Rock-n-Roll Marathon June 1st, 2008 San Diego (Read 815 times)

My Hero

It may be a little early to get this started, but come Feb. 1st, (16) weeks sounds like less time than 4 months. Ran this last year and really enjoyed this run in spite of the 39 turns an all. Haven't made a decision on what plan to use yet and was wondering if anyone here @ RA plans on doing this and what training plan you're looking at. Maybe it's because I don't have any races planned until them, am starting to get really pumped up just thinking about it. Big grin Cool
      I'll be there! This will be my first full marathon, and I'm very much looking forward to it. I'm planning to use the Hal Higdon Novice program. Good luck!

Amy

My Hero

I'll be there! This will be my first full marathon, and I'm very much looking forward to it. I'm planning to use the Hal Higdon Novice program. Good luck!
        Alright! I pretty much used Hal's "Chicago" program for my first. For someone just wanting to finish, this would probably get the greatest return for the least amount of investment. In his (18) week plan you are starting off with only 15 miles the first week, so from my experience, that mileage was a little low. Luckily, I was able to increase the length of one other run day per week and ended up with fond memory of my first marathon. Thanks, and good luck to you!
        sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

I will start training for this event on February 3, using this training schedule: http://marathontraining.com/marathon/m_sch_2.html I just trained for and ran the Carlsbad Half Marathon, so I feel like I'm ramped up and ready to jump into this schedule.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

For someone just wanting to finish, this would probably get the greatest return for the least amount of investment.
            Yup, that's me! Thanks for the advice, Pegasus. Sdewan, congratulations on your half-marathon and good luck in your training!

Amy

My Hero

I will start training for this event on February 3, using this training schedule: http://marathontraining.com/marathon/m_sch_2.html I just trained for and ran the Carlsbad Half Marathon, so I feel like I'm ramped up and ready to jump into this schedule.
              That looks very close to the schedule and mileage I used for my second marathon. It worked, for the most part pretty well, but I went out little too fast and bonked @ mile 21. What I'm thinking is upping on one of (6) mile runs to (10-12) miles. Another change I'm going to make is to try and run the paces for the "long" run recommended by Pete Pfitzinger in his book, "Advanced Marathoning" and introduce some more "Tempo" runs.l How did you fare in the Carlsbad half & do you have a time goal for San Diego?
              sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

How did you fare in the Carlsbad half & do you have a time goal for San Diego?
                I planned on taking it easy during the Carlsbad Half and finishing in around 2 hours. My previous PR was 1:55. Maybe because I took it easy in the early part of the race, by the last half I still had lots of energy and ended up finishing in 1:50. For the Rock N Roll Marathon (my 2nd marathon), my real goal is to finish in less than 4:20. However, when I put the above HM time into a race predictor, it tells me I can finish a marathon in 3:55. I find that really hard to believe, but it is at least encouraging. My Ultimate goal is to train hard all year so I can run the WDW Goofy next January. I'm more worried about avoiding injuries than achieving any time goals, but it's hard to hold back during a race because you get so caught up in the moment.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

C-R

Sdewan - just to add something to your race predictor. I've run several HMs around 1:50 to 1:55 and my full times are between 3:50 and 4:00 so your estimation is right on target based on my experience. Also, way to go on the goofy. I did this last year and enjoyed it. I took it easy with walk breaks at the water stops and had no troubles (2:01 HM and 4:20 FM). We have small kids so after both runs I was in the parks all day which I think helped with eliminate the soreness. Anyway, best of luck and take a camera for ome pics with the characters - something you won't regret or forget.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

My Hero

For the Rock N Roll Marathon (my 2nd marathon), my real goal is to finish in less than 4:20. However, when I put the above HM time into a race predictor, it tells me I can finish a marathon in 3:55. I find that really hard to believe, but it is at least encouraging.
                    If you can get the mileage in based on the schedule you are following, breaking 4 hrs.should be real doable. Your "half" time was very close to mine when I ran SD last year & I hit 3:58:00 I was on pace for a 3:45 @ mile 21 when the wheels came off...
                      this will be my third time running the RnR!!! It will be 6 weeks after Boston and I'll probably stick with some portion of the pfitz 18-50 that I have been/will be using for Surf City and Boston. In 2006 I use Hal's Int I and in 2007 used Int II and had great success (IMO). It's the only marathon I've ever done but I like the course...miles 16-22 of the course are part of my regular running routine.

Jennifer mm#1231

My Hero

this will be my third time running the RnR!!! It will be 6 weeks after Boston and I'll probably stick with some portion of the pfitz 18-50 that I have been/will be using for Surf City and Boston. In 2006 I use Hal's Int I and in 2007 used Int II and had great success (IMO). It's the only marathon I've ever done but I like the course...miles 16-22 of the course are part of my regular running routine.
                        So, you qualified for Boston in San Diego? Outstanding! It is possible I can BQ this year @ the RnR, but I may come up 5-7 minutes short based on my current fitness. May have to wait until 2009 since I go into a new age category.
                          So, you qualified for Boston in San Diego? Outstanding! It is possible I can BQ this year @ the RnR, but I may come up 5-7 minutes short based on my current fitness. May have to wait until 2009 since I go into a new age category.
                          yep...I missed BQ by almost 3 minutes my first time out and just squeeked it in this year. Big grin There's a lot of time between now and June...just do mileage, mileage, mileage and lots of it! good luck!! I'm aiming for your BQ time next week, I'll let you know how it feels, LOL.

Jennifer mm#1231

My Hero

There's a lot of time between now and June...just do mileage, mileage, mileage and lots of it! good luck!! I'm aiming for your BQ time next week, I'll let you know how it feels, LOL.
                            Yes, please do! That will give me an exact time to hit... I could use a little (lot) more mileage. Just getting up to 40 a week for a couple of months from 25-30 miles per week made a big difference, so if I can get a few weeks in @ 52-55 I would be happy. Thanks & good luck next week.

My Hero

Was able to get back to 41 miles last week following a recovery week of about 20 miles after a half. I've decided to pretty much use bits-n-pieces of both Pfitz & Daniels' training schedules. This will be my first marathon where I will incorporate specific paces for my long runs and put in LT or tempo runs.

My Hero

FYI. Save $10.00 off the entry fee for this marathon. Use promotion code: AZSURVEY This offer is good to use anytime with no expiration date.