the science of training and the industry of training (Read 312 times)

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Sport jester let me give you some advice on being a troll on a running forum.

Don't talk about training football players .

Unless  this is 1960 no nfl player is running long distance.

You average runner can beat most nfl players in any race over a couple miles.

And if you don't believe that you don't know anything about long distance running or football.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

mikeymike

Guys, come on.

Runners run

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Look guys, I can confirm everything Sports Jester just said.  The reason I can confirm this is that the NFL team that I coached was one of the teams that beat his team that season.  And the head coach for my team actually won the coach of the year award, and wasn't just nominated.

And before I go on my morning long-run, I slurp down my Wheaties while talking to my DoD contacts; I don't bother to talk to COLs, only two-stars and above.  I can't say what outfit I train, because they are top secret.   But I can tell you that they make the SEALs look like pups.  In fact, we've raced SJ's trainees on the Berkley Marathon course, with 180lbs in our packs, compared to the measly 135lbs his shouldering -- and those guys could barely keep up.  Also, my guys completed the course in world record time -- but it cannot be published because of the confidential nature of the team.  And I'll let you in on another little secret, not all the guys on the team are guys.  That's right, the only women to ever even complete the course were trained by me.

Oh, and running like an ostrich is so 2005.  Get with the new research, Sports Jester.  This is why you're only talking to LT COLs and not even full-birds.  I hear they're laughing at you begging them to return your calls.  It's okay, though; I'm spending your money wisely.   I bought a cherry red Ferrari with leather seats and a working 8-track player.

Liv'n the dream.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Ben Obert

Oh wait, an internet idiot with a pathetic midlife crisis and graciously willing to prove my point, tries to be cute.....

I've trained professional football players, have a client drafted by an NBA team, and even gave a collegiate football team a 7-4 season after going 2-9 in the prior year. Oh and the coach was nominated for coach of the year honors. Oh, and they  went 3-8 the next year without my help.

It doesn't matter how old an ostrich is. Because the last time anyone taught an athlete how to run like an ostrich, every runner he coached set a world record...

What have you ever accomplished with anything, let alone anyone?

When you realize training football players doesn't give you expertise in running.

Image result for little kid mind blown meme

(Credit @ https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj0vpX-wI3cAhWn5oMKHYOaDtgQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fknowyourmeme.com%2Fmemes%2Fmind-blown&psig=AOvVaw08MLKAATwHzhdN7M4lfOPs&ust=1531070439083941)

dumrunner

So much free advice, and criticism.

Yet, his training log is private.

Oh wait, an internet idiot with a pathetic midlife crisis and graciously willing to prove my point, tries to be cute.....

I've trained professional football players, have a client drafted by an NBA team, and even gave a collegiate football team a 7-4 season after going 2-9 in the prior year. Oh and the coach was nominated for coach of the year honors. Oh, and they  went 3-8 the next year without my help.

It doesn't matter how old an ostrich is. Because the last time anyone taught an athlete how to run like an ostrich, every runner he coached set a world record...

What have you ever accomplished with anything, let alone anyone?

sport jester

Biomimeticist

The basic facts of running mechanics is that how its taught has nothing to do with any facts.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then the photo of the oldest known footprints of a human at run are pretty much rock solid evidence given they're 23,000 years old.

Which is funny because the only other record of a bipedal transition from a parallel walking to an inline running form was found in the species known as theropods and from a trackway in Ardley England.

https://www.nature.com/articles/415494a

Image result for ardley trackways theropod images

And maybe a Soldier can be taught the exact same skill

https://youtu.be/Lce7X4IdifA

If you've got ears, the improvement in bodyweight impact reduction should be obvious.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

bhearn

T Hound

Slower but happier

Reminder:

http://www.hearn.to/jester-o-matic.html

I think you’ve invented Artificial Unintelligence.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

sport jester

Biomimeticist

When you realize training football players doesn't give you expertise in running.

Couldn't think of a better quote to prove your ignorance.

If you coach sprinting of course it applies. Speed off the snap of the ball gives every offensive or defensive line an incredible advantage over any opponent. Power development for them is no different than accelerating off the blocks of a sprint. It also allows them to hit much harder and control play progression with their opponents as well.

It was a fun season to watch...

If you don't think running backs want quicker speed or to improve agility, then it's no wonder nobody has ever paid you to train them.

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

If you coach sprinting of course it applies. Speed off the snap of the ball gives every offensive or defensive line an incredible advantage over any opponent. Power development for them is no different than accelerating off the blocks of a sprint. It also allows them to hit much harder and control play progression with their opponents as well.

Oh, of course. And that is so important when running 5K and up.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

rlopez

Yall.

You are wasting your time. You think you aren't, but you are.

The good news is that there's beer in Texarkana. And folks are thirsty in Atlanta.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Rlopez good to see you posting.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Reminder:

http://www.hearn.to/jester-o-matic.html

You are a good person and you should feel good.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Yall.

You are wasting your time. You think you aren't, but you are.

The good news is that there's beer in Texarkana. And folks are thirsty in Atlanta.

Waste my time?

I'm doing a presentation with the Marines next week. I need an example to what extent ignorant people (including their recruits) will fight anyone who disagrees with them. Your responses are what I need to give them an idea of the uphill battle they face to improve training quality of both branches of service. So far, this thread is a wonderful example to how pathetic a reality it is that irrational people can rationalize anything...

The proverb is that if you build a better mousetrap the world will beat a path to your door. That myth couldn't be further from the truth and this thread proves it.

You see, the military knows that how running is taught (they currently teach the POSE Method) is pure garbage and has no impact on either improving performance, or reducing injuries.

http://www.usariem.army.mil/index.cfm/media/news/article/2014/03142014

But you expect the training industry to admit that fact?

Unlike yourselves however, they're willing to have a different discussion with the goal of changing how they train. Because unlike most of you, they actually want to improve.

Combined with the reality that physical training costs our military more than ISIS does, pretty much proves my point; given human nature to challenge is fight or flight, your responses and stupidity openly exemplify how much time people spend trying to ridicule what I write knowing they don't have the education to prove me wrong.

https://www.army.mil/article/141818/

Not to mention that in order to become a faster runner, you have to be a faster thinker first. So if you're a distance runner, playing video games will improve your running speed long before any, "Top 10 ways to run faster," magazine crap ever will. And the training industry will never tell you than fact.

And yet you're still clueless to the fraud of what you're taught.

Tell any athlete that you can teach them to run 20% faster in an hour and they'll call you an idiot long before they ever ask you how they do it.

Especially since three trackways of  human footprints proved to be quicker in the 100m sprint than Usain Bolt, and you don't even know they exist.

It's my standard rebuke to such a colorful display of human stupidity when people finally figure out that they can't use science to shut me up. If you think you're intelligent, then cite me the legal definition of the word and tell me how it applies to you.

For that I'm still waiting....

And thanks for a great example of why I'm called crazy, yet you're all continuing to follow the same advice and expect different results.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

You seriously can't believe there is only one way to run.

What do you think of zatopek his form was horrible but he was one of the best of all time.