Marathon Etiquette (Read 2088 times)

Why is it sideways?

The only time drafting pisses me off is ... Say there is a 6 mile segment into a strong wind and someone tucks in behind - After a mile, I would expect you to offer to lead a bit.  After 2 miles I will ask you to lead a bit.  Sometime between 2 and 3 miles I will either slow down to make you lead or punch you in the throat.

Indeed, but you can always slow down until someone passes you. I led a pack of runners from 10-18 miles in my last marathon. I did the work the whole way. It was stupid on my part, and I think it cost me a couple of minutes. But I was too stubborn to slow down a bit and let someone else do the work.

It is a little more sparse where we are running DB. I don't understand the need to line up and roll together for the 3:30 marathon runner, since there will be a ton of people around in most cases, so I can understand why srlopez would find that annoying.

On the other hand, the very best mindset that you can have is the kind of stoical mindset that allows you to notice these things and then forget them. If you find yourself getting really cranky, it's also a good sign that you should eat some GU!

run into a 20 MPH wind leading and then following - Huge difference.  I agree drafting without wind is more of a psycological "Pacing" - Throw in a strong wind and it is drafting. 

... and people don't always realise that's it's not a linear thing. Air resistance goes with the square of speed. So running at 10mph into a 10mph headwind it takes 4 times as much energy to overcome the air resistance as running at 10mph with no wind.

(This is partly why drafting is a much bigger deal in cycling than in running.)

DoppleBock

Jeff I am inherently lazy - Someday when I am running a 4:30 marathon at an all out effort - I will be drafting the chunky lady in front of me.  I might want to oogle the skinny ones - But they are worthless in drafting.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

In the only time I was mad - After @ 3 miles of pushing 15+ MPH winds, I asked the guy to take a turn.  I had been turning 6:30 miles into the wind.  He gets mad and passes me and drops a 6:01 ~ I tried to keep up to benefit from the draft - But let off about 3/4 into the mile and stil ran a 6:08.  A few miles later @ mile #13, I made a friend that I ran with until 20.

Sometimes friends you make in a race are nameless people - Other times you actually make friends.  This guy was a really nice guy - late 20s ~ but he ended up dying in Little Rock 18 months later, just after crossing the finish line

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=trackandfield&id=3334952 

Still saddens me

I remember the 1st marathon - Little Eagle River - Journeys marathon (120 people) I made a "Freind" Adam Gould and we ran mile #2-20 together.  I see him a few times a year at races and enjoy talking ot him.

I ran with

JACKIE RZEPECKI (F27) 2:46:49 47 8 / 1 F25-29 2:46:49 ROCHESTER, MI, USA

for 10 miles of the 2006 Houston marathon - She made her OTQ, I got chicked.

But usually its just - "No Shirt Tan Guy" or "Long sleaves on a hot day guy" or "Flag of Texas running shorts guy" Or "Pink Shirt Guy" - People united for a moment in a common goal.

It is a little more sparse where we are running DB. I don't understand the need to line up and roll together for the 3:30 marathon runner, since there will be a ton of people around in most cases, so I can understand why srlopez would find that annoying.

Why is it sideways?

But usually its just - "No Shirt Tan Guy" or "Long sleaves on a hot day guy" or "Flag of Texas running shorts guy" - People united for a moment in a common goal.

Yep, I am facebook friends with a guy who I ran with in a marathon for like two miles. They were a pretty special two miles, the two miles that counted. Smile

Kalsarikännit

Kind of like what was just pointed out in the "What makes a good marathon" thread, there are many types of marathons.  In a megamarathon the runners will be followed by a street sweeper, so I wouldn't worry too much about where you throw the gu packets, but I would try to pitch them to the side.  Less chance of someone slipping and taking a digger that way, less chance of you having bad running karma and breaking your achilles at your next race.  

In a trail race, outside of the aid stations never ever throw your garbage down.  Ever.  Trails are not closed during races, they are shared.  It is already a major inconvenience for others wanting to use the trails.  There are trail sweeps to clean up course markings, but they are volunteers who don't need extra work.  Plus, nobody gets on the trails to look at trash.  This includes the tops of gu packets.  Also, quiet is nice on the trails.  An incessantly beeping garmin is irritating.  

On the noise front, go ahead and talk to people.  But just like outside of running, learn to take the hint if they are giving you one word answers.  Also, don't try to strike up a conversation with someone wearing headphones.  I'm surprised how often people do this.  They are not looking for conversation.

