Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Mark/Zebano thanks for the weights advice. Mark what weight are you lifting and what did you start with ?

So, bear in mind I used to do a lot more weights than I do now!

I would normally do a warm-up set of squats with the bar (20kg) and then 3 x 6 at 60kg.  Maybe a bit more weight if I'm feeling really good.  Deadlifts generally exactly the same.  I could probably push the weights a bit harder but I don't want the DOMS to mess with my running for the next 2 days.

I used to be able to get up to around 140kg on squats and at one point I could deadlift 200kg as a one-rep max.  I was always more conservative with the squats because, well, you can drop the weight easily enough when you're doing deadlifts!  Plus I was probably around 10kg heavier then.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Thanks Mark.

I have a mate who is doing squats at 210kgs x2 once 185kgs x3 4 times as posted videos on Instagram. Hes doing comps as a master.

So my 15kgs isn't looking too impressive  but nevertheless I have doms from it.

I will try and get some more weights and lessen the reps but up the weight.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

140kg is a very good squat.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

darkwave

Mother of Cats

140kg is a very good squat.

I converted to pounds, and I feel a little queasy now.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

zebano

140 kgs!!! That's a heck of a squat. Could you dunk?  I've never exceed 285 for a deadlift and 245 for squat and I was heavier then. FWIW I got some goals from Jay Dicharry's book Running Rewired.

• Romanian Deadlift: 3x6: 2xBodyWeight
            • Hip Thrust: 3x6 2xBW
            • Split Squat: 6-rep goal is 1.3-1.5xBW
            • High bar back squat: 3x6: 1.3-1.5xBW

That split squat goal seems a bit ambitious given the high bar goal but I'll give it a go regardless.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - 15kg is a good start, even without weights is fine to tune in the form. Stay there for at least a month. You will have the itch to lift heavier weights. Don’t. 

Your strength training needs to be at around 30% effort, super easy. Let the tendons adapt to this new situation. 

Get your son a job, he will be behaving well soon enough Big grin

At least that’s what mom did. Both me and my brother were causing trouble. I was 12 he was 10.

So she got us both part time jobs. I took the job of office boy at the local union. Mornings at school, afternoons at the job.

It was awesome, I didn’t do really much and I was paid the huge salary of 5 USD per month, LOL.

My brother started working as a helper at a car mechanic.

Neither jobs last long.

At the union the secretary was having an affair with some dude and I reckon I was on the way. Or it was because I wasn’t really doing anything.

My brother’s job also ended quickly when he he drank a gulp of gasoline trying to pull gasoline out of a car and into a jar 

Darkwave - at first I was puzzled as cicadas were pretty common when I was a child, I remember there was that time of the year were you could see their shells everywhere.

But those are pretty rare, 17 years is a very long time.

Cicadas are gross!

Zeb - yeah, you are right, need some Torins.

If you’re aiming for those huge weights then you must be strong AF.

Mark - I think squatting twice the body weight is common in 400 runners. 60kg will feel relatively easy for you and certainly generate no DOMS.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Running Problem

Problem Child

squats 140 kg is definitely impressive. I think "double your body weight" is always impressive. As much as I hate hills I'd hate leg day, but in that "oh it's time to put in work, this won't be fun, and we aren't going to enjoy it" type of way to reap the benefits later.

JMac You take stairs during marathon training? wow dude, I'm actually impressed. I work on the 4th floor and typically avoid them especialy after workouts. How is the daughter doing? She's 10 months right?

Zeb I'd say you did a good job on the long run if you're going by effort and backing off. If your sprint triathlon is this upcoming weekend I'm sure you're doomed for missing one workout 7 days before race day.

Marathon fatigue I think it is just natural to feel tired during training. Not like you're needing more sleep and can't carry yourself, but for me personally it's just a "yeah it feels like I've been running a lot more, and I've included harder workouts" since I don't really do speed work unless I'm training for a race. It's this weird "I'm kinda tired/worn out but I feel like I could do an 8 miler on lunch" feeling.

cicidas nope...don't think we have those in the desert. I think I recorded them in a tree in Broken Arrow, OK one summer. WE have Mormon Crickets though. No they don't ride bikes, and no they don't hand out literature. They just eat everything.

Piwi If you're going to start with squats just make sure you're going light. NO ONE likes doing heavy squats the day or two after them. It's always easier to add more weight at the next workout. There is a school of thought that low reps are for power/strength and high reps are for endurance/cardio. Much like a marathon pace and 1 mile pace. I think too many people start with body weight. You could probably do 45kg on a barbell (total weight) and judge from there how much weight is enough. If you are using dumbbells it gets expensive, and hard to find 45+kg weights.

Also I'm coachless. I use books and the wisdom from this forum/Strava. I considered it years ago, and sometimes wonder if I'd have gotten to where I am FASTER with a coach. I think it is 75% financial, 12.5% lack of research (previously they had in person trainings I couldn't make) and 12.5% "I enjoy doing this myself so I can claim all the glory" as to why I don't have a coach.

cfarr I sometimes make myself pull my shoulders down to relax my neck. I don't think the chiropractor will snap your neck, but if they do you get some time off from the chiropractor. I tried to treat my chiro appointments as a massage when I went. I haven't gone in years though. Maybe it would do some good, but ain't nobody got time for that.

5x1k seems to have gone well last night. I cherry picked number 5 to finish the workout. #4 was into the wind and instead of suffering I decided not to fight it. While I didn't FEEL a push behind me while running the last one, and the heart rate was at 180 (above the VO2 max goal) I think the workout went as intended and I hit the paces I was going for while also backing off the 6:00-6:13 initial paces. I guess I am in better shape than my March 5k time trial/PR so I have no reason NOT to go all out on Saturday.

I emailed the RD asking about waves since they're mentioned on the website, and also because COVID 19 blah blah blah. The reply was pretty much "yeah I should think about that and talk to our timer because there is a hard left hand turn really early in the race to cross a bridge." uhhhh yeah dude it's Saturday. Might want to figure this out before Friday at 10pm. At least the turn around is clearly marked with a cement wall.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

zebano

JMac You take stairs during marathon training? wow dude, I'm actually impressed. I work on the 4th floor and typically avoid them especialy after workouts. How is the daughter doing? She's 10 months right?

Zeb I'd say you did a good job on the long run if you're going by effort and backing off. If your sprint triathlon is this upcoming weekend I'm sure you're doomed for missing one workout 7 days before race day.

5x1k seems to have gone well last night. I cherry picked number 5 to finish the workout. #4 was into the wind and instead of suffering I decided not to fight it. While I didn't FEEL a push behind me while running the last one, and the heart rate was at 180 (above the VO2 max goal) I think the workout went as intended and I hit the paces I was going for while also backing off the 6:00-6:13 initial paces. I guess I am in better shape than my March 5k time trial/PR so I have no reason NOT to go all out on Saturday.

I emailed the RD asking about waves since they're mentioned on the website, and also because COVID 19 blah blah blah. The reply was pretty much "yeah I should think about that and talk to our timer because there is a hard left hand turn really early in the race to cross a bridge." uhhhh yeah dude it's Saturday. Might want to figure this out before Friday at 10pm. At least the turn around is clearly marked with a cement wall.

Not 100% sure if you're trying to be funny but I laughed a lot at the stairs comment and the missing a workout ruining a race one.

I don't know how useful HR is in a VO2 workout though I think Jack Daniels would disagree with me as his whole premise is that you're trying to maximize time running at VO2max. Give it a full send on Saturday and bring one of those portable holes the RoadRunner has to fool all your competitors into the wall so you can win.

Flavio those are more like long term goals. I deadlifted 2x5x205 and 1x5x225 last week but my squat is at 3x5x135 because I got huge DOMs a few weeks ago and haven't increased it for fear they'd come back.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

RP good job on the 5x1k. Look forward to your result on the 5k this weekend.

I'm going very light on the weight, have no choice as don't have more weight 

Flavio thanks is once per week enough for a strength session ?

Funny on you and your brother. My son is looking for a part time job. He's been going to the gym for about 3 months and starting to get some muscle. I remember my mother talking about my oldest brother been terrible to her and he left home at 16. Must be a gene on my side 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Running Problem

Problem Child

Zeb serious about taking the stairs after a workout. I do my workouts on lunch at work during Marathon training, and I live in a single story house. JMac is CRAZY fast and if he's taking the subway those stairs can start to add up.

sarcastic for the workout ruining the race.

piwi thanks man. I'm looking forward to it. Graduation later that afternoon so I have to be done and home with time to clean up and leave so going fast is in my best interests.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Sorry for my lack of posting. Still in a base building / random workout here and there phase, so not as dedicated. That will change come July/August. Still planning on running this socially distanced 5K next week that will be more like a time trial. Can't complain though, first "race" since February 2020.

RP - daughter is good, thank you for asking. She's just learned to pull up, so now the fun begins where I can't leave her for more than 5 seconds without worrying what trouble she is getting herself into.

Piwi - the more we learn about genetics, the more we learn that environment doesn't matter as much as we think. Both a cool and horrifying thing to feel as a parent.

Mark - your squat ability explains a lot of your running talent across different distances.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Jmac - oh boy.  You are about to enter the 'nothing is safe' phase.  It's so easy before they can crawl because you can just leave them on the ground and be reasonably confident that when you come back they'll be more or less where you left them.  All bets are off now.  Also expect a lot of falling over!  Having said that, it's a very fun time.  It feels like they learn something new almost every day.

RP - nice job on the 5 x 1k.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

zebano

Piwi - the more we learn about genetics, the more we learn that environment doesn't matter as much as we think. Both a cool and horrifying thing to feel as a parent.

Ohh good luck with the daughter. That time is super cute but also super time consuming. I listened to a TED talk about this the other day. Parenting just doesn't matter the way we think it does but genetics also doesn't mean your kids are going to be exactly like you or each other too. Fairly fascinating subject if a bit depressing.

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac I wish I could go back to pull ups being a problem. Mine had a 90 minute fit at bed time. He also tells me how it's going to be all the time. It's kind of fun to watch him hold up one finger, tell me "hold on daddy. I be wite back. okay? you stay here." and listen to him scurry down the hall. It gets better, and worse. I'm not really sure how I'm going to train for a sub 3 with 2 kids, but I know I have 24 hours a day.

VDOT 53.37 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - Good to see you checking in, and good luck with your daughter.  Luckily you have superb top end speed.

RP - Nice 5x1km workout.  I think you're in good shape for an impressive result in the 5km.

Some pretty impressive squat stats.  These days I use a couple of 12kg dumbbells when I do squats but when I lived in Melbourne and belonged to a gym I got some decent numbers - I have pretty big legs and I'm quite short and stocky...just a pity I hate doing weights so much!

Halfway through my biggest week of training - the running is going well but more external stress due to the on-going saga of Mum's health and stubborn nature.  2 falls over the weekend, 2 ambulance visits and 2 refusals to go to hospital.  A GP visit on Tuesday led to him sending her to hospital as he suspected she'd had a stroke or had a brain bleed (she was way more cognitively impaired than usual, was unable to even understand how to plug in her phone to charge it).  Her GP has said I should invoke power of attorney if she tries to go home again.  After 2 nights in hospital she's improved and is retaining information better and is less confused, so I've stopped confusing her with Joe Biden for now.  Overall this is good news I think, I feel less stressed going to sleep each night she's in proper care knowing I'm likely to sleep through the night.  She has a St John alarm around her neck but didn't push it the second night so froze on the bathroom floor for 6 hours before her home carer arrived in the morning - this is the level of stubborn I'm dealing with!  Anyway, the point of all that is to apologise in advance if I'm a bit absent although I'm going to try to keep things normal where I can.

I had my midweek medium-long run yesterday - a strongish headwind for the second half gave me some good practice doing MP into a wind.  I actually held the pace better with the wind and lifted my effort a bit too much into the wind and ended up 5-10 seconds per km too fast.  The positive was a 22km run, which not long ago was my weekend long run, felt very comfortable.  4.5 weeks until race day which is creeping up on me very quickly!  That must mean I'm not too beaten up yet.  I've got some concerns about Covid outbreaks with what is going on in Australia (we have an NZ-Australia bubble at the moment).  One thing is for sure, if anything impacts the race I will not be doing a time trial or continuing indefinite marathon training as Mark did last year!  And for now I'm thinking getting to Melbourne for the half in October is down to about 20%.  Even if I can get there, if the risk of getting stuck there is still too high I probably won't take my chances.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024