Swim/interval distance wrong units (Read 453 times)

krull_etc

Hi,

I have swim workouts setup in RA with the default unit as yards.  If I hand type the workout, everything works ok.  However, if I use my Garmin FR60 to upload lap times and then hand type in distances (both hand typing #yards/interval and total # of yards), it converts the units to miles on the saved workout entry as shown below.  It does show the corrects unit on the calendar page.  This makes it hard to quickly look at split distances and also the pace can be off because of rounding.  (I had a 100 yd interval done in 1:30.0 display as a 1:31 /100 YD pace this week)

screenshot

Did you change the measured unit of the rest laps to "yds"?

I will assume that you did not and if you don't change the rest lap unit, RA will default to the longest unit, which are miles.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

krull_etc

I typed all the units in as yards.  there are no units measured by the garmin.  each interval only had time data, so i typed in 300 yds, 400 yds, etc., swapped the rest time periods to "rest" from "interval", and typed the total workout distance by hand (instead of using the auto-sum)

I also went back and swapped the units on the rest intervals from Mi to yds (even though the length was 0), but that had no affect.

I typed all the units in as yards.  there are no units measured by the garmin.  each interval only had time data, so i typed in 300 yds, 400 yds, etc., swapped the rest time periods to "rest" from "interval", and typed the total workout distance by hand (instead of using the auto-sum)

I also went back and swapped the units on the rest intervals from Mi to yds (even though the length was 0), but that had no affect.

I also use a garmin to time and count my laps, then upload to RA becasue I can't remember the lap count after about ten laps, I suppose its becasue I can't use my toes to help count while swimmingSmile. Anyway I was also changing the rest time lap to "rest", but gave up on that becasue I know it was a rest without having to read it. If I missed changing the distance marker from "mi" to "yds"  on ONE lap, the whole session would default to Miles swam instead of yards.

Thats all the help I can give you. It would be nice if all the laps would use the unit that we set for the default activity unit, but it doesn't. Check to see that every entry for that workout is in yds, reguardless if you called it an interval, rest or recovery lap.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

eric :)

krull_etc,

When you import your workouts, the Garmin data overrides the manually entered data, which is why you are not able to change the entries.  I don't remember the exact reason why it is this way but I will revisit it in the near future.

eric :-)

krull_etc

Eric, thanks for looking into this.  i thought i'd justified my watch purchase with a time change on swim logging.  oops. Smile

wyerock

I've had the same problem for a while now.  It popped up in one of the bigger updates a while back.

What's interesting is that the Garmin data is in meters (it has a bunch of <DistanceMeter> tags with 0s), and my swim units are in yards, so that's not where the issue comes from.

It seems ALL the summary pages (for any activity) use the unit from "Locale Settings" rather than the activity specific unit setting.

eric :)

wyerock,

I think this is how it always behaved.  The last batch of changes didn't touch this area.  I have plans to add more statistics to this page and I'll fix this problem then.

eric :-)