My first 5k - of this century!! (Read 486 times)

Chris UK

Louth Run for Life 5k – 6th July 2008 This is a charity run in my hometown in aid of Cancer Research UK and is my first race since starting running 2 years ago. My last race was in the last century – about 30 years ago! No timing chips or anything but there was a timing gantry over the finish line. Being a charity event all types were taking part from serious runners through to walkers. Separate races for children under 12 (1k) and 5k for the ladies and men. Over 900 took part – many of those in the ladies race. The weather forecast was not good with high winds and heavy showers but the day dawned dry and didn’t seem quite so bad as predicted. After the first two races it was time for the men to go and being a novice I set myself in the middle of the pack for the start. Away we go and the boy racers from the front zoom away through the narrow streets. It is a bit of a scrum for the first quarter mile – me passing some and others passing me but as we head out of town it settles down – I’m not aware of anyone passing me after this stage. My breathing is heavier than at anytime since I started running again but I am able to maintain my pace. As we drop down a short incline I begin to pick one or two people off and seem to be able to maintain my increased pace. We are now onto a narrow footpath and it is difficult to pass here but soon we enter a park and a winding path through a picturesque glacial valley. It certainly is a beautiful place but today I am hardly aware of my surroundings – I am solely concentrating on my breathing and the runners ahead of me. Through the park I continue to pass a few more runners and then suddenly we are through and back onto roads again. From here there is quite a long drag of an incline – something that I was aware of and not particularly looking forward to. However I am still maintaining pace and still passing the occasional runner who is running out of steam. One of them asks me how far we have gone. This is the only time I looked at my Garmin – it read 1.92 miles. The expletive from the youth said it all and I soon strode on by. My breathing was getting heavy now but I knew that at the top of this hill was a very welcome downhill section and then the run-in through the streets of the town beckoned. I reached the top without too much distress although my breathing was still very heavy – much heavier than I had experienced in any of my training. My legs were feeling good and I tried to turn them over as quickly as I could down the hill and into the town. There was nobody very close to me in front and it was just a case of digging in to the end. The streets were narrow now and I became aware that I was closing in on a single runner – surely there was not time to pass now. Round the bend and then almost immediately right, left and right again – this was more like a slalom - and suddenly there was the finish line ahead. I thought I was running as fast as I could but as I came round the last bend there was that runner again. Something welled up inside me and I suddenly found another gear to sprint to the line. People were clapping and cheering but I didn’t see any of them – my concentration was absolute - pass that runner and get to the line. I managed both. I learned a lot from this race. I wanted to do a 5k to sort out some of my training paces for my first half marathon in September and also to check my max heart rate. I had done a test shortly after starting running that suggested my max heart rate was 189 bpm. Somewhere during this race I hit 187 bpm so I don’t suppose I was too far out. So how did I do? I am still awaiting confirmation of my result but I believe I came home in 22m:34s (placement 39). I said I learned a lot from this race – and you will see from my mile splits what the main thing was – START FASTER!! 01 – 08:32 02 – 06:44 03 – 06:21 Average 7:16/mm I’m putting a positive spin on this. It gives me the incentive to drop that initial 2 minutes and get closer to 20 minutes next time. With another years training I hope to get close to that. Also I have never run anywhere near this pace in training and so gradually over the next year I will introduce some tempo work into my routine and possibly some intervals nearer the time. At my age though I have to be careful not to be counter-productive and try to do too much. My daughter says I look glad to be done in the picture and in truth I was – maybe it will come easier second time round – age and asthma allowing. I also raised £54.00 ($107) for Cancer Research UK – x that by 900 and they will not have had a bad day either. Thanks to my sponsors.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Congratulations on a great finish! And those mile splits are much better than starting too fast and finishing slow. (He says, speaking from experience Black eye)
        So the UK has not moved to meters like the rest of Europe? The splits are typical of a 1st race....must have been fun passing everyone the last couple miles! Congratulations on a nice run. You left a time that will be quite easy to beat as well...but you must run smart in the opening mile...even pacing takes some skill and experience.
        Pammie

Well done Chris Good time am sure you'll go faster next time. There will be a next time Wink from another UK runner
          runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats. After looking at your log I am sure your times will drop with no problem. You are definitely put in the work. Shocked

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Congratulations Chris! That's quite a time to welcome yourself back into the 5k racing life. I enjoyed your report, and admire how you helped raise money for such a good cause. Smile I can't wait to hear about your next race and I hope your Asthma stays under control.

Michelle

mikeymike

Great job, Chris. Nice report, too. You've been logging some nice miles and it's good to see it paying off. Cheers!

Runners run

Nice job Chris. I usually have the opposite problem of going out too fast, yours is more easily fixed and your next result should be very impressive. And speaking of impressive...I clicked on your profile that's a priceless pic. You actually ran a 50 mile ultra at 14 years old? The longest distance I was running at that age was 360 feet, a trip around a ballfield's basepaths. Wow, just wow.

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Chris UK

Many thanks to all for your kind comments and encouragement. Cool

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM