Where do you wear your race number? (Read 3365 times)

Giant Flaming Dork

I've been wearing it on the shorts because it doesn't seem to get in the way there... Does it matter? I mean, mine doesn't say "Ritz" or "Sell" on it - so I suppose none of this matters. Wink

http://xkcd.com/621/

Imminent Catastrophe

Shorts, usually. That way if you remove a shirt layer you still have it on.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

mikeymike

Shirt except in the rare hot weather shirts off yo race.

Runners run

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I attach or pin it to a race belt or running belt, so that means it hangs down as if on shorts/pants...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Member Since 2008

I pin it to tthe left leg on my shorts.

Depends upon the day. As long as it is visible from the front you are all set. I normally wear it on my singlet unless it is huge and would cover my team name, in which case it goes on the shorts. I'll also wear it on my shorts if I think it's likely that I'll be stripping a layer during the run, although I usually just start out in the least that I think I'll need during the race and call it good.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

xor

I truly don't get runners that pin it on the back. These aren't always new runners either. If you wear layers, beware of pinning it to a layer that you then ditch. Not that I have experience in that, no siree. In trail runs, I pin it to my shorts because I tend to reconfig my shirts a lot. Besides, it looks badass (right?) In road races, I pin it on the layer that I think will be my outermost layer by the middle of the race. So, under anything I plan on ditching. The exception is jacket weather. I don't pin stuff on jackets.

RaceMeasure

If you care about accurate results, wear it on the front, where it is easily visible. Timers usually have people doing "manual" recording at the finish line, even when a race is chip-timed. If a chip malfunctions, or falls off, the "manuals" are used to properly place finishers. If your number can't be seen by the folks at the finish line, you may not get entered into the "manual" list. If there is a problem with chips or equipment, it is much more difficult to put you in the right finish order. If it is a tag race, where they pull the tag off and put it on a spindle at the end of the chute, if a spindle gets out-of-order, the "manuals" are used to correct the situation. While some runners don't think having their number visible is important, it is. Timing is the most-important reason. But, some courses (if they have an out-and-back section) have people at the far end of the spur recording numbers. This is to assure that runners went all the way to the turnaround. If you are not recorded, you may be removed from the results. Finally, if there is a race photographer, the number is the only way they have to list the photos. If yours can't be seen, you have to look through all un-indexed photos. What a pain. On the front, visible at all times.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Where do you wear your race number?
                    Right leg on my shorts. I do find huge race bibs annoying tho.
                    xor

Speaking of the tags at the bottom of our numbers... Saturday's race was a combination of three loops... a 4 mile loop followed by a 12 mile loop (although I was told it was 14, more on that in my race report) followed by a 10 mile loop. At the end of the 4 mile loop (aka "nothing like the finish chute of the race"), they collected the tags. Which, since many of us were clumped together still, made for an intensely brief circus as we all pulled off our own tags and tried to decide whether the volunteer needed the tags in some semblance of order (apparently she did not, I saw them all heaped in a box 5 hours later exactly where we had given them to her). I have no idea what was up here. Then again, it was only one of several weirdisms about this race.

kcam

Only at the race (well, OK maybe sometimes around the house like when I'm mowing the lawn but that's it).
                          I do find huge race bibs annoying tho.
                          You could do some origami like my friend the Black Widow, Jess managed to work it down small enough to wear it for the Good Times Bikini Race. Not a lot of real estate to pin it on there.

E.J.
                          Greater Lowell Road Runners
                          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Haha, that guys loving it.
                            2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.
                              I noticed that, too! Big grin

Menace to Sobriety

He's probably gonna PR, or die tryin'

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.