Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

CFarr - Just throwing out an idea: How's lower back/pelvis? Last summer I had a bit of weird soreness or just a tight/constrained feeling in my quads. Turns out my low back/pelvis alignment was a little out of whack from having slept wrong or something, and getting that straightened out immediately resolved the muscle issues and made running much more pleasant.

Keen Interesting you mention this, my lower back as been a bit sore the last month or so...I attribute it to sitting too much at work.

What did you do to realign?  I'm actually seeing a PT right now for a shoulder/neck issue.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

JamesD

JamesD

But I will admit that it does not fill me with a sense of pride seeing the P-3 Orions which are now over 50 years old...

The last B-52s were built in 1962.  As they're scheduled to remain in service until the 2040s, some of them may outlive all the members of The B-52s.

A large army base (Ft. Benning) is several miles from us, and when we think we're hearing thunder, it's not always thunder.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

darkwave

Mother of Cats

That would be followed by amazement at the engine roar.

I once took a short flight from New York to DC and it was a very small airplane (16 to 20 seats maybe) and it flew in the direction of the Washington monument until it turned right super close to it. I found it super cool at the time.

I'm guessing it was the "river approach" to DCA.  I always tell my friends flying into DCA to sit on the left side of the plane if they can, so they can get a great aerial tour of the DC monuments.

I don't think you would like one of my favorite running routes, since you run right underneath the planes landing/taking off at that airport.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

flavio yeah I didn't see the part of the JD program that says "post race recovery to include 35-40 miles trail running/hiking during the night." I'm not sure what I'm thinking other than doing some weekend runs for time with more vertical than I've been doing. Maybe walking with a 14-15 pound baby will help strengthen the legs too.

EDIT: my new shoes arrived. new balance $60 special. They remind me of the Flyknit nikes I wore. Roomy and mesh-like outer. Plus the sole is rubber so it won't wear out in 200 miles like my Mach 4s. Truly the only complaint I have about the Mach 4.

https://www.runningwarehouse.com/New_Balance_FuelCell_Prism/descpage-NBFCPM6.html

I'm pretty sure I over pronate because the outer heel portion of every single pair of shoes I've run in is worn out first. I've never recorded myself and watched it in slow motion. I could though.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I'm guessing it was the "river approach" to DCA.  I always tell my friends flying into DCA to sit on the left side of the plane if they can, so they can get a great aerial tour of the DC monuments.

I don't think you would like one of my favorite running routes, since you run right underneath the planes landing/taking off at that airport.

Damn, the internet does have everything, it's very likely that river approach thing. Yes I was on the left side.

That route sounds very cool.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flyovers - The B-52s were a first. This one had previous-generation engines judging by the smoke trails it left.

E3-A AWACS and KC-46 Pegasus are fairly common as they're based on the other side of OKC. Occasionally we'll get some CH-47 Chinooks (also quite awesome) or UH-60 Black Hawks passing by from bases outside the area.
              Then there is a P-51 Mustang and a B-25 Mitchell that at two small civilian airfields not far away just on the other side of my little town. During my disasters 8 miler the B-25 made a few trips around the lake, which was the highlight of that race.

CFarr - My local chiropractor fixed it up, but I went there for a completely different issue. My lower back had been feeling a bit "weird" or "uncomfortable" towards the end of the day (another symptom of the same issue that caused my quads to feel tight), but I hadn't connected that and my leg issues at all. Turns out my low back/hip were out of alignment such that one leg was more than an inch shorter than the other.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

I found a 5k next weekend I'm going to run. Looking over past times I may or may not have one or two people around me. Keystone community center 5k in Roanoke, VA.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

RP excellent that will be a perfect hit out for you.

Flavio perhaps you have gypsy blood 😳

Move to Nazare and ride a 100ft wave 

It looks like some of you have accidentally posted in here instead of the....military aeroplane thread 

Slowly getting my legs 🦵 back

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I found a 5k next weekend I'm going to run. Looking over past times I may or may not have one or two people around me. Keystone community center 5k in Roanoke, VA.

BTW, to those not in the US, it may not be obvious that RP is likely being sarcastic.

Here's a google map showing how far Roanoke, Virginia is from Reno, Nevada.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

BTW, to those not in the US, it may not be obvious that RP is likely being sarcastic.

Here's a google map showing how far Roanoke, Virginia is from Reno, Nevada.

I'm going there on vacation. I'm actually not being as sarcastic as usual right now. Shocking I know. 

EDIT: The walking directions include 77,000 ft of elevation gain. I assume most of it is in the beginning 1,000 miles.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

RP - It may have that much e-gain, but it has nearly 81,000' of decent. Totally a cheater course!

Piwi - There's a military aeroplane thread? How'd I miss that one?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm going there on vacation. I'm actually not being as sarcastic as usual right now. Shocking I know. 

EDIT: The walking directions include 77,000 ft of elevation gain. I assume most of it is in the beginning 1,000 miles.

Really!  Cool.  You are in my state, though all the way at the other end of it.

BTW, Roanoke is quite hilly.  I doubt this course will be flat, though I'm sure it won't hit 77,000 feet of elevation gain.

Keen yes its next to the Surfing thread and Rude inappropriate thread both of which I started 

RP nice score on the shoes. I wear Fuelcell rebel version 1 still and love them. I under pronate and land on the outer edge  so need neutral to encourage me to pronate through a bit more. Of  course when I started out the local retail shop did a gait analysis and put me in stability 

I just ordered some Pegasus 37s for $85 US free delivery too. I was hesitant to ask my wife after just getting the Next % but was able to pretend to be looking for her to get some and then somehow change it to me.

Darkwave I guess these are lawyer attributes I have 😆

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Running Problem

Problem Child

Really!  Cool.  You are in my state, though all the way at the other end of it.

BTW, Roanoke is quite hilly.  I doubt this course will be flat, though I'm sure it won't hit 77,000 feet of elevation gain.

Yeah I figured it was a long drive for a pacing opportunity. Now...if you were to use it as a TUNE UP...it MIGHT not be that far. I could possible influence your decision with a beverage of your choice and another in person meet and greet. Just bring a harness so I can hang on to your lead.

https://runsignup.com/Race/VA/Roanoke/KeystoneCommunityCenter5K

I'm HOPING/expecting the river to be a flat out and back. Unlike the Blue Ridge Marathon which I ALSO want to do just for the buckle.

Piwi I was about to buy the pegasus 37 when I found these. Do those have a carbon fiber plate yet or no? I kind of assume everything Nike has one at this point.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Yeah I figured it was a long drive for a pacing opportunity. Now...if you were to use it as a TUNE UP...it MIGHT not be that far. I could possible influence your decision with a beverage of your choice and another in person meet and greet. 

That is the same day I will be flying up to Albany, NY to do a meet and greet with JT Reeves and race a 10 miler.  So already booked.