Marathon Training Question (Read 886 times)

Member Since 2008

I have decided to do a marathon this May (Colorado Marathon) and instead of following an eighteen week schedule, I am doing an eleven week schedule. I ran a long run of fourteen miles the other day and felt great. My question is, I have a seven mile run scheduled on friday (a day before my next long run of fifteen miles) and I have to work that day. Would I get the same benefit if I ran three and a half miles before work and three and a half miles after work or should I just do it all before or after work?
      Im no expert here, and can only base my thoughts on things that I have read.........and YES, I think so. Jeff Galloway will tell you that the only run you shouldnt consider splitting would be the long Sunday run.. Since your keeping your long run in tact, I personally believe you will be just fine...... Also...its only one run, so i wouldnt sweat it all that much to begin with,...

Champions are made when no one is watching

xor

This assumes that the 7 miler is one of the "get in the miles" easy runs. You aren't trying to split one of the 'key workouts'. So... you will not get the same exact thing by splitting an easy 7 miler... but it is still goodness. If that's what it takes to get in your miles for the day, have at it. Me? The later I push my run into the day, the more likely that real life will poke me and I'll have to skip. I'm great at getting my morning workout in... less so about the afternoon/evening ones. So for me, I try to get my key workouts and all the miles I can done early on. But everyone is different. Whatever it takes to get the miles.

The way doubling up had been explained to me in regards to this: It's better to not split it evenly, but instead divide it up. Maybe do 2 and 5 or 3 and 4...but, I'd wait for an authority to show up...
          JimR

Would I get the same benefit if I ran three and a half miles before work and three and a half miles after work or should I just do it all before or after work?
            No, splitting them won't give you the same. But if you've got time after work to do 7, then I'm not sure what the problem is.

Why is it sideways?

Split the 7 into a 6 and a 4.

Dave

Split the 7 into a 6 and a 4.
                Philosopher math. For future reference, I'll share my split run equations. 4+4 = 7 8+4 = 9 8+5 = 10 10+8 = 14 10+10 = 15 15 + 6 = 17 15 + 8 = 18 17+ 7 = 20

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

On My Horse

Strictly speaking, you shouldn't be doubling to get in a certain number of miles for the day, if your training plan says 7, no combination of shorter runs is going to do the same thing 7 miles will for you. Arthur Lydiard says so. Edit: This isn't to say doubling doesn't have its place, but if you scheduled for X number of miles, you can't run Y and Z and expect them to equal X. Doing it occasionally is fine, no one day or week makes up how fast you are, but you shouldn't regularly be breaking up runs to make them more manageable. Stress/Adaption and all that.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Feeling the growl again

Nope, splitting X miles into 2 runs A+B=X will not be the same as doing X. If I need to split due to not having time for one longer run, the total miles will add up to more than X. Not that even that will necessarily do the same thing as X, but it's a lot better than splitting X miles in half.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Member Since 2008

No, splitting them won't give you the same. But if you've got time after work to do 7, then I'm not sure what the problem is.
                      The problem is either running at 4am or having eight kids, fitting in seven miles between driving around for ballet class, karate class and track practice. I decided to get the seven miles in at 4am. I will sleep good tonight.
                      mikeymike

Nice job.

Runners run

uncontrollable

I agree - it is optimal to do miles 'non-split' IMO BUT if mentally or time crunch wise for me all I can do is 3 before & 3 after work - I do that. It's still 'miles' - these are my easy days anyway. The time with my family at the end of my 12hr workday is a better choice for me than the hour I would be at the gym on the TM. I do better as a runner when I am balanced mentally, physically, & spiritually. Running is a blessing to me but so is my family! Everybody has a different life & a different schedule - I think we all do what we need to do. It has worked for me for 10+ years.

peace

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

but if you scheduled for X number of miles, you can't run Y and Z and expect them to equal X. Doing it occasionally is fine, no one day or week makes up how fast you are, but you shouldn't regularly be breaking up runs to make them more manageable. Stress/Adaption and all that.
                            Yes, but if you split that 7 into a 6 and 4, you're better off than if you just ran 7. (as long as you're not running too hard on your easy runs).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Why is it sideways?

The real answer is that whether singles or doubles are "better" cannot be answered in the abstract. Better in relation to what? More training stress is not always better. Sometimes you should split a run to create less training stress. Sometimes the best decision is not to run at all. Discussions like this would be improved if people talked about better and worse relative to certain and specific purposes. But mikey and GoPRE already nailed the only truly essential point: get 'er done, by any means necessary. That's what's best.
                                If a situation like this occurs just once or twice in a training cycle, then it really doesn't make much difference. It's a very minor disruption in a 16-20 week training cycle that will have no measureable effect on the final outcome. OTOH, if it's a routine "problem", then an overhaul of one's fundamental training regimen is in order. For instance, going to doubles with an increase in total mileage would make sense. Sometimes we can overthink this stuff. Wink