Marathon Etiquette (Read 2088 times)

#artbydmcbride

In mid-pack marathon 2:45 - 3:00 pace. 

So that puts roughly 80% of the field as 'back of the pack'  

sounds right.   Big grin

Runners run

xor

At a lot of the smaller races, 2:45 is the front of the pack.

Which explains our favorite cherry picker.

I will now shut up.

Sub 2:40 wins Charlotte Thunder Road, Sub 3:00 gets you top 20.  Just in case anyone want to Cherry Pick.  About 1000 marathon and 5000 Half Marathon runners.

Lazy idiot

At a lot of the smaller races, 2:45 is the front of the pack.

Which explains our favorite cherry picker.

I will now shut up.

Wink

Tick tock

xor

I see what you did there.

Kalsarikännit

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

Not really what I am saying - Mostly - 90-95% of people are mid-pack.   

So that puts roughly 80% of the field as 'back of the pack'  

sounds right.   Big grin

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

seeEricaRun

Awesome

You know, it never occurred to me that those people were using me as a wind shield - I have no idea why they would choose the smallest person around.

I just figured they were looking for someone to pace for them. It never bothers me, I'm usually happy to help, and if they need me to pace for them (or to block wind), then they're likely suffering and going to fall behind me anyway. I'm often sad when I hear the footsteps fall away.

Maybe the middle of the pack is a different game than it is for the speedy folks up front.

Maybe your mp3 player is really loud and they like the songs?

If I had a peeve with marathon etiquette it would be directed toward the water stops. It's mayhem in there and often times you've really got to watch your step. I expect them to be a bit dangerous but in the later miles folks will sometimes just crap out after grabbing a cup. Just stop there and road-block the tired dudes rolling in just behind them. If you blowup and need to stop (or walk), you need to move to the side. Not a serious peeve though as one ought to expect to be extra careful in the water stops anyhow. 

DoppleBock

The slower I get the more dangerous it becomes - I am a big guy 6'3 and 200+.  When you decide to stop dead right in front of me ... Little skinny runner ... its not me I am worried about.

When I was running under 3 all the time - I never really had issues - People grab cups and continue to run. 

If I had a peeve with marathon etiquette it would be directed toward the water stops. It's mayhem in there and often times you've really got to watch your step. I expect them to be a bit dangerous but in the later miles folks will sometimes just crap out after grabbing a cup. Just stop there and road-block the tired dudes rolling in just behind them. If you blowup and need to stop (or walk), you need to move to the side. Not a serious peeve though as one ought to expect to be extra careful in the water stops anyhow. 

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

BeeRunB

http://www.crustedsalt.com/pages/crustedsalt_86.html

You guys inspired today's comic.

Enjoy!

--JimmyCool

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

http://www.crustedsalt.com/pages/crustedsalt_86.html

You guys inspired today's comic.

Enjoy!

--JimmyCool

Good one!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Water stop strategy. Go to the last person holding a cup.You will be amazed how happy you make them.

PS: I step to the side and come to a complete stop.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Water stop strategy. Go to the last person holding a cup.You will be amazed how happy you make them.

PS: I step to the side and come to a complete stop.

You sir, are a wise man. I actually like to grab from the 3rd or 4th-to-last in case I miss, then I've still got a chance for the rebound.