If you are passing someone in a race - should you say something or not? (Read 1608 times)

Bugs

No.

Bugs

Why is it sideways?

I chat with almost everyone I pass and vice-versa... sometimes I'll even slow down and talk to them for 5-10 minutes... but ultrarunners are super friendly like that.
      We're so friendly that even our comments about how friendly and non-competitive ultrarunners are don't come off as condescending even though we really think that road racers are immature and petulant jerks who can't appreciate the camaraderie we feel when moaning "Ghoold Joab, brotha" as we stagger, heaving and marching on, unwilling to bear the shame of a DNF and motivated into relentless forward motion by petty thoughts of the wonder that lights up in friend's and colleagues's eyes when we say, "Yes, farther than a marathon."
        We're so friendly that even our comments about how friendly and non-competitive ultrarunners are don't come off as condescending even though we really think that road racers are immature and petulant jerks who can't appreciate the camaraderie we feel when moaning "Ghoold Joab, brotha" as we stagger, heaving and marching on, unwilling to bear the shame of a DNF and motivated into relentless forward motion by petty thoughts of the wonder that lights up in friend's and colleagues's eyes when we say, "Yes, farther than a marathon."
        Um. Ok. Whatever dude.
          You been drinking ain't ya? Big grin lol

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Why is it sideways?

Um. Ok. Whatever dude.
            I'm just interpreting. You're the one that said you're so friendly you'll even slow down to chat. I'd like to understand the function of the word "even" in this sentence. Yes, I'm just being a jerk. And any way you reply, you will come off as wanting to WIN the argument, thus confirming my suspicions about your competitive temperament. At least that's the way I'm planning on reading your response, and that's who is important in this thread anyways. From my perspective, of course. MTA: the quote to show I wasn't responding to pRED. Drinking? Not yet... Feeling disappointed by my race today? Taking it out on innocent and faceless message board others through veiled attempts at humor? Well, that's not for me to decide.
              Drinking? Not yet... Feeling disappointed by my race today? Taking it out on innocent and faceless message board others through veiled attempts at humor? Well, that's not for me to decide.
              Didn't know that, but hey, it's a start.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Why is it sideways?

Didn't know that, but hey, it's a start.
                True that. Racing is like love: its disappointments are small treasures.
                  I'm just interpreting. You're the one that said you're so friendly you'll even slow down to chat. I'd like to understand the function of the word "even" in this sentence. Yes, I'm just being a jerk. And any way you reply, you will come off as wanting to WIN the argument, thus confirming my suspicions about your competitive temperament. At least that's the way I'm planning on reading your response, and that's who is important in this thread anyways. From my perspective, of course. MTA: the quote to show I wasn't responding to pRED. Drinking? Not yet... Feeling disappointed by my race today? Taking it out on innocent and faceless message board others through veiled attempts at humor? Well, that's not for me to decide.
                  I'm really not trying to argue... that's why I said "whatever"... meaning I really don't care what your opinion is. I don't care what you do at a race and you obviously care more than you should about what I do at race. I'm only answering the OP's question of whether I'll say anything to somebody I'm passing, to which I answered yes I would and I'd even slow my pace to chat with somebody. You won't get an argument out of me if that's what you're looking for, so have a good weekend. :-)

Why is it sideways?

I apologize, really. I was hoping to be humorous. I've run ultras and love the scene, which is both friendly and competitive, unlike the degenerate form of communication in which I've been engaging.
                      True that. Racing is like love: its disappointments are small treasures.
                      I don't quite get that, but it's nice. To me, they're more like getting kicked in the shin with the subsequent gritting of teeth and cursing.

Ricky

Why is it sideways?

To me, they're more like getting kicked in the shin with the subsequent gritting of teeth and cursing.
                        Exactly--bad races are small treasures because out of them comes the gritting of teeth and cursing that is eventually reworked into our best efforts.
                          Exactly--bad races are small treasures because out of them comes the gritting of teeth and cursing that is eventually reworked into our best efforts.
                          Exactly!

Ricky

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

friend's and colleagues's
                            Dude, you will never finish your dissertation at this rate.
                              friends' and colleagues' ?

Ricky

If it is a narrow trail I would say "excuse me" and squeeze through or someone else would say "get out of my way" and squeeze by me. Other than that I try to maintain getting enough air and it's hard to talk. When my son was an infant I pushed him in the old fashon kind of stroller in a race. I started at the back of the pack and at a point in the race I came up on a group of runners strung across the road. If I hadn't said anything I would still be behind them. That was in 1983.