Half Marathon Goal Help! (Please) (Read 394 times)

trojancinephile

So I'm running in the Indy Mini Marathon in a couple weeks and this is the first long distance race I'm racing (and not just trying to finish). I would love a second (and third and fourth and etc.) opinion on my goals. I set two goals for myself: First, average an 11:00/mile pace and finish around 2:25:00. Second, my preferred goal, of running 10:35-10:45 miles and finishing around 2:20:00. Based on my training log and times, are those goals realistic? I've never set out to race long distances, so I'm nervous that because I average around 11:45 miles on my long runs, I won't be able to keep that pace up. And just in case anyone wants to know, at the end of my long runs, I feel like I could have kept running for 3-5 more miles at the same pace. Thanks in advance!

My Hero

IMHO, if you can run 9 miles @ 11:09 pace two months ago, you should be able to realize your preferred goal. You may even (really) surprise yourself and run it even a little faster. For what it's worth, I ran my first "half" averaging 8:56 per mile. Never, ever, even once did I train at that pace even for short 2-4 mile runs. My 10-12 mile runs were run at 10:20 -10:40. The fastest pace I ever ran three months leading up to that race was a 9:15 pace. A strategy to consider is to pick a pace that feels comfortable, but you know you're pushing it a bit. This pace should feel a tad too easy around the 10K split. You can decide to pick it up a bit then, or hold yourself back til around mile 10 and let er rip. I think you have an excellent opportunity to meet of exceed your preferred goal. Good luck & keep us posted!
        In 2006, the Mini was also my first real distance race, and it was a great experience. It really hooked me into running, and now -- three marathons and five halves later -- I'm still hooked. Don't forget to enjoy the sights and sounds while you're out there on the course. One thing to remember: it's going to be very crowded at the start. I don't know how far back in the corrals you will be starting, but from experience I know its going to be difficult to get into a steady pace right away. DON'T PANIC. Try as best as you can to hit your goal pace early on, but don't waste tons of energy fighting the crowds either. If you fall a little behind early on, its really not a problem. In my first Mini, due to the crowds, I ran an 8:49 first mile but finished the race at a 8:09 average pace. Try to get yourself into a good rhythm by the time you enter the track (mile 6). Some of the track sections are narrow, so it helps if you are at this point running with other people who are at or near your same pace. Don't forget to smile when you cross the yard of bricks. Once you get out of the track and back on the roads, the last part of the race should be pretty wide open. If you feel like you've got some reserve in the tank, this is when you can turn up the dial a notch. When you hit the New York Street bridge, you've got less than a mile and a straight-shot to the finish line - so push the gas and finish strong. Have a great race, and if you see me, wave. I'll be the one in the running shorts and t-shirt. Smile

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.