Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

All hail the supreme leader.

Well done earning your position by dethroning Keen, we expect you to maintain those high standards next year.

I also enjoy the mile. It's over quickly and recovery is excellent. That's why I raced a beer mile last weekend, it's the ultimate in slacking off during the offseason.

FWIW i'm not so sure I'm really moving all that much weight relative to bodyweight (PS 1 pound is less weight than 1 KG Wink ) . That said, power cleans are a lot of fun and if you're confident in your form, everyone should try them.

So much win in that post 👏👏👏

FWIW we're all weaklings when compared to the Carola Garras of the world. But you're dead lifting more than your own body weight which is excellent especially considering you're also running many hours in a week. And you've been very consistent about it, that sub 40 10k is coming soon.

I will say though that a sub 5 mile is your most difficult lifetime target, followed by the sub 3 marathon.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Running Problem

Problem Child

me - I'll throw my hat in the ring for thread supreme leader next year. If selected:

- it will be mandatory to address me as "Supreme Leader"

- I'll be grading your weeklies. If a PR is in there +5 points. If no strength training is listed -5 points. Running races in costume +20 points. Weather complaining +5 points, but if it's 18 degrees celsius then it's -10 points instead.

Listing random Maori names as if everybody knows those places earns +7 points

Starting a flame war over what's easy pace earns +15 points.

How many points for photos eating Acai bowls, or Chipotle?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

How many points for photos eating Acai bowls, or Chipotle?

Açaí bowls = +100 points

Chipotle/Burger/Pizza = +5 points

Excellent Flavio and thanks to Keen for running the thread this year.

I may fire up again next year. I've given up predicting what I will be motivated to do, as it swings around alot each year.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

I had to Google Acai bowl Flavio.

Here's one and it even has a Maori name in there 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Most of us are used to living under tyranny by now so I welcome our very own Bolsonaro.

Unbelievably, any weather complaining from me this week will be about it being too cold and wet in summer...normal service will resume next week.

My first 3 months in 2022 will be marathon training so I'll probably do some cross posting, although given the unhealthy obsession some over there have with this thread it may not be required   I hope they get the help that they need.

Future Supreme Leader - You may need to update your tool to grab strength training entries from Strava to give us lazy people a chance at maximum points.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

My marathon race report is on Strava, and the Sub 3 thread for those who aren’t aware.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Marky_Mark_17

All hail the pending supreme leader!

Also will there be points for Nathan Jones sightings and references?  TBH I think James may have won that competition this year with a sly Nathan Jones reference he threw into one of his earlier posts.  I actually think triathlete Nathan Jones has moved out of Hobsonville Point as I haven't seen him in ages.

Also I can't believe I'm beating Steve in the weather complaining stakes.  Another day this morning that was well into problematic dew point territory based on Jmac's metrics, that's now 17 days straight of humid suckage.  Anyway I need to save some weather complaining for drive-by's on the marathon thread next year given Jmac's love of weather complaining.

Piwi - comeback!!!!!!!!!

Steve - IIRC if you log strength training on Strava, Flavio's tool will capture it.  He had to fix something because I did exactly that like 18 months ago and it made some weird looking numbers.

My first 3 months in 2022 will be marathon training so I'll probably do some cross posting, although given the unhealthy obsession some over there have with this thread it may not be required   I hope they get the help that they need.

If the overlord of next year's marathon thread was Megatron, I think it's fair to say there'll be a Starscream over there also.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Well that's called my bluff!  I haven't tried to put strength training on there...and I don't think I want to given how it will come across.  I'll just note the routine I do 3 times a week at the start of his reign.

To be honest, there's not much to complain about when it comes to running in Christchurch (don't quote this back at me in mid-January when I cook myself on every run).  There will be a few days up around 35C in January and February but if I'm up early enough it should be fine, and evening running in the heat when I finally get back in the office is much easier.  Humidity every day even at lower temperatures is awful.  A string of weather complaining will get a few drive bys over here from JMac since only he runs in tough weather 

The ChCh Nathan Jones hasn't been running too much this year - he "only" managed a 1:16 at the Canterbury Half-Marathon on Sunday.

I had to google to work out that was a Transformers reference...

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

A string of weather complaining will get a few drive bys over here from JMac since only he runs in tough weather 

You didn't finish your sentence. I only run in tough weather on uphill courses that measure long. You better respect your new overlord in the sub 3:00 thread, otherwise you will wear out your welcome VERY quickly and will be relegated back to the inferior fiefdom Flavio is trying to set up over here.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

You didn't finish your sentence. I only run in tough weather on uphill courses that measure long. You better respect your new overlord in the sub 3:00 thread, otherwise you will wear out your welcome VERY quickly and will be relegated back to the inferior fiefdom Flavio is trying to set up over here.

It's just like the bat signal.  It really works!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It's just like the bat signal.  It really works!

Once a dictator here, always a dictator. My rule was so peaceful and prosperous nobody would ever think of exiling me to Elba

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zebano

My marathon race report is on Strava, and the Sub 3 thread for those who aren’t aware.

I read your book =)

Damn you race well. I saw nothing in your training suggesting that but your splits ... hot damn. Marathon Scott is something else.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I read your book =)

Damn you race well. I saw nothing in your training suggesting that but your splits ... hot damn. Marathon Scott is something else.

Yeah I really doubted myself a lot this year. I had to regain the faith in the things I believe in and take thinking out of the process. Marathon Scott "doesn't fuck around." Especially with CIM.

VDOT 53.37 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

The gym I'm going to has a Xmas challenge up, which consists on doing a series of exercises as fast as possible. They are:

20x sumo squat with 12kg/26.4lb kettlebell

10x burpees

10x plank alternating elbows and hands

20s situps

10x slam balls with a 4kg ball

I managed 2 minutes 7 seconds, damn it's way harder than it seems. The leader did it in 1'32''