If you're planning to buy a new laptop... (Read 1145 times)

TJoseph

(Perhaps Macs don't need as much support as PCs Evil grin Wink )
    That is probably a good thing. Just try finding onsite support for them if you need it. Shocked
    TJoseph

Define: The hospital IT department's policies and strategies for supporting and managing Mac hardware and nonstandard applications.
      Excellent point. Every company I work with larger than 100 - 200 employees deploys a limited number of computer models and develops a standard OS / Software image for those models. This allows them to quickly deploy many computers by just Ghosting their standard image on them and to easily re-image a computer if it develops problems. MTA: Non standard applications have to be supported, but installing one sometimes requires approval from management.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The hospital IT department's policies and strategies for supporting and managing Mac hardware and nonstandard applications.
        In our case, it is largely ignored. The individual or their department/division has to support nonstandard configurations. Many departments/divisions are happy to do this. For the in-hospital clinical machines, these are hospital run and configured. But that is not the whole of what is deployed and used. Most clinicians for example use the hospital computers while providing patient care but their own personally (or departmentally) configured machines in their work offices. Many of the labs run Macs. Many of the developers run Macs to develop and maintain software for the PCs. Also, since a lot of the software is browser-based, folks will sign in to it from home and on the road, where they will use whatever hardware they can access. The standard configs just don't work outside of the controlled hospital setting since each user has very specific use needs depending on their research or business work. But the highest levels (like the CIO types) will tell you that the institution will only support one of the standard configurations.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Business also look for the best price point. A savings of $100 each over 1000 machines is $100,000.
          Agreed. Macs cost more money. But that is a hardware issue, not an OS issue.
          That is probably a good thing. Just try finding onsite support for them if you need it. Shocked
          We actually do have a contract for this with our Department, but I have never known anybody to need it.
          xor

So what is the specific issue that you guys are trying to discuss? Seems to me to be a moving target. If you are specifically addressing corporate adoption of Macs, then trying to divide "hardware issue" from "OS issue" is a weird thing to bucket. I'm leaving this discussion now. I can't tell what it is about and I don't feel like getting tweaked in the nose for BLUE when I thought the topic was PENCIL.

TJoseph

I don't mean to come off like an attack dog. I am just in a bad mood. I haven't run in three days because of my shins and I have a slew of other issues going on today. If you like Macs, that's cool. But Stevie Ray hit the nail on the head with the reason companies won't deploy them. If you are going to support 200 computers with just 1 or 2 IT people, you need to standardize as much as possible. The cost difference is not just a hardware issue because OS X requires you to buy a Mac to run it. Apple does not support OS X on other platforms.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So what is the specific issue that you guys are trying to discuss? Seems to me to be a moving target.
                TJ mentioned that Macs are not adopted unless all you want to do is Word and internet surfing, especially by the corporate world. One reason we both agree on is that the cost is a limiting factor for adoption. The cost is, as you point out, more due to the fact that OSX is tied to an expensive hardware configuration than due to the cost of the OS itself (a Mac OSX DVD can be had for less than a Windows DVD). Apple forces us to lump the question of OS adoption in with the question of hardware cost. At their own risk. srlopez, I seem to be striking a nerve with you on multiple threads.
                Stevie Ray hit the nail on the head with the reason companies won't deploy them. If you are going to support 200 computers with just 1 or 2 IT people, you need to standardize as much as possible.
                Totally agree. But this is not the same thing as saying Macs are useless unless all you want to do is word processing and internet browsing.
                TJoseph

Totally agree. But this is not the same thing as saying Macs are useless unless all you want to do is word processing and internet browsing.
                  It was a slight exageration, but I was participating in the OS bashing going on earlier in thread. The truth is that most newer games won't run on it and many business applications won't run on it. You give the example of an application written for IE at your place of business. Most businesses have at least one key application that requires Windows. Usually it is their main accounting application or a vertical software package written specifically for their industry (such as a medical practice management package). There is a trend towards these kind of applications using a web front end instead of a fat client, but not all do and many businesses are slow to purchase the latest version of their software which usually requires them to also purchase new servers and expensive maintenance contracts. Tom
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Insert witty title here

