Need help from runners who are also big geeks. (Read 298 times)

With the series of comic book movies on the horizon and the launch of new Star Wars adventures, this geek who runs really wants to start dressing up in costume during some of his events.  Sort of like a running cosplay kind of thing.  The problem I have is that I don’t want the costume to be too restrictive or a big hindrance on my performance.  So I was thinking of guidelines for the best geeky costumes for runners.  This is what I have come up with so far:

• No cape.  Sorry Superman.  My bad Batman.  But the idea of the extra drag from a cape will not cut it with this true believer.
    • No helmet, hood or cowl.  I’m okay with just the mask over the eyes but nothing covering the head.  Unless it is cold out on race day, I don’t want the discomfort of my head being incased in some sort of shroud, trapping in heat and inducing excessive head sweating.  I’m looking at you Captain America.  Take a hike Daredevil. 
    • Along those same lines, no makeup.  I doubt it would survive long anyway during a long race.  Which really saddens me because that takes away the Joker.  Who said I had to be a good guy?
    • No Aquaman!

I know what you’re thinking.  You’re thinking that I made it impossible to find a running costume which can also embody the awesomeness of a superhero.  Au Contraire, I have not.  I have a short list of possible costumes:

• Nightwing
    • Green Lantern
    • The Riddler
    • The Punisher
    • Male version of Wonder Woman (who says that’s not allowed?)

I’m hoping to get at least one costumed run in this summer. So where are my geeks at?  Any ideas to add to the list.  Any criteria I might have missed?

Thanks for your time,

During the day, I am a mild mannered desk jockey who helps manage a large IT company.  At night, I am a family man, who is insanely in love with his wife and a proud daddy to an amazing girl.  But in the pre-dawn hours, as most everyone else is still asleep, I am my alter ego.  I indulge in my passion for athletic activities, geekdom and artistic fun.  During that time, I am: OxenTrot.  

You can hear my stories at:

My website: www.oxentrot.com

My podcast:  OxenTales on iTunes or just search OxenTales on Stitcher

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What empiric evidence do you have that guides you to conclude that a cape leads to excessive drag?

What empiric evidence do you have that guides you to conclude that a cape leads to excessive drag?

I think the male version of wonderwoman leads to that.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
        bhearn

Comparison of my last three Bay to Breakers. I'm blaming your cape for last year, Trent.

But Ntown's answer is better...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ntown wins the internet for the day, but I still say no capes.

Thanks for your time,

During the day, I am a mild mannered desk jockey who helps manage a large IT company.  At night, I am a family man, who is insanely in love with his wife and a proud daddy to an amazing girl.  But in the pre-dawn hours, as most everyone else is still asleep, I am my alter ego.  I indulge in my passion for athletic activities, geekdom and artistic fun.  During that time, I am: OxenTrot.  

AutBatgirl

Can you pull off a bow? Hawkeye

You don't want a cape, what about wings? Lucifer

How do you look in a sheriff''s hat? Rick Grimes

How's your depth perception? Nick Fury

Ego? Mr. Fantastic

I can give you more obscure ones too, but as you can see, I'm partial to a cape. Smile

No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.

Can you pull off a bow? Hawkeye

You don't want a cape, what about wings? Lucifer

How do you look in a sheriff''s hat? Rick Grimes

How's your depth perception? Nick Fury

Ego? Mr. Fantastic

I can give you more obscure ones too, but as you can see, I'm partial to a cape. Smile

These are good.  I actually have a few bows and was thinking about Hawkeye.  I was also thinking about Luke Skywalker in black from Return of the Jedi.

I am coming to the realization that the criteria should be separated by race distance.  For example, capes may be good up to maybe a 10k.

Thanks for your time,

bhearn

I am coming to the realization that the criteria should be separated by race distance.  For example, capes may be good up to maybe a 10k.

That was my problem -- Bay to Breakers is 12K.

But really, I would say the reverse. Wind drag goes as the cube of velocity, so it's much worse for shorter, faster races.

MTA my bad, drag force goes as the square of velocity. But the power needed to overcome it goes as the cube.

MTAA Geeky enough?

Seanv2

But really, I would say the reverse. Wind drag goes as the cube of velocity, so it's much worse for shorter, faster races.

MTA my bad, drag force goes as the square of velocity. But the power needed to overcome it goes as the cube.

MTAA Geeky enough?

Bhearn be all "I see your superhero fandom and raise you advanced mathematics"

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

AutBatgirl

I told you to wear a shorter cape.

No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.

bhearn

You were right. I blame Trent.

Wing

Joggaholic

Definitely not a superhero, but how about dressing up as a redshirt? That's one easy costume. Just don't die before crossing the finish line.

Captain America.

Wish I had the pic on my phone still, but thought it'd be weird to keep a pic of a guy in a Flag underpants on my phone.

MTA - know that CA wears a helmet, but I've seen one runner in nothing but his underwear, running with a small plastic shield in hand

#artbydmcbride

If you could dye yourself green...no makeup...you could be the Hulk.

Is Tarzan a superhero?  You just need bare feet and a small animal print sarong       

Runners run