Blizzard this morning (Read 741 times)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Nothing quite like running in ski goggles. Boston felt post-apocalyptic. But I still saw two other runners. Big grin
    Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
    mikeymike

Debating going out now...it's either that or go start shoveling and get as much up as I can before it changes to rain then freezes solid. Hmmm.

Runners run

Nothing quite like running in ski goggles. Boston felt post-apocalyptic. But I still saw two other runners. Big grin
        Nice. Way to HTFU!
        Token Masshole
        Haha, Mikey .... one of my good friends went to MIT --- haven't heard that phrase since I went up to visit him!
        2009: BQ?

I'm not heading out today. The plows have started on my road, and they go fast enough to throw snow from the road onto our roof. Plows are much larger than I am. The cars that have been going by have for the most part not been going much slower. Since I'm not willing to drive in these conditions, and I'd need to run at least a mile to get to the nearest trail, and I've already made my mileage goal for the week, I'm content to stay inside and listen to the football game on the radio. I'll go outside once it warms up a little bit and shovel the driveway so that there isn't as much to shovel later when the temperature goes up and it turns to freezing rain. Cross training is good.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm not heading out today. The plows have started on my road, and they go fast enough to throw snow from the road onto our roof. Plows are much larger than I am. The cars that have been going by have for the most part not been going much slower. Since I'm not willing to drive in these conditions, and I'd need to run at least a mile to get to the nearest trail, and I've already made my mileage goal for the week, I'm content to stay inside and listen to the football game on the radio. I'll go outside once it warms up a little bit and shovel the driveway so that there isn't as much to shovel later when the temperature goes up and it turns to freezing rain. Cross training is good.
            I'm with you, Blaine! I'm glad I forced myself to get out and do my long run (for me) yesterday, even though 8 degrees and windy seemed horrible. Do you have any suggestions for places to run in the winter in the Portland area? I'm in North Yarmouth, but I don't mind driving. My suggestion is the sidewalk going from Greely Middle School in Cumberland to North Yarmouth Memorial School. The towns just put in the sidewalk last year, and they are doing an excellent job of keeping it plowed, at least so far. I have to do a little dodging on it, but not too much! Teresa PS. I don't know if you recall, but I met you at Joan Benoit Samuelson's talk. I brought my 15-year-old son and 9-year-old daughter. Thanks for telling me about your website - I really enjoy it, even though I'm not at the marathon level YET! It's great getting local news about running along with great advice. I'm also getting your tips by e-mail now.

PS. I don't know if you recall, but I met you at Joan Benoit Samuelson's talk. I brought my 15-year-old son and 9-year-old daughter. Thanks for telling me about your website - I really enjoy it, even though I'm not at the marathon level YET! It's great getting local news about running along with great advice. I'm also getting your tips by e-mail now.
              Teresa, yes, I remember you! I'm glad that you are following the website! As for where to go from your area, I highly recommend heading over to Twin Brook or Bradbury Mountain and running on the trails. The snowmobilers haven't spent much time out on them yet, so the traffic has been a non-issue. You'll also build a lot of strength by running in the snow which will help you come Spring. Just be sure to give right of way to any skiers that are going by, and at Twin Brook you might want to stick to the north trails where the trails are not groomed quite as well. (Also, be aware that pedestrians aren't allowed on most of the trails at Pineland Farms when there is snow down. The skate skiers move too fast on some of the turns and it isn't safe to be running on snowshoeing, so it provides a good reason for them to ban the slower folk. This also keeps the trails in better shape for the skiers.) I'm paranoid about getting hit by a car. In 4 or 5 days or so you'll get a newsletter issue that talks about when I got hit as a kid when I was out running. If you are on the roads, be sure to wear bright clothes that will stand out against the snow. I am not hugely familiar with the streets in Yarmouth. I've met up with the Dirigo guys quite a few times from the high school, and we've run down to Cousins Island and Little John (good hills!) and one time went towards Pownal (where I got lost and wound up a block away from Bradbury before finding a way to turn back) but none of those streets really lend themselves as places to avoid or places to rush to for running. If you are in Portland, then the Boulevard and Mackworth Island are usually worth running on. Depending upon how well they've been cleared you might even get to break trail through the snow. If you are running the roads, I recommend getting some stabilicers or drilling some sheetmetal screws into your shoes. When I lived on Munjoy Hill, that's what I did and they kept me on my feet. In another month or so, the lakes should be frozen over and you can start running on them.

Run to Win

Think Whirled Peas

Yep, I just got back in from shoveling out under 12"+ of snow. It's crazy outside right now. It's 24 degrees out there w/a wind chill that makes it feel like 9 degrees...FUN! I hit the roads for an 8.5 miler yesterday b/c I knew this was coming, but I'm contemplating running 4-5 miles in my sub in these conditions. My wife thinks I'm nuts...I'm not so sure she's wrong.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

I'm going for a walk when the CBC curling game gets to half time - it's pretty much a white out up here in Belfast... Also Blaine, I don't know if I even thanked you for recommending running on Mackworth Island - it was awhile ago - I remember it was in the 80s A

Recalculating...

mikeymike

Got 'er done. 6.5 miles in a blinding nor'easter. Then shoveled. We had probably 8" fresh on top of what was already there. Now it's time for lunch and the Pats' game (which I DVR'd so I won't miss any.)

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This thread is useless without pictures.

(full size) The stream behind our house usually gets a max of about 2 feet of ice from the far bank. The ducks like playing on it and jumping into the water. This morning, between the snow and the 5 degree temperatures and the wind, there was only about 2 feet of open water at its narrowest. I was trying to photograph the ducks struggling to get upstream, but between the snow and the fact that I was shooting through a window it didn't come out too well. Shows you what it was like, though. The snow was kind of like bean bag pellets made of ice coming down. Not quite hail. I still felt no need to run. 3 hours of shoveling was enough.

Run to Win

mikeymike

Here I am, from the dining room window, heading down the driveway in about 6-8 inches fresh powder: And coming back from the run, trying to re-use my footprints: Ah, that was refreshing: (Photos courtesy of my 10 y.o. daughter.)

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

(Photos courtesy of my 10 y.o. daughter.)
                            She wields a camera well. Smile Looks like it was a good excuse to drink hot cocoa and eat popcorn and enjoy a quiet weekend. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Marathonmanleto

Although I don't haved photos to post I made it out. It was a tough run, but certainly one of the most interesting of the year. There's something compelling about being the only runner or person for that matter on the street. I love days like these. It's the opposite extreme of a 3:00pm summertime run when it's 90 degrees and humid.

Go Pre!

Despite the weather, I got in a good week of running ending this evening with a snowy nite-run. We got dumped on tody, big time, about 1 to 2 feet but it seems like much more with the drifting. It was a slick, snowy, beautiful 6k run (bright despite the late evening!) 37:30 ... about 7 minutes slower than I would usually do for this downhill and back up route. This slower time was despite the fact I was working as hard, if not harder! Here are some pics of the beauty. The final 100 meters... The walkway back to Daddyo's Lair And for fun, the kids frolicked in the backyard. Can't wait 'til tomorrow! Dave