Nathan Belt? Fuel Belt? Spi belt? Phone, gu, water, keys, etc. (Read 5030 times)

Beginner all over again

What do you carry with you when Running?

and how do you carry it?

Water in bottle belt, how many bottles?

PostRun drink? Endurox, Accelerade?

Keys

I.D.

Cell Phone

Wallet

Gu's

Reading Glasses

Cash

etc?

Any pro's or con's on the Fuel Belt versus Nathan Belt? Or any other Water carriers?

I'll be shopping soon.  Thank you!

I dont carry anything with me......on a RARE occassion, I might bring $2 so I can stop and get a bottle of water or gatoraide...but only on a really really hot day when I'm going long during the heated hrs.....

Other then that I dont bring any of the 'stuff' that you mentioned above because its just too much trouble...

One other exception that I just thought of -- sometimes if its raining or might rain, then Ill bring a cap because I wear glasses and the water beads up and i can't see......

Champions are made when no one is watching

Dave

Mostly just a RoadID.

When I'm going longer than 90 minutes, I carry a fuel belt (4 bottle) with a couple of extra dollars just in case and maybe a gu pack or two.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

My dogs are fast, not me

Depends where I'm running and for how long. 

First off, though, I always carry water.  I dehydrate really easily and get migraines, so even for 3 mile runs, I bring a bottle of water.  Not sure if this is just a mental thing, but it's what I do.  I've got a handheld Nathan bottle that I use for anything <7 miles and an amphipod belt that I use for longer runs.  Both are 20 oz and have a little pocket that I can put my car key if I've driven to my run.

If I've driven to my run, I leave my cell and wallet locked in my glove box and keep my id in my fuel belt.  My recovery drink is usually a skinny latte that I pick up at Starbucks on the way home.

I really don't have that much on me other than my water bottle which has a pocket for the needed items of ID and car key. 

Robin

she runs like a girl

I usually bring nothing on a run less than 6 miles but if do anything longer or it's hot out (80+) I'll bring a gel pack and a few dollars but that usually fits nicely in the back of a sports bra (us lucky girls) or in that lovely little pocket that is in the front of most running shorts

Does anyone know what that pocket is really for?

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"
            Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Any pro's or con's on the Fuel Belt versus Nathan Belt? Or any other Water carriers?

I'll be shopping soon.  Thank you!

I was in the running store on Friday and was looking for a new water belt for the long runs.  The only two brands they had were Nathan and Fuel Belt.  Here's my assessment:

Fuel Belt

I liked the Fuel Belt's bottle holder because the fabric is stiff so I can slip the bottle back in with just one hand.  I didn't like the velcro strap because after x (an unknown number) of uses, the velcro will not stick anymore.

Nathan

The bottle holder is made of a softer fabric so I may need two hands to put the bottle back.  The belt clip is a better alternative to velcro strap but the salesperson told me that several customers complained about the clip breaking.  I examined it and it was rather frail looking and if you're not careful, you may break it.

So, I'm still in search of that perfect water belt.

Reading glasses?

Try to keep things easy to start. No idea what distance you may be going, but try a simple bike-style squeezy water bottle. Their ubiquitous. You probably already have one. How much water (or whatever) is very personal and subject to things like weather.

Post run, unless it's say, more than 10 miles, I don't have anything. Chocolate milk is good. For real.

I think a mistake people make, especially new runners, is they have to have all these bells and whistles and must superduperhydrate and fuel intake and, oh my, does this gel have the right electrolyte balance? We've been running eons without this stuff.

Yes, Gatorade- and Gu-type things have their place - heck, I had a GU on Saturday's 16 miler - but it's amazing the people I see who wonder why they're not losing weight with this running thing. Gee, could it be because you ingested more calories on your run than you burned through actual excercise? I wouldn't bother with anything like Gatorade unless I were out for an hour.

(BTW: Not saying you are in this group, I just get rant-y sometimes.)

Sometimes I take a cell phone. Virtually always my license. Twice, I've taken $ and bought a beer on the run. I have shorts w/ a pocket in the back that phone, ID and & fit in.

No experience with Fuel Belt/Nathan. Sorry. Do have a Camelbak Flashflo: www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-CAMFLAS.html: Rarely use it anymore. Good for VERY long runs though.

The idea is to run free and unencumbered, not weighted down with several pounds of mod-cons.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Garmin is about it for me.  One of my three pairs of shoes has a RoadID on it.  I wear them if I'm going for a longer run.  In the summer, I plan my runs so I go by a water fountain at some point.  I throw my car keys under the car.

Best Present Ever

I have a Road ID on my shoes.  For runs under 12 or so miles, I usually carry nothing.  For runs longer than 12, I usually carry water.  I have a fuel belt (4 bottle) and a nathan belt (3 bottle).  I prefer the nathan.  The fuel belt always rides up around my waist, which bugs me, while the nathan stays lower on my hips, which I prefer.  Also, my hands tend to hit the bottles on the fuel belt.  When I'm on call, I carry my blackberry and wear the nathan belt because it has a pocket the blackberry fits in, otherwise, I leave it in the car.  I use a spi belt in races for my bib and my gels (if it's > half marathon).  For training runs, I don't usually take a gel, except for longer long runs.  My keys go in the little pocket of my shorts unless I have the nathan belt on, in which case they go in that pocket.
                      Me, myself and I...and sometimes my dogtags if its a LR: <15...One time I carried a handful of jellybeans on a 20miler, but my hand got all sticky. Sad

Hawt and sexy

Let's see.

