Running and Job Performance (Read 1134 times)

Friends, I'm looking for some insight into the best time of day to run relative to work. Do you prefer to run before or after work? For those who wake up early to run: Do you find that running too many miles before work saps your energy and affects your job performance throughout the day? Does getting up very early to get in the miles affect how rested and focused your feel? When/what do you eat/drink throughout the day? Thank you!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Run the race God set B4U

I like my morning runs, I get up at 5:45 to be there at 6:00, 3 minutes from my house. I feel great all day, but I have an office job. I run 2x week after work and they make me really tired. I seem to sleep better when I get in an evening run. I really don't see the difference except when I don't run that day. By the way I only run 3-4 miles each time, not an experienced runner...yet Wink I usually eat breakfast at 8:00, when I get to work....gotta have my coffee then.
      5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)
        I don't think my running gets in the way of job performance but surfing and posting on RA sometimes does.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

patarch1

New Haven 08

hi, Running at lunch time is great for my job performance. I am a lot more focused in the afternoon and I do not think about the evening run since I ran at lunch. It is also a good break from the day at the office. Also, I eat lunch later during the day so I do not crash at 4pm.

200 mile bike trip in three days with sleeping gear and change.

Get the Saturday running club back up.

Run below 8 minutes per mile for 6 miles.

hi, Running at lunch time is great for my job performance. I am a lot more focused in the afternoon and I do not think about the evening run since I ran at lunch. It is also a good break from the day at the office. Also, I eat lunch later during the day so I do not crash at 4pm.
            I agree... lunch runs work really well for me too. Seems like a good way to get re-energized and re-focused for the afternoon.

Go Pre!

I don't think my running gets in the way of job performance but surfing and posting on RA sometimes does.
              this could be my demise
                I agree... lunch runs work really well for me too. Seems like a good way to get re-energized and re-focused for the afternoon.
                Ditto!

Feeling the growl again

IF I can get to bed early enough to get enough sleep, and IF my infant lets me get enough sleep to get up when the alarm goes off, and IF I get out the door to run, I find I am more energetic and sharper at work...often though the IFs get in the way and I end up tired and dragging towards the end of the day or when I get home.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Carly E

Carly

"For those who wake up early to run: Do you find that running too many miles before work saps your energy and affects your job performance throughout the day? Does getting up very early to get in the miles affect how rested and focused your feel? When/what do you eat/drink throughout the day?" I feel more energized after I run. I know, wierd conundrum Shocked, but I get too tired after work to be motivated to run. Before=better. By Far. Cool
                    Running is like Mouthwash; if you feel the burn, it's working.
                    RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I've run before work, over lunch, in the afternoon and after work. Lunch runs works best but it depends on the weather. On hot days, a morning run is best. However, running early requires an early night else you'll be snoozing at your desk by 11am and your post lunch food coma will last all afternoon.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Krisruns

i run in the mornings, preferably very early (usually leave my house around 5). I like the solitude, and always feel quite energized. I have the hardest time running later in the day. The morning run clears my brain and means that I start my day with a small personal accomplishment. But I am convinced that everyone's body has a different rhythm and that you need to sort out what works best for you.
                          I'm more focused and alert after running or lifting weights in the morning. I go on an empty stomach first thing. Then I have a breakfast at home (protein and juice usually or a bagel) and another breakfast when I get to work (oatmeal, banana, cottage cheese, coffee). I do go to bed fairly early so I can get up at 5ish but that also keeps me from snacking at night. Just eat sensibly throughout the day. I pack a cooler that I bring to work. Morning or evening is really an individual preference. I like getting it done and then spending the evening with the family. I'm not sure if it's worth much but I think running in the morning also has a metabolic bonus. Your metabolism remains elevated for a while, whereas, if you go to bed shortly after running, your metabolism slows down quicker. It seems to work for me, I'm down about 15lbs since January.

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

I'm more focused and alert after running or lifting weights in the morning. I go on an empty stomach first thing. Then I have a breakfast at home (protein and juice usually or a bagel) and another breakfast when I get to work (oatmeal, banana, cottage cheese, coffee). I do go to bed fairly early so I can get up at 5ish but that also keeps me from snacking at night. Just eat sensibly throughout the day. I pack a cooler that I bring to work. Morning or evening is really an individual preference. I like getting it done and then spending the evening with the family. I'm not sure if it's worth much but I think running in the morning also has a metabolic bonus. Your metabolism remains elevated for a while, whereas, if you go to bed shortly after running, your metabolism slows down quicker. It seems to work for me, I'm down about 15lbs since January.
                            I do the same--usually up early (5am on weekdays, 6am on weekends) so I can get the run in. It wakes me up and lets me really focus during the morning. I was dragging so badly on rest days I now get up regardless and do strength or cross training.

Chris
                            PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Prince of Fatness

I'd have to get up at 3 AM in order to run then get to work on time. I know there are some that do this, but I just can't brink myself to do it, so I run after work. I find that running is a great stress reliever after a days work. The main drawback is in the summer when it is hot. I have some shady trails nearby that I can run when it is real hot, so it's not too bad.

Not at it at all. 

Looks like running before work is the best idea based on this advice and my circumstances; just need to go to bed early, get up early, and eat well! Thank you all!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus