Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark - I’m only using the Daniels notation to save time heh, those are Hansons workouts.

To be fair, the plan called originally for the cruise intervals to be done at 10k pace, but I figured that’s nuts, first of all because the base plan I’m using is very old, second of all because it’d be insane.

So I’m running these at HMP or slightly faster, which is effectively T pace.

Darkwave - is life back to boring normal in your neighbourhood?

Massive long run by the way.

Zeb - 10 hours of work is a lot!

Not sure I’d want to run barefoot strides, that grass is also an open air dog toilet

Steve - that’s completely normal, you will be running your workouts too fast in no time 

me - I threw my back again yesterday. I had noticed my back was iffy lately, and when I tried the squats holding the kettlebell on just one side my back gave up. I'm assuming I did it with poor form.

I've stopped the workout and cancelled the run. No run for me today either.

It's at 5% tightness right now, so I'm thankful to be able to sit on a chair again.

Perhaps I'll be able to run tomorrow.

As a result I've pushed the date of my "Half Marathon" one week further and I'll restart the week next Monday as if nothing had happened.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Piwi don't you worry your Junior is going to shoot up pass you and make you feel "short" Big grin

Zebano: happy belated b-day.

Flavio: what's a good recovery for your 800m repeats? On the jumps, I knew it was the shoes. Barefoot just doesn't feel the same. Get well!

Dan Lauer - running like a maniac. Why doesn't he post here anymore?

Rune: common take the dog out! You are ramping it up quickly, good to see that! Hope your injury (not the bull riding one) isn't bothering you too much. Did you see the Russian cross country champ that hit the Finnish opponent Big grin Cross country skiing is a dangerous sport!

RP: is it moderate in summer temperature wise? I prefer the heat over the cold and prefer to get up early. There is a lot of snowbirds that go down to Arizona, Florida etc to avoid the cold, I guess you won't be one of them once you retire!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

zebano

Flavio  Hanson does cruise work at 10k pace?? I totally don't recall that but it is absolutely nuts. That'd be a great specific workout just before .... you know? racing a 10k. Shame about the field, barefoot strides feel amazing when the local high schoolers aren't on the football field (no dogs allowed). Is this a reoccurring back issue?

To everyone saying 10 hours of work is a lot:

1. My last 5 weeks before this were (eyeballing off a graph - I should track this more precicely): 10.1, 9.9, 11.8, 13, 11.5

2. I really focus on hitting my 80-20 splits in running and my crosstraining is more like 95-5. A zone 2 run is roughly 130-140bpm but most cycling is 105-120 bpm. Swimming is a bit different due to the intervals but even there I don't usually top 150.

3. My "10 miler" on Sunday was full on ultra mode, hike the hills, chat with friends, average 120bpm. I'm not sure what effect this has on fitness but exploring new trails and seeing people in a semi-safe manner is good for my mental health.

Rune it's funny you mention that, I'm in a similar boat where most of my swims and rides are 20 minutes... mostly just to say I'm practicing all 3 disciplines (and the swimming is mostly form work / drills) . I doubt there's much of an aerobic benefit from all that but I also don't think it can hurt if the effort is properly moderated. 60-90 minutes would be pretty beastly.

Keen I'd love to see the stryd stuff! I wonder how accurate it is, especially the recovery portion. and that's one heck of a week.

Watson I've got fingers crossed for your assessment.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Zebano - Your move (finally)!
          I'm interested in seeing just how accurate those predictions are as well. I will say that the only time I've been able to somewhat test this was almost 1.5 years ago when I did a 5000m TT. I did it all by effort, purposely not looking at power/pace. I was about dead at the finish, and afterwards saw my average power was 2W lower than my predicted best for the distance, which would have been 1 or 2 (3 at most) sec/mi at that level.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW  That's a heck of a run in my book, maybe even more impressive as you didn't feel well but got it done anyways. You seem to always do your long runs as 1/3 easy 1/3 moderate 1/3 faster... how do you decide on paces for sections 2 and 3? If I had to guess I'd say the middle section is roughly aerobic threshold and the final third is roughly lactate threshold pace but scaled back due to distance?

So.... the prescribed format is:

1/3 easy (at least 1:30-2:00 slower than MP; slower than that is fine);

1/3 moderate (0:45-1:00 slower than MP);

1/3 MP.

I do by effort instead of pace - I pretty much know what each effort feels like, and I also look at my HR regularly as a double check (of course with a little leeway in very hot or cold weather).  The easy portion should be in the 140s for HR; the moderate portion in the 150s, and then marathon effort for me is usually the mid-160s rising up to 170 or so at the very end.

Running in the rain - I don't mind it unless it's cold.  I prefer a drizzling rain on a warm day to clear skies.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - that’s completely normal, you will be running your workouts too fast in no time 

Haha, comment of the year so far!  I read that to my partner and she had a good chuckle, even as a non-runner.  Hope your back comes right...this is clear evidence strength training is a bad idea 

darkwave - completely agree on ideal conditions - light rain, not cold and light winds.  Perfect.

piwi - I work from home Thursday and Friday - do you think you'd have time to come out my way (15 min drive from the centre of town)?  Or I could move my work from home day around.  I'll see how the week pans out.

CK - Thanks - one small note, Queenstown is on 20/11 not 20/9.

watson - Yep, on a nice day, that Wellington course is spectacular.  I did the half in 2008 on a day with 100km/h northerlies and heavy rain - everyone was soaked before the end of the race briefing.  It's a tough way to start a race.  I actually had a good day and finished in 1:33 and felt that the conditions probably cost me a rare sub 90.

me - taking the day off after Mum had a fall last night and broke her nose and wrist, so I spent half the night in the ED.  The decision to get her a personal ambulance alarm a few months ago has paid off big time.  I hate to think how long until she was found if I hadn't got a call from St John.  Before I go and organise where she will be living for the next 6 weeks, I'll go for a run at close to the worst time of a hot day...I'm sure that will be good for me!

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Steve - Sorry to hear about your mum. I hope she recovers well. I bet that run does you some good, even if it is at the hottest part of the day.
                Race date has been updated.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

Mick - there was a bit of hoo-ha and chest-beating on the marathon thread last year and DPS kind of disappeared off the forums after that (he wasn't party to any of it, he just didn't like it and fair enough, I kind of avoided that thread after that too).

Steve - sorry to hear about your mum.  Hope she is OK now and recovers quickly.  That run will be good for your mental health, if nothing else.

Flavio - ugh, hope that back comes right quickly.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Watson good hear you are close to a full return. You are always very disciplined with your recovery.

Flavio bugger on the back. I'm having my 2nd physio session tomorrow on my back. Its right up top this time rather than the usual lower back.

I can still run fine though.

Rune do you follow the Ingerbrigtsens? I watch alot of their YouTube stuff. I wish I spoke Norwegian though 😕

Mick id be very happy if he grew taller than me. My oldest managed to grow slightly taller. My 2 daughters are more average at 5'5 and 5'6.

My sisters are all 5ft even so the dwarfism is on my side 

Steve oh that sucks and a big worry for you. Hope she's ok.

Yes I can come out if better for you. We will have a rental car.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mick - 400s are a good recovery.

Zeb - I found this really old Hansons half marathon plan online in a PDF file.

I don’t think they do that anymore, I was coached by Luke last year and the plan had a lot more variation than the schedule from the book.

Yeah, unfortunately it’s a recurring lower back issue. This one time I spent the day moving like a dog (hands on the ground) cause I couldn’t stand up.

Steve - sorry to hear about your mom

Piwi - Yeah, I had the upper back attack as well, I couldn’t sleep, so I sit on the couch all night long trying to be as immobile as possible.

In Brazil I had access to a muscle relaxant medicine that helped tremendously, but here in Italy they’re really strict and will at most give me anti inflammatories.

I want to avoid those as they can kill your kidneys.

Me - I’m feeling much better, did a short 20 min run today to assess things. Systems seem to be a go, I should hopefully be able to do a longer run tomorrow.

I had a dear aunt recently have to wait more than a week for a ICU bed (she needs a biopsy done by surgery) because 76% of the ICU beds are taken by people who can’t breathe.

That got me thinking, once travel returns, it will be interesting as nearly everybody will have “war stories” from the times of covid, except the Kiwis. They’ll tell stories about barbecuing and going to rock concerts and full stadium cricket matches 

Hmm, this reminds me that just before covid hit I found out about various Rammstein concerts all over Europe. I rushed to the ticket site only to find out all concerts were already sold out except Zurich, where it cost 469x more.

I remember thinking at the time that the covid thing would probably be gone in about 3 weeks. At the time people were beating up and generally harassing anybody resembling "asian look". That feels like it was 10 years ago.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Flavio: thanks for the 400 meters - I might shorten the recovery, when running on fresh legs (which for me as a hobby jogger is almost always the case). On ticket prices: we keep them this high to avoid having Italians flood our beautiful country (sorry Marco and Flavio but I was raised to always tell the truth Smile ). I don't care for the music but I never realized that Rammstein is spelled different from Ramstein, the place the US had an Army-base and the location of a terrible accident (caused by Italians...) during an air show in the 80's. Regardless of this, I think its a great name but the music....meh

Piwi: I root for your boy, I am also rather short (5.6"). But you know what they say about men with short legs.....short legs, short pants! And a lot of leg room on airplanes.

Mark: I didn't follow that episode on the marathon thread. We should get DPS back here, he would overtake Piwi as the mileage (consistency) king.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I hate how Garmin "calculates" resting HR. That is all.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Thanks all.

So when I ran it was 33C (92F) with the sun high in the sky.  Very tough going but thankfully a cool change has come through so perhaps it will make my next few runs feel much easier.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

I hate how Garmin "calculates" resting HR. That is all.

Yeah, it's annoying huh?  I have a sustained period at 39bpm and my Fenix 5S decides my RHR is 43?

The way it worked on the FR235 was different but also flawed.  It would just take whatever the lowest measurement was (notwithstanding there could've been a spurious low reading).  So I would have days where my RHR was 35 or something stupid like that.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Yeah, it's annoying huh?  I have a sustained period at 39bpm and my Fenix 5S decides my RHR is 43?

The way it worked on the FR235 was different but also flawed.  It would just take whatever the lowest measurement was (notwithstanding there could've been a spurious low reading).  So I would have days where my RHR was 35 or something stupid like that.

I've always wondered how my watch was arriving at that value!

I'm a big fan of tracking resting HR the old-fashioned way: before getting out of bed in the morning, count the beats for 1 minute (I measure it at my wrist while watching the bedside clock). It's a great measure of how recovered you are, and factors in everything (stress, sleep quality, illness). Throughout a training cycle it usually gets lower and I think gives a good idea when you are at peak fitness. Last cycle I hit a low about 5 weeks out from my race, then it climbed back up, and I do think I peaked about 5 weeks early. I check it a couple of mornings a week, usually right before a hard workout or a long run.

2:52:16 (2018)