Protesters plan on blocking Twin Cities Marathon just before finish line twin (Read 447 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

Wow, I see nothing but trouble here.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/09/28/marathon-organizers-respond-to-black-lives-matter-plans/

"My hope is the marathon runners realized they're not going to be able to finish this race and instead of being angry and complaining, that they join in in the protest and stand in solidarity because justice is all we are asking for," Turner said.

Yeah, that's how I'd feel if I was blocked just at the end of a marathon and just after running for anywhere from 2-5+ hours.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

It's certainly something to ponder. And I am ... How might I feel and why.

I am privileged to be able to train.

I am privileged to be able to enter marathons on a whim.

I worked hard to be able to complete a marathon in 2-5 hours.

I worked hard to get to the finish line in 2-5 hours.

And, because I am privileged and work hard, I can also do it again some other time.

Liz

pace sera, sera

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

Privilege does not equal oppression.  What they are planning to do is illegal, and should be dealt with by police.

Also, forcing somebody to stop doing what they are clearly passionate about - and has nothing to do with what you are protesting against - is a very poor way to recruit supporters to your cause.

is a very poor way to recruit supporters to your cause.

That should be their slogan. They make everyone mad but I couldn't count a single person I know that is sympathetic to their cause. We never want to see violence but this has all the makings of some frustrated runner plowing through them, the "victim" filing a claim, and both the runner and the city facing a lawsuit.

Hopefully all the runners come though this fine. The protestors? Who cares?

mikeymike

The protestors? Who cares?

I care. I hope no protestors and no runners get hurt.

And, for the record, I'm sympathetic to their cause. But I think standing in front of the finish line of a marathon would be a really bad idea for everyone, and I hope they don't do that.

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It could be argued that finishing a foot race is pretty trivial when people are being beaten and shot because of their race. That's what the protesters are arguing, in fact. I will be there, in the foot race. I hope no one gets hurt. I'll let you know what I see.

runfattyrun

You could argue that almost everything we do is trivial compared to that but where do we draw the line? What about attending school? Hypothetically, the activists could create a situation where they prevent people from going to their college classes or high school classes. What about work? Shouldn't we all completely stop what we are doing until the objective is achieved?

It could be argued that finishing a foot race is pretty trivial when people are being beaten and shot because of their race. That's what the protesters are arguing, in fact. I will be there, in the foot race. I hope no one gets hurt. I'll let you know what I see.

What happens if the person who crosses the finish line first is underprivileged and rose above their situation to win or even just to finish?  This is what I think the protesters are missing.  Running is one of the few sports that doesn't require privilege to do.

If they want to prove a point, maybe they should all run the marathon as bandits proving that they can finish a marathon without having the privilege of being able to afford paying or training for the race.  I think they would send a much different message.

BeeRunB

BeeRunB

hope it doesn't get cancelled.

HermosaBoy

hope it doesn't get cancelled.

The protest or the race?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

rlopez

I understand why runners would take this personally, but it surely seems like we're feeling targeted on purpose... as if the statement is being made against running. I don't think it is about us at all, and in fact, our 'thing' got chosen basically because it is a large public event with a huge media presence being held in a municipality (St Paul) that has very fuzzy rules (unlike, say, Minneapolis) about the legal/illegal nature of what they are planning.

It would piss me off, and if I was going, I might be a little nervous about what could happen. AND I think they've made a really bad call here.

But that said, it's just running. I've seen runners all over facebook encouraging each other to punch these people or spray them with mace or whatever, and yikes. Even as a joke, yikes.  This is our passion, but we do this because we wanna and for fun. Supposedly.  I even saw one guy equate our passion (running) to the level of passion they have about "their issue".  Hmm. Even though this chapter of BLM (and mind you, it isn't like they are being directed by a centralized org to do this...) has made an odd choice, it is clear to me that many folks really haven't thought through the issues at hand.

I hope everyone has a safe day. If I was there and came face to face with them, I'd ask the ones in front of me what their names are. I'd tell them mine and ask to pass.  If I didn't feel safe, I'd go around.  Pretty sure they aren't pulling a hands-across-america stunt.  Would this dork up a BQ or PR attempt? Yeah. It's just running and there's another race just around the corner.

That's just me.

It's the same reason the Boston Marathon was chosen by the Tsarnaevs.  Easy access.

I would be sympathetic to Black Lives Matter but their tactics are similar to terrorists.  Using innocent civilians (marathoners or commuters sitting on Route 93 in Boston during rush hour) as targets as a way to reach your goals.  It's not cool.  If you want to protest, apply for a permit and march down the street yelling your slogans.

Best Present Ever

That should be their slogan. They make everyone mad but I couldn't count a single person I know that is sympathetic to their cause. We never want to see violence but this has all the makings of some frustrated runner plowing through them, the "victim" filing a claim, and both the runner and the city facing a lawsuit.

Hopefully all the runners come though this fine. The protestors? Who cares?

I'm sympathetic to their cause and methods. I care about about the protesters' message. I pretty much agree with Mike and Robert. This may not be the bay place for their protest, mostly because there is a good possibility of people being hurt, but I get why they're doing it.

spinach

I heard that the organizers of the protest are willing to negotiate with the race director about the protest but they won't talk with the St Paul police.  So I hope that they will come to some agreement that will allow the runners to finish.  I have been battling a heel problem and so the protest may give me a good excuse for my bad time on Sunday.

My big concern here is that they are talking about closing the race right before the finish line. I don't think that will be a good spot because after running 25 miles most runners will not be thinking clearly and having the protest at that point may provoke a violent reaction.  I think the protest would have better located somewhere earlier in the race when people will be less stressed by the distance.