running by feel...what did I do wrong? (Read 1495 times)

What part of 'separate issue' and 'usually get to at least 8 miles before it starts to tweak' didn't you understand?
    Err, stop me when I'm wrong. OP usually gets to 8 miles on easy run before hamstring discomfort. OP sets out on easy 6-8 mile run, but setting his pace "by feel." OP unintentionally goes faster than his normal easy pace, and his hamstring injury surfaces at 4.5 miles (3.5 miles earlier than when not "running by feel") and is severe enough that he cuts the run at 5. OP calling it a separate issue doesn't make it a separate issue. But for purposes of this post, I'll assume you're correct anyway Jim, since that's the answer you want to hear. Roll eyes
    The one thing I've learned from my time here are there are no right answers but lots of wrong questions.
    Jay, don't let the fact that you got caught in the silly crossfire of a silly debate dissuade you from asking any questions you want. And I meant what I said earlier too: I hope your training goes well no matter how you approach it, and I hope you'll keep us posted.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

JimR

Err, stop me when I'm wrong.
      That was a while ago:
      If you set out for an easy run, and ended up injuring yourself or pushing yourself to the edge of injury, then you had a bad run. "Running by feel" did not work out well for you on that day. Period. All apologies to the hippy crowd, but seriously...if a runner has to cut a run short because he ran too fast and injured his hamstring, lets call it what is was: a failed experiment. ... Since you didn't elaborate on how severe or chronic this hamstring injury is, and since I haven't seen you comment as to whether it affected your subsequent workouts, hopefully it was a one-time thing. I do hope that you take it easy and don't risk aggravating the hammy issue. Whatever type of training philosophy you follow, injuries suck. Whatever and whomever's advice you decide to follow, train well and stay healthy.
      You didn't read his post. You decided the hard run caused the injury.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The Greatest of All Time

Yikes.
          No doubt. I am jumping out. Hope my static line deploys this parachute. Whipppeeeeee......
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            Err, stop me when I'm wrong.
            That was a while ago:

My Hero

The rigid "scientific" approach I feel , can co-exist in harmony with the "run by feel" approach if you're not too rigid. Ultimately, this should yield ones greatest potential. Translation: You are (need to be) your own best coach. Smile

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

obsessor

And, not to muddy the waters, but this discussion has very little to do with the argument of "periodization vs. the complex system." (in which I believe periodization can produce superior results but does not work for all people all the time. And hell, some people just like to race a lot throughout the year.) I am fairly sure Berner does not mean "the complex system" a la canova et al. I could be wrong.
                  JakeKnight

I think my irony circuits just overloaded. Holy Mother of Phelps. Get the nets. I have to go laugh myself to sleep now.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

I think my irony circuits just overloaded. Holy Mother of Phelps. Get the nets. I have to go laugh myself to sleep now.
                      Another stellar contribution to the discussion Jake. You are a gem; a real asset to the community. I appreciate your thoughtful insights, and I look forward to many more posts with the same level of intelligence and civility.

A Saucy Wench

Didn't we just have this discussion like a week ago? Or am I getting that senile that I remember things that haven't happened yet. Is now the time to suggest the search function?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

It's all good if it makes you faster. What is faster? Quicker race times; the only realiable yardstick I know of. The rest is a lot of "hippie talk".
                          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                            Why would my level of effort feel less on a fast run than other days when it felt like I was really pushing but was, in fact, going slow?
                            http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/128/117152.htm?pagenumber=1
                            "Psychologically, runners may experience euphoria, a feeling of being invincible, a reduced state of discomfort or pain, and even a loss in sense of time while running,"

My Hero

The horse is not dead. Just sleeping.

Another stellar contribution to the discussion Jake. You are a gem; a real asset to the community. I appreciate your thoughtful insights, and I look forward to many more posts with the same level of intelligence and civility.
                                I totally agree. And I am serious. I got to say that when the posts go over 2 paragraphs, I lose interest and don't even bother reading them with the exception of several posters (Jake is one of those several).
                                Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.