Yeah, and they're re-branding Vista as "the crappy, unstable OS for every system."
                    OMFG, I'm so tired of hearing that garbage. Evil grin Have you ever used Vista? I have used it since it was in Beta RC1 on a box with a P4 2.66Ghz with 1GB of a RAM and have had no problems with stability. During the beta period (as to be expected) there were compatibility issues with some software and drivers, but RC2 and the final release fixed ALL of those for me. I have a lot of gadgets, but none of them have any problem running on Vista and I haven't had to replace or buy any special hardware as a result of it. As for the rest of the thread, all Macs are over-priced, under-featured and controlled by the company instead of the consumer. That's why they have such a small market share and why the vast majority of businesses have no desire to use them. For the most part businesses who use them are the ones who have been sucked into the myth that they just HAVE to have them to do any kind of photo/video/music editing. Windows software to perform those tasks is equal and usually better, not to mention you have a lot more choices.

ThomasRuns Blog
                    Twitter

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." - [Walter Bagehot]

TJoseph

There are still a few compatibility issues with Vista, but you are right that stability has not been an issue.

Imminent Catastrophe

OMFG, I'm so tired of hearing that garbage. Evil grin ...
                        Whoa. All I can say is that your experience is not typical.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

OMFG, I'm so tired of hearing that garbage. Evil grin
                          I probably should have wink-captioned my comment. Wink I've never used Vista, and my comment was merely a tongue-in-cheek reference to what, in all honesty, has been a PR disaster for Microsoft. I follow tech closely, and I realize that compatibility, not stability, has been the primary issue with Vista. You'll notice I was parodying the comment about XP being a stable system. I think Apple makes great hardware, and having used all flavors of Windows up through XP, I genuinely prefer and even enjoy using OS X more. If OS X were available on cheaper hardware, as much as I love my Mac, I can't say I wouldn't go for it. But then again, as much as the closed system has its detriments, the end-to-end experience has been much better for me on my Mac than any PC I've worked with / owned. As far as the laptops Apple announced, I think it's a good refresh of their line, though I'd love to see them offer some kind of netbook. But with their market share (and disproportionately high revenue share) continuing to grow, I can see why they don't go there. They should have dropped the price on the previous white Macbook to $899 instead of $999 (from $1099), though.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Insert witty title here

...in all honesty, has been a PR disaster for Microsoft.
                            That much I will agree with you on. Wink
                            Whoa. All I can say is that your experience is not typical.
                            Actually it is. I think the negative PR has been primarily because of fanbois (not accusing anyone here) who get on all the mac forums and blogs and post all the stuff about how horrible Vista is when they've never used it. If you look at more recent blog posts (apparently fanbois tire of commenting after a while) you'll find comment and comment about how the "vista problem" is mostly crap made up by people who have never touched it. That's not to say there aren't people (and I'm guessing you're one) who have had issues. But the majority of people who have stability issues are running hardware that XP wouldn't be stable on and those with compatibility issues are using some obscure software/peripherals that took a while to get drivers on XP too because fewer people need them.

ThomasRuns Blog
                            Twitter

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." - [Walter Bagehot]

Imminent Catastrophe

That much I will agree with you on. Wink Actually it is. I think the negative PR has been primarily because of fanbois (not accusing anyone here) who get on all the mac forums and blogs and post all the stuff about how horrible Vista is when they've never used it. If you look at more recent blog posts (apparently fanbois tire of commenting after a while) you'll find comment and comment about how the "vista problem" is mostly crap made up by people who have never touched it.
                              Actually I'm not a "fanboi" (I'm not familiar with that term) and don't read Mac forums or computer forums at all. I was talking about my friends and colleagues, most of whom are non-techie types not compelled to use either OS by their workplace, but just trying to get something done with a computer, and the overwhelming majority of comments that I hear on Vista are negative. Many have "downgraded" to XP. Not a statistically valid sample, I know, but in my experience it's a pretty universal reaction. Anyway, whatever works for you...

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016