running by feel...what did I do wrong? (Read 1495 times)

JimR

I think you need to remind yourself that your workout goal was 'easy run' when you started trying to run down someone else. Racing during an easy run are generally two incompatible ideas.
    'xactly. It's no big deal to do this on occasion, but don't make a habit of compromising your workouts just because someone's ahead of you. Save it for the start line.
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

It sounds like your run fell into what's often called 'no-man's land', where it's too easy to gain from and too hard to allow recovery, somewhere between easy and tempo.
      Yup. I'm a firm believer in avoiding this zone, unless I'm just having a kung-fu kind of run that demands me to be there. Otherwise, though, easy should be easy, and hard should be hard.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Modified to add: You win, Berner. You officially pissed me off. Congratulations.
        Hopefully this was sarcasm. Confused Nothing in my response should have been interpreted as a personal attack against you or against hippies in general. Next time use more emoticons please.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Why is it sideways?

Hopefully this was sarcasm. Confused Nothing in my response should have been interpreted as a personal attack against you or against hippies in general. Next time use more emoticons please.
          Forgive me, Berner. Even hippies wig out occasionally. You gave good advice.

Feeling the growl again

Berner, nothing in jay's original post indicates that the run FELT like a race or hard effort. If so he can correct me. He himself eluded that the hamstring was a SEPARATE ISSUE, which led me to conclude that is has been a problem recently. You are leaping to the conclusion that only speed causes injuries...of the few running injuries I've had none occurred during fast sessions. They can happen any time so that is a faulty conclusion. If it were a hard effort, it would feel hard. When was the last time you ran yourself into the ground and felt like it was a morning stroll? On a side note, the next time you insinuate I am part of the "hippie crowd" you WILL piss me off. There is a distinct difference between hippies and people who just happen to have a ton of experience in this sport.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

mikeymike

jayheavner, I think a lot of us can relate to being new to the sport and having more enthusiasm than we know what to do with. You're excited and your mind can process things a lot faster than your body is ready to experience them right now. The thing is there really is no substitute for experience. I sincerely hope you stick with running and I hope you are able to find a groove and that a few months or a few hundred easy runs from now you are able to look back and laugh at how much you tried to analyze and read into this one little training run. But that's all it is; one of hopefully hundreds or maybe even thousands (if you're lucky) of every-day training runs. You'll have good ones and bad ones. Sometimes the weather will be really nice and you'll be well-rested and have some extra energy and you'll run too fast and you'll have to take it easy the next day. No big whoop. Part of the process. The one thing that does concern me is that you consider it normal to have your hammy hurt at about 8-miles into a run. I'd keep a careful eye on that and keep things slow until I got that sorted out. Hammys can be a big problem. But otherwise, put this run in the bank and move on. And enjoy the journey.

Runners run

JimR

I respect your right to drink the kool-aid and try the "running by feel" thing.
                and this is different from the HRM kool-aid how?

The Greatest of All Time

I guess I am the only one around here that uses a HRM, but isn't a slave to it. For me it's one indicator of fitness. But more importantly it tells me when I need to cut back and take it easy. Just because you feel great doesn't mean you're not playing hell on your body. But, I drank that kool aid 10 years ago.
                  all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                  jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I guess I am the only one around here that uses a HRM, but isn't a slave to it.
                    One of the only ones. Wink

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I use a HRM because I am an inexperienced runner. It helps me keep the pace easy on easy and recovery days. As I gain the benefit of experience and race more often I seem to be gaining greater consistency. I even leave the HRM at home every now and then. Not sure what I am trying to say other than I see both sides of this debate. There is no substitute for experience, but at the same time you have to start somewhere.
                      JakeKnight

On a side note, the next time you insinuate I am part of the "hippie crowd" you WILL piss me off. There is a distinct difference between hippies and people who just happen to have a ton of experience in this sport.
                        Eh. What do you know? It's not like you ever ran a 2:28 marathon.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

