Anyone run in Mizuno? (Read 921 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Need a hand deciphering which model is which.

I need a mid-range, lightweight trainer with some support.

Currently run most of my miles in Asics 2130s - so something roughly equivalent, but a bit lighter and more flexible.

Any ideas?

I am currently thinking about the Wave Inspire 5 (or 4 if I can find them discounted)

The shirtless wonder

For a lightweight trainer with support you'll want the either the Elixir or the Ascend.  Check out the matrix on the mizuno site.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

For a lightweight trainer with support you'll want the either the Elixir or the Ascend.  Check out the matrix on the mizuno site.

Ascend is a trail shoe (and one that I like--it actually FITS my foot, hallelujah!).  Elixir would be my suggestion for what you're looking for, Tom.

I will say that I probably won't buy a second pair, though.  For me they are still a hair narrow and I get blisters between my smaller toes when I do more than 8 miles or so.  I also have found that the little forefoot traction dots are wearing very fast...80 miles in and a couple are worn almost even to the white midsole.  Sheesh.

Something else to consider is the Wave Nexus.  I think it's supposed to be between the Elixir and Inspire in terms of stability.  Apparently it's an entry-level shoe that's missing some of the bells-n-whistles.  Maybe compare it to the 1100 Asics series...?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

flatland mountaineer

As Greg said the Elixars. The Ascends are their trail shoe and weigh quite a bit more cause of the sole I expect. I have both and weighed them just messing around. The Inspires are similar to the 2140's. I am on my second pair of Elixars for my race shoes, they are 3's I think, the first ones were 2's and both were on the sales racks. I have a pretty narrow foot and the Elixars fit well but the Ascends and Inspires fit me wide. Other than the occasional tempo I don't wear my Elixars cept on race day.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

...---...

I run in the wave inspire - sounds about right oer your description. very lightweight but the stability would be considered light to moderate, I think. I'm on my 3rd pair...they seem to work well for me. It's tough for me to do >10 miles in them...just not a lot of cushion.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

I have pair of Mizuno Ispire 5's and realively light at 10.3oz?? but the function of a full weight trainer, very comfy....when first got them felt like runniing in slippers but with support. 

Although I liked these when I bought them /still like, they are Stability and really think the Nuetral shoes are better for me and have NB 1063 Nuetral that  seems to fit me better.  Rotate back and forth.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Imminent Catastrophe

+1 on Inspires. Nice and light and comfortable. I may switch from Asics.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I hate these shoe threads .... Start checking out the different sites / models and next thing .... Oooo I need a Pair of those

Just say NO ... Wife is already calculating the value of my shoe shelf out in the garage.  they don't buy the "each shoe has its purpose"  although to be fair my now casual shoe and defintly the lawn pair should not count against me.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

I also run in GT21xx's , which I alternate with Mizuno Wave Nirvana's.  

These are a bit clunkier/heavier, but once you break them in, woa baby, they drive like a dream...

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

The shirtless wonder

The Inspires have more support than the Elixirs.  That could be good or bad depending on your situation.  I developed plantar fasciitis when I started using Inspires.  Over time I realized that my feet felt better when I wore the elixir (with less support).  I tried the Precisions (neutral) and things are even better with those.

Greg

I hate these shoe threads .... Start checking out the different sites / models and next thing .... Oooo I need a Pair of those

Just say NO ... Wife is already calculating the value of my shoe shelf out in the garage.  they don't buy the "each shoe has its purpose"  although to be fair my now casual shoe and defintly the lawn pair should not count against me.

Wait just a minute... You're wife is lecturing you on shoes and the theory of  "each shoe has a purpose." This could be a first...

I teased my wife when we got married that when she moved in she would have needed a uhaul just for the shoes. I have lots of running shoes but the number comes no where close to the number of shoes my wife has. 

Wait just a minute... You're wife is lecturing you on shoes and the theory of  "each shoe has a purpose." This could be a first...

I teased my wife when we got married that when she moved in she would have needed a uhaul just for the shoes. I have lots of running shoes but the number comes no where close to the number of shoes my wife has. 

That is my rebuttal ... As just say that I am quit certain over the past 16 years she has spent way more on shoes than I ... women tend to go for quantity over quality (Present female company excluded of course) ... Heck why would you want a comfy shoe when you can get a good deal on mauve pumps that hurt like hell, but the are super cute.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That is my rebuttal ... As just say that I am quit certain over the past 16 years she has spent way more on shoes than I ... women tend to go for quantity over quality (Present female company excluded of course) ... Heck why would you want a comfy shoe when you can get a good deal on mauve pumps that hurt like hell, but the are super cute.

Heh, I'm definitely not the stereotypical woman.  I think I have maybe 2 pair of dressy shoes (cheap and rarely worn).  Then my 2 pair of $$ Dansko clogs that are super comfy, practical, orthopedic, and bomb-proof...my Keen sandals, and my running shoes.

That said, if cute, girly shoes actually fit my feet I'd probably have more.  I like the looks of a sassy pump with jeans...would make me look taller and longer-legged, too.  But wides are too hard to find and too $$. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

...---...

...and really think the Nuetral shoes are better for me and have NB 1063 Nuetral that  seems to fit me better.  Rotate back and forth.

I just got a pair of the 1063's. I've had to tread lightly in those but love the cushioning and fit. And yeah, it's straight up nuetral. I had to add the blue super feet insoles and can now do longer runs in them. 

Greg -

I've never considered the Elixir. Hmm. How long do you run in those at a workout (miles or time, which ever is greater)?

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

The shirtless wonder

Greg -

I've never considered the Elixir. Hmm. How long do you run in those at a workout (miles or time, which ever is greater)?

I used Elixirs for all of my runs.  That includes at least one run over 22 miles. I was using Elixirs before I tried the Inspire.

My only complaint with the Elixirs is that they have "nobbies" on the sole of the shoe at the toe.  I wore through those VERY quickly.  But I wear my sneakers until they don't feel right anymore (rather than looking at wear on the sole).  I would get about 400 miles on the Elixirs before I replaced them.  By 400 miles the nobbies were gone.

Greg