Run in the winter and you will die, DIE I tell you (Read 334 times)

Ostrich runner

I can't say I've noticed the runners I cavort with having any increased propensity for injury during the winter. Pretty decent thinking on her part though, she surely wouldn't have gotten the page hits she's getting with an article about how running is fine in the winter.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Being that I live in Pennsylvania, I am going thru the storm that probably prompted her to write this. Today I cross country skied for over 2 miles, manned the snow thrower for over 4 hours, ran 5 miles after the street was plowed , then finished up with some beer drinking and karaoke. I do run in Icespikes, which greatly aids traction in all wintry conditions. I also know how to dress for different weather conditions - I am still alive after a 10 miler in -10 weather run a few weeks ago.

Sounds like she doesn't like the treadmill at all.

The page doesn't allow for comments at the bottom for everyone to prove her wrong.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Ostrich runner

Obviously she doesn't understand that if one is an inline runner, these types of injuries don't happen. Look at the Inuit runners that crossed the Bering strait. Based on my calculation in my head of how long it would've taken them to get across and populate the continent, they inline walked at speeds of over 23mph. And all of the available records suggest that they never got injured.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Birdwell

Well that explains why my times have been crap this year.

I'm dead! At least mostly dead

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The only real Winter running injury I've ever endured is the one that is developing on the back of my left leg/cheek (piriformis?) from too much time on the dreadmill.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

I did have one college teammate who got hamstring issues each and every winter, so he did well in XC but could never do track because he was injured.  It was like clockwork, I think he got injured on the first hill workout we did each winter.

Aside from that, running in the winter makes most people stronger and more injury-resistant.  Working out muscles you are not used to working out...if done with even moderate intelligence....is good, not bad.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

Doc knows what she's talking about.  Dick hurt in the cold morning.

delicate flower

FoxNews....LOL...people still go there.

<3

mikeymike

What the hell is this "cardio" that people talk about, anyway?

Runners run

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

I have to say I do actually get ill or injured more frequently in winter.  Two reasons:

1) speedwork outside without proper warmup (it takes longer in the cold) or in icy conditions can result in things like achilles pulls, as happened to me last year.

2) I have cold-induced asthma and get bronchitis if I run in the wrong conditions, but that's specific to me.

Mind you, I still run outdoors in winter, but I do the speed stuff on a treadmill to reduce bronchial inflammation.  Long run has to be outside, though, and as hilly as possible so I get some of those benefits.  Easy runs are also outside as often as possible.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

mikeymike

I have to say I do actually get ill or injured more frequently in winter.

So do people who don't run at all. That's kind of just how life works.

Runners run

Village people

Don't forget to post the summer version of this article.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Don't forget to post the summer version of this article.

Yeah, I can't wait for that one.

steph  

Joann Y

Don't leave your house. Something bad might happen. That seems to sum it up.

Winter is the season of heart attacks because arteries are constricted.   Yes, I'm sure this is why all the heart attacks in winter, from running outside with constricted arteries rather than the rest of the population being even more sedentary than usual.