JimR

Not sure what I am trying to say other than I see both sides of this debate. There is no substitute for experience, but at the same time you have to start somewhere.
                          I don't think it's a debate, it's more of just berner referring to running by feel as 'kool-aid' and anyone who does it as a 'hippy', so being a bit of a troll.
                            Eh. What do you know? It's not like you ever ran a 2:28 marathon.
                            Your obvious sarcasm aside, Jake, being fast and giving good advice aren't synonymous. One of the earliest (and best) pieces of advice I picked up when new to running was that you don't follow someone's training plan just because they run faster than you. Anyway, Pfiztinger has a better PR than spaniel anyway. Wink
                            On a side note, the next time you insinuate I am part of the "hippie crowd" you WILL piss me off. There is a distinct difference between hippies and people who just happen to have a ton of experience in this sport.
                            Not sure why you would take offense at my post, but I don't think anyone was questioning your experience. Experience isn't the issue here; the issue is trying to help a fellow runner in our little community here become better runner. In fact, I don't even think I recommended that the OP change his approach. Re-read my post; I actually told him to stay the course with his "running by feel" thing while keeping note of the pluses and minuses.
                            No difference at all. But if a HRM helps keeps you in-check and running healthy, then I say wear the damn HRM. Indeed, the only reason I even posted in the thread is because no one was addressing the injury issue. I have to say it again: if you can't get through a planned 6 mile easy run without aggravating an injury, then something wrong is going on. It could be any one of a hundred things, but when someone posts about an injury within a couple days of trying a new training approach, I don't think I'm off base to raise the possibility that the approach could be part of the problem or could be making the problem worse.

Yeah, I have very short hamstrings, especially the left and nothing I've tried throughout my life has done much with that problem. With all that said, I've never had a problem until I tweaked my left hamstring when I tripped over something during a warmup before a softball game. Sprinting between bases made the problem worse and I promptly let me coach know I was done for the season. All of this was back in June. It's never gotten quite right. On a slow run I can get 8 to 12 miles before it starts letting me know it's there. I haven't done any speedwork since just because I'm trying to rehab it. I think everyone is reading too much into the fact that I chased someone down. I didn't say he was running fast or that I purposely increased my pace to catch him. He was running really slow and it was really just a mental game that helped keep me occupied while I run. The run felt easy. I was probably breathing on every 4th step. I'm chalking it up to I either had a good day or my base speed has increased (which wouldn't be hard). The hamstring could be explained by the fact that even though my base speed has increased, the faster pace still stressed it earlier (and the hilly course didn't help). Tonight I'm running 3 to 5 miles. The weather is a lot cooler today and I might just let it go and see how I feel at the end. I'll let you know.
                              2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly
                                I don't think it's a debate, it's more of just berner referring to running by feel as 'kool-aid' and anyone who does it as a 'hippy', so being a bit of a troll.
                                Since you seem inclined to take a personal shot at me, allow me to clarify. The "hippy" reference is an inside gag in the 2000 Mile group, of which many of the "running by feel" posters are members. If you haven't spent time reading that group's forum, the reference might be lost on you. In any event, its not a terribly inapposite label, considering that we're talking about science-based rigid training schedules, on the one hand, and experience-based run-by-feel training philosophies, on the other hand. (If for some reason you consider "hippy" to be a personal insult, that's your own personal politics at play, and I can't really be held accountable for your sensitivities.) As for the "kool aid" comment, well, I consider that pretty appropriate as well. The whole "running by feel" thing on this message board shares a lot of elements with classic cult culture: the group displays zealous and unquestioning commitment to its belief system; questioning, doubt, and dissent are discouraged or even punished; the group is elitist; the group's beliefs are supported by experiential or anecdotal evidence, and scientific review of the group's beliefs are discouraged; the group has a polarized us-versus-them mentality. Admittedly an overly dramatic comparison, but enough to make me chuckle. For the record, I don't actually think you folks are "hippies" or cultists. I just have a different opinion on how a newer runner can optimally train than you do.