on my iPhone as well.  Big grin

I get paragraphs now!  (Hard returns didn't work the old way)

eric, not only do you have iPhones (several different models), androids (severl different brands), but I'm using a different browser on my iPhone because I don't like safari.  I'm using mercury.

I can't imagine having to test to make sure things worked on all the options available for people to use to browse the Internet now!

I can even modify my post and use smileys!  (But I can't see avatars)

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Test from android.  Thank you.

ok on firefox on android, no good on opera. no avatars on either.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

xor

ok on firefox on android, no good on opera. no avatars on either.

Have you tried editing an existing post in firefox?  I was fine entering a new one... but when I went back to edit it, there was much weirdness.

I don't mind the lack of avatars on my phone. Makes the pages faster and easier to scroll around.  Weirdly, before this upgrade, it seemed like a 50/50 shot regarding whether I'd see avatars on pages in the android default browser (I should probably figure out what that thing is really called.  My phone calls it "Browser").  Honestly, it was like sometimes RA detected I was mobile, and sometimes it did not.

eric :)

I tried it with a very old Android emulator and sort of experienced the problem.  However, if I wait for the editor to finish loading and click in the middle of the text area, then it works.  If I click anywhere near the icons, then weird things happen.  Not sure what to think of it at this point.