For my loop run, there is a well.  So I have a Fuel Belt that has pockets and holds a 20-24 oz. water bottle.  I keep my cell, pepper spray (weirdos and bear/coyotes in the area), key, and a couple of bucks in case I want Gatorade.  It is adjustable and does not bounce once you have it adjusted right.  It is easily adjusted on the run if you don't get it right the first time.

On really short runs (but super hot days), I have a couple of handhelds for the the run that hold the cell, keys and a couple of bucks. One is a Nathan, the other is a cheapie Eddie Bauer from Target.  I like the Nathan better, but the Target one is insulated all around for ice cold drinks on the run.

I have a trail I do long runs on occasionally.  For this I have a Camelbak Flashflo and a Camelbak Charm.  The Charm was bought last season as it was announced that a General Store along the trail was to be closed, so a bigger bladder was needed for hot days.  On the trail I throw in a solar blanket, some duct tape, tiny foot care kit, and maybe an emergancy poncho just in case I get in a bad spot.  (My old cell did not work on most of the trail so if I twisted an ankle badly, there was no call home option, just a sit and wait scenario, and we have bear here.) It all fits well in the pack, but now I have found a couple of sources of fresh water just off the trail, and the new cell works great, so I don't know how much I will use it this year.  The great thing about Camelbaks is the water stays cool, which is super nice on a 20 miler.   Belts that hold single or multiple bottles are going to have p!ss warm water very quickly on a hot day.  The bad thing with Camelbak backpacks is you are going to sweat. We are talking running down dripping on the back of your legs sweat on an 80-plus degree sunny day. 

I have an Ultimate Direction fanny pack that I bought mainly for day hikes that I used on my one ultra attempt.  It is perfect for hiking, and holds two 20-24 oz water bottles so it was great for the ultra.  Plus I had plenty of room for pretzels and gummy bears.  No bounce.  Be aware that fanny packs will make the lower back sweat, so the butt of the outfit is going to be outright wet after a long run on a hot day.

I had a Coleman Camelbak knock off that lasted about 10 training runs before the strap broke.

I have a smaller Coleman fanny pack that I usually take to amusement parks.  I have used it on the run, but it bounces way too much.  It holds one water bottle/pop bottle. 

If you really want to go to town Camelbak makes some really nice backpacks.  But that is more for a hiking thread.

Great, listing this stuff out just confirms that I have too much sh!t.

Ok, now that I have all of that out there, you have to decide what your needs are.  Urban runners are probably not going to need a one or two liter Camelbak, especially if there are a bunch of parks or convenience stores.  (Hell, the you just need a clip on pocket for the cell cash and key...oops 'nother thread)  Trail runnrs might need a Camelbak or a 'seeding' of the trail with water bottles prior to the run.  You might need a cell, or you may run where there is no cell service.  You might need bear/pepper spray.  You might want to carry enough with you into the woods to last for three days when the sh!t hit the fan.  I don't know.  After you figure out what you need, you will have a better idea of what you want in a hydration pack. 

I'm touching your pants.

Top 'O the World!

I too have a variety of things for a variety of different types of runs. Each run is different....also, I run with up to 2 big dogs (usually just one) & so I HAVE to carry a few things....short runs (5M & under), just a pocket or spi-belt type thingy for a house/car key, poop bag & mini purell bottle... 5 & up, I need anywhere from doggie friendly water bottle, which I prefer to carry in a firm fitting waist-pack (REI), to a camel-back w/several options for me & dog (these would be long -either  time or distance).  Scenic/leisurely runs may include a tiny camera.   10 or more miles, I take my cell phone. it's big so I don't usually take it on short runs.  On some mtn trails, the camp knife is more valuable than a cell phone - which often doesn't have service!   longer than 90 mins, I might carry a packet of honey, GU, sample Lara bar, something, but unless I went out under fueled (night before meal) I usually don't need it. ...That said, I do try to run with as little as possible!
                          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Roses Revenge

I use a waist pack that holds a 20 oz bottle of water and has two smallish pockets.  The pockets have

Drivers license, credit card, cash, cell phone and batteries for my hearing aids.  Oh, and car keys.

Paper tape

Usually some dry roasted  peanuts and/or M&Ms or Jelly beans - I get hungry if I'm out more than an hour or so and want real food rather than gels.

I also have a stop watch, Road ID on my shoe, and a pedometer in my pocket.

Next time I'm at the running store, I want to get some pepper spray, just in case.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

...And I do.

I've used a handheld but have now moved to a belt - Ultimate Direction.  I carry pepper spray, cell phone and a few hard candies.

That's it! Be safe, have fun, enjoy your runs.