Last thing on etiquette:  The spitting thing is gross.  I have nearly been hit.  When I do eventually get hit I am spitting back.  During and after the race.  You don't "accidentally" spit on someone.

I will go to the front and try to pull

This would be the greatest thing ever.  Step behind DB, and whooosh...ENTER THE VORTEX!!!!  He runs fast and has his own gravitational field.  I can only imagine the possibilities.  

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xor

I buy into the 'united' thing and 'sharing a common moment'... for the record, I wasn't really talking about a few of us running together.  Or even 'near each other' such that I notice "steam engine guy" and "panties chick" (oh, wait...).  I specifically meant the dude in the road marathon... always a dude... who tucks in right behind me, right on my heels, and is obviously wanting me to be his human shield.  Sometimes I shrug it off. Sometimes I pull over.  Every now and then I will slow very slightly.  Gradually and not much. It isn't worth having Drafting Dude plow into me just to make a point.

Actually, Jeff, it is more noticeable to me in the smaller races where 3:30 can still be somewhat sparse (no, not nearly as sparse as you FOP folks).  But when it's a big wide open road and the dude gets riiiiiight behind me... boo!   I'm way more forgiving in a race like A2A... Oklahoma headwind of 30mph sustained last year... or Tri-Cities... Washington State and always 25-40mpw winds... but people will do this when it is semi-breezy.

Oh, and what Wrigley Girl said about trash on trails.  It annoys the crap out of me to find gu packets on trails.

Scout7

The one that bothers me is the people who don't move, even though you've tried various methods of asking them to let you through.  "Track", "On your left", "Excuse me", "Hey asshole", nothing works.  Single-track trail, I get it; you've got nowhere to go, and I'm not really going to be asking you to move.  But anything more, please be considerate and let people through.

jeffdonahue

Last thing on etiquette:  The spitting thing is gross.  I have nearly been hit.  When I do eventually get hit I am spitting back.  During and after the race.  You don't "accidentally" spit on someone.

Don't run near me then, cause I usually have to throw out a snot rocket or two.  Granted, I usually will run clear to the other side of the road away from everyone and check behind me to make sure I have plenty of space.

Spitting I dont get - wouldnt that just dehydrate you faster?

xor

The one that bothers me is the people who don't move, even though you've tried various methods of asking them to let you through.  "Track", "On your left", "Excuse me", "Hey asshole", nothing works.  Single-track trail, I get it; you've got nowhere to go, and I'm not really going to be asking you to move.  But anything more, please be considerate and let people through.

Track?

I guess I don't spend enough time on a track w/ people to hear this.  If someone said it, I'd be "huh?"

That said, yes, I totally get what you mean here. Very much.

Scout7

Track?

I guess I don't spend enough time on a track w/ people to hear this.  If someone said it, I'd be "huh?"

That said, yes, I totally get what you mean here. Very much.

"Track" may be a regional thing,.  I forget where I learned it, but some people understand it and it is shorter/easier to say than "On your left/right".  Also, if you say "On your left/right", most people I've come across have a tendency to swerve in that direction or to try and look over their shoulder, thus swerving AND slowing down, which totally defeated the purpose of my warning anyway....

DoppleBock

Sorry I have to disagree - I have accidently spit on myself many times

Last thing on etiquette:  The spitting thing is gross.  I have nearly been hit.  When I do eventually get hit I am spitting back.  During and after the race.  You don't "accidentally" spit on someone.

This would be the greatest thing ever.  Step behind DB, and whooosh...ENTER THE VORTEX!!!!  He runs fast and has his own gravitational field.  I can only imagine the possibilities.  

xor

Heh.  Yeah "on your left" only seems to work half the time.  The other half the time, people move to the left "no... your other left!" or swerve randomly.

The same is true, in my experience, with skiing.  And it sucks mo bigger in skiing when someone effs up the passing transaction.

Scout7

Heh.  Yeah "on your left" only seems to work half the time.  The other half the time, people move to the left "no... your other left!" or swerve randomly.

The same is true, in my experience, with skiing.  And it sucks mo bigger in skiing when someone effs up the passing transaction.

Cycling, too.

But yes, I've had this happen while skiing, and the end result was not the best outcome.

DoppleBock

Amen to that - I like to ski fast and agressive - Usually I will be way away from people - But can't always and some people fall at the worst time - I have jumped over a few people back in the day - no contact - but a dangerous situation.  Or when you get to the top of a big jump (Blind) and someone has decided under it is a good place to stand ... last second flight plan change.