Help me decide between the 205 and the 305 (Read 751 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Okay, it's official. My Nike+ sportband crapped out this morning during a run on the beach. It still records the data and uploads it to the Nike+ site, but I can't read anything on the display, which is kind of the point during the run. So, I can get the Garmin 205 from Wal-Mart for $138 or the Garmin 305 for $195. Is the heart rate monitor worth the extra $55? If the in-run pace is accurate on the 205, then I'm not sure what I'll use the heart rate monitor for. Input please?

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have the 305...but I only got it because there was a $50 rebate, so it ended up being only $7 more than the 205. I have had it almost a year and have NEVER even used the HRM. If my 305 died today I'd buy a 205, no question.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I have the 305...but I only got it because there was a $50 rebate, so it ended up being only $7 more than the 205. I have had it almost a year and have NEVER even used the HRM. If my 305 died today I'd buy a 205, no question.
        Agreed. When I got my 305 I used the HRM on every run. Then a few weeks in, I realized that I'm not an elite and don't use the HR information for anything. In the last 3 months I can count on one hand the number of times I used the HRM. Go with the 205. By the time you feel you need a HRM the 305 will probably be obsolete and you can get the 705 or 805 or something.
        theyapper

On the road again...

Thanks. You're both confirming what I'm leaning towards. Any 305 maniacs out there want to try and change my mind?

Paul

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I agree with the 205. Wish I'd saved the money!

Dave

I think it comes down to whether you find value in and choose to run with a heart rate monitor. There are lots of threads on running by heart rate and a group dedicated to it on here (the Low HR Trainers). For me, the extra money for the 305 is worth it because I use the HRM as a training tool. HR feedback is different from just knowing your pace, it can give you an idea of how hard you're working to achieve that pace. I use it mostly to help me constrain my pace on easy days and give me insight into my body's response to training. On long runs, when my heart rate starts climbing above a certain level, I know from experience that I may need to slow down to prevent a bad finish. It is far from an exact science but I find it useful. You can look at my log to see how I log the data from it.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I got my 305 almost a year ago and have never once used the HRM. I think I clipped it around my chest once just to confirm that it was something I would never want to wear during a run.
                  Another vote for the 205. The best running related purchase I've ever made.
                  theyapper

On the road again...

I think it comes down to whether you find value in and choose to run with a heart rate monitor. There are lots of threads on running by heart rate and a group dedicated to it on here (the Low HR Trainers). For me, the extra money for the 305 is worth it because I use the HRM as a training tool. HR feedback is different from just knowing your pace, it can give you an idea of how hard you're working to achieve that pace. I use it mostly to help me constrain my pace on easy days and give me insight into my body's response to training. On long runs, when my heart rate starts climbing above a certain level, I know from experience that I may need to slow down to prevent a bad finish. It is far from an exact science but I find it useful. You can look at my log to see how I log the data from it.
                    I love posts like this, because it makes the 305 just tempting enough to muddy the purchasing waters. Wink Seriously, I understand the way to use a HRM, I guess I'm just wondering if I will actually use it. If it feels weird, I won't. If it's a hassle, I won't. But if it's a useful tool for training, I might. Thanks for the good info about it. Hmmmmm.

Paul

I've been wearing an HRM for a couple years on my runs. It took a little bit to get used to it, but I really don't even notice it now. A few weeks ago, I forgot it at home, and it felt really weird to not have it. The information that the HRM tells me is very important to me. It helps show me when I improve, and it tells me when I'm having a rough day. Most importantly, it helps me hold back the reigns in a race when I want to go out fast. Of course the decision is up to you, but if you actually use the HRM correctly, it WILL improve your running.

Hoping to Run Again :-(

This is definitely a good question to ponder heavily before buying. I found a good deal when I bought my 305, so $ alone didn't really help me decide. At the time, I had a Polar HRM which I used to use frequently. So I liked the idea of having it all-in-one and figured I'd sell my Polar. But I can tell you, I guess the pacing/distance info was novel enough, as I haven't even used the HRM feature. And my Polar is still sitting in my running drawer. Blush Oh yeah - I had also convinced myself that the GPS itself *must* be updated from the 205 to the 305, but that obviously isn't the case. Bottom line: If you don't see yourself using a HRM in the next year, I say go for the 205.
                        ~ Fly ~
                        Only as much as I dream can I be.
                        veggies on the run
                          I guess save the money. For me, the price difference was also close enough to justify getting. I've had a 305 for half a year and I dutifully log the data, and recently asked a question about the shown max. But I've never analyzed the numbers, nor trained using HR zones. Then again, I don't really do speed workouts or intervals, but I know they'd make me better. I keep saying I'll train smarter/more serious though, so perhaps I'll try to make sense of the HR data.
                          TJoseph

I have the 305. I have tried using the HRM monitor a few times, but the strap bugs me and I don't use the data. I haven't worn the strap in almost a year. I run by feel and I can tell what my effort is and if I am having a bad day without the HRM. If I had to buy another one tomorrow, I would get the 205. I like the color of the 205 better too.
                            Ringmaster

I actually like red better, which is the color of the 305, but I own the 205 and am very happy with it. I do program it to run my intervals with it instead of running them at the track, and I know I'm working hard because, well, I'm very winded at the end. My 2c.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                              Mile by Mile

Personally, I think a 205 would be worthless to me. For an elite runner that understands his/her body and can accurately judge level of effort then maybe a HRM isn't that useful. For the rest of us, I think it's very useful. Want to train at the upper end of your aerobic zone? You need a HRM. Want to improve your lactate threshold? Probably going to need a HRM. Want to make sure that you're not running too fast? Hey, look, a HRM is a good tool for that. I personally believe that heart rate, along with accurate knowledge of proper heart rate zones for the individual, is much more important for the beginner to intermediate runner than pace is and yet pace is everyone's holy grail. Granted, on a hot and muggy summer day a HRM is just about worthless but when the weather is nice or if you plan to run on a treadmill it's great to have that data. I recently ran with a friend of mine that just started running. He was bragging that he could run an 8:30/mile pace "easy" for 3 or 4 miles. I told him that was really good for a beginner with no prior running experience and then had him wear a HRM during our "easy" 3 mile run. We ran 9:00/miles and his heart rate ballooned to 185 bpm in the first 5 minutes. That means that either he was running way too fast when he thought he was running easy or that he's a liar.
                                2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly