How Should I train for the 800m Run? (Read 620 times)

Basel

Alright, so I am a Junior at my High school, I run Cross Country, and Track. My Cross Country Season ended 2 weeks ago (5k 18:03). I run the 800m 4x8 1600m 3200m (400m sometimes as well) , but the event I want to focus on this year is 800m, I feel I can run my best in the 800m, and it's my best chances to make it to state this year and my senior year. Currently my PR in the 800m is 2:08, this is without proper training though. I would like to be able to start my season off around 2:00 flat in 800m, and by the end of the season get close to 1:55 which would be good enough for me to qualify for states ( I live in Ohio). I have about 4 1/2 months until my season starts. What do I need to do in order for this goal to be reached? Alright, thanks guys hopefully someone can help me out here, new to this website, so If you need more info or if you have any questions just ask. Thanks!
    Lane

year and my senior year. Currently my PR in the 800m is 2:08, this is without proper training though. I would like to be able to start my season off around 2:00 flat in 800m, and by the end of the season get close to 1:55
      Wow! That is ambitious! Dropping 13 seconds in a season in the 800m is more or less unheard of. That's a lot of time in a race that is stingy with it's improvement. First and foremost, talk to your coach. He/She probably has the best idea of how to go about getting faster. I hate to be discouraging, but I think that you might be shooting a little too high for this year. It took me 3 years of working my tail off to get from 2:08 to 1:59, and I don't think that 4.5 months is enough for anyone. Talk to your coach, he knows you better than we do, and can tell you better if your goal is realistic. Good luck though! I appreciate fellow half-milers.
      Basel

Aye, I've been told this.. but, i believe I have grown a lot from last year. But, what I was really wondering was what you would suggest for me to do in the off-season, weather or not getting to 2:00 is possible. Would, cross-training (Swimming, Biking), Lower body Lifting, or more endurance longer runs.... or lots of speedwork benefit me more for the season? Or, all of it, and if all of it what part of the off-season should i focus on doing these things? If possible, is there anyone else here that has trained for something similar to what I am doing, Or is going to be I would love to see your running logs.
        Lane

Build a base right now, basically as much mileage as you can reasonably handle. Do a tempo run once a week, and also lift with upper and lower body. You don't want ripped biceps, but stronger shoulders will definitely help out. I usually do: Chest Press Leg Press Shoulder Press Lunges Row Calf raises Good mornings Save the speed work for the spring. I am looking to do something similar, but I am recovering from a marathon, am a sophomore in college, and have already run 1:59, so if you want to look at my log, keep that in mind.
          Spencer Davis

You really need to keep a mix of longer runs and speed work, but definately more speed, or runs with speed elements since the 800 is such a fast race. Also weight lifting can be beneficial as arm drive and foot speed helps alot with the 800. Big grin
            Basel

Alright, now I got a better idea of what I need to be doing. Thanks, Racon and i'll check out your log every now and then. Also, thanks for the advice Spencer. If anyone else wants to offer more advice, or tips, it's more then appreciated.

Hawt and sexy

Start doing some distance running. Talk to the track coach and get his/her ideas. Just run as much as you can in the off sesaon, but not fast stuff. Save that for the season and follow the coach's plan.

I'm touching your pants.