Once a runner (Read 862 times)

I ordered the book from the library like 4-5 months ago... and I have been waiting and waiting to get it... well here I am just over 2 weeks out from my first marathon... and once a runner shows up... and my awesome wife went to the library to get it for me... :-) I was wondering what I was going to do durring my taper to keep from crawling out of my skin... Oh I'm so excited... Big grin Big grin
    mikeymike

Oh dear this book will not help you stay calm during taper. But it's worth a read anyhow. Resist the urge to try 26 in the rain or 60 x 400 barefoot during your taper. Good luck.

Runners run

I read some already and I have to say that reading... The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials... Cool "You show off at your peril" Oh how I wish I would have read that before I went out and ran my wed run...
          I kind of like this book.
          "On most days, run easy. On some days, run hard. But not too hard."

Think Whirled Peas

I wish I would have read OAR in high school. The way he writes about the pre-race jitters gave me new found understanding that nearly EVERYONE goes through them. I didn't know that. I thought it was just me, and I would get them something terrible. Once the gun went off I was fine, and thought of nothing but crushing souls, but before, oh god, the terror. Third call would often bring me to a near panic state, just a bundle of nerve endings all firing away at top speed. The fear of losing, and losing badly were what scared me the most though. And I quit track after my sophomore year because I couldn't handle the pre-race jitters. It took me nearly 20 years to find running again. Shortly after I did, I read OAR and from that point forward everything started falling into place. I have started harnessing that pre-race feeling and using to propel me to action, rather than away from toeing the line. It showed me that everyone who runs gets that feeling, and that I wasn't (and still am not) alone. Yeah, Once a Runner had a pretty significant impact on me too. Q

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

People want too much money for that book. Amazon $150-$999!!! I should of gotten the pdf when someone posted it Cool

Vim

The libarary didn't charge me anything.

It is going to be republished later this year. It would have been earlier this year except that the author had issues with his heart and was hospital bound for months on end before any of the rights could be assigned to a publishing house.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Mr R

I'll email you the pdf if you promise to buy an authorized copy when it becomes available.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

What, someone else has my signature!
                      "On most days, run easy. On some days, run hard. But not too hard."
                      Lisa3.1