RA site won't see my Garmin 305 (Read 1194 times)

Tim Hardy

Dear RA;

New member. I've downloaded the Garmin Plug in & USB Driver, but RA still doesn't see my 305. Turned on. What's the solution to upload from my 305?

respectfully,

TLH

eric :)

Hi Tim,

What happens when you go to this page:

http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/test/

Does it detect your plugin and the Forerunner?

Imminent Catastrophe

Does Garmin Communicator see your 305? And have you downloaded your data to it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, Eric, but I believe that the data is downloaded to your computer by Garmin Communicator, then RA gets the data from your computer, not from the watch. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Tim Hardy

Good Morning;

Yes, Garmin Communicator does see my device and says it's working properly, again after re-examining this, this AM. RA still does not see my 305 and is still telling me to install Garmin Communicator plug in.

I'd rather not translate my entire Garmin Training center to a zip file to upload, so I'm hoping I can get the 305 to upload directly.

Thanks for any advice.

TLH

Which browser and operating system are you using?

Does Garmin Communicator see your 305? And have you downloaded your data to it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, Eric, but I believe that the data is downloaded to your computer by Garmin Communicator, then RA gets the data from your computer, not from the watch. 

Garmin Communicator is a piece of software that runs from the browser.  Its only purpose is to allow the javascript code access to the GPS since javascripts are not allowed direct access to anything outside of the browser.  RA downloads the data from the GPS through Garmin Communicator.  There's nothing written to the disk.

Tim Hardy

Eric;

I have Windows 7 and the browser is Internet Explorer.

Still won't see my GF 305 even through the Garmin Plug in update page says it's updated and working properly.

Tim

Tim,

There are several reasons why RA doesn't see your Forerunner so you need to be very specific.  When you're on the import page, do you see a yellow info bar above the page asking you to grant permission to the Garmin Communicator plugin to run?  If you have already did that, then do you see a yellow warning icon on the left side of IE's status bar at the bottom?  If not, what happens when you visit this page: http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/test/?

Hi

I have had the same issue and figured it out.

I was using a beta of IE9 but it always worked in the past and then just stopped.

I downloaded chrome and that worked fine so it was an IE issue.

I think they may update the sites registering with "compatibility view" in IE so when you either switch on compatibility in IE or add www.runningahead.com to the list of sites that browse using this it works fine.

Hope that helps

Ciaran

Imminent Catastrophe

Garmin Communicator is a piece of software that runs from the browser.  Its only purpose is to allow the javascript code access to the GPS since javascripts are not allowed direct access to anything outside of the browser.  RA downloads the data from the GPS through Garmin Communicator.  There's nothing written to the disk.

I meant to say Garmin Training Center, which stores the data on your disk as a TCX file. I assume that's where RA gets the GPS data that uploads to the RA log. Once you've used GTC to upload the data, you don't need the watch to upload it to RA.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Ruler of one

I've been having a little trouble also, Linux Firefox had been working nicely but now RA shows 'Not Connected'. Switch to the Garmin fake pluggin and going to http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/test/ gives

Communicator Plugin is properly installed.

Older plugin version detected. Download the latest version.

Gpsbabel connects fine (have they figured HR yet? ).

Mike

Ruler of one

Magic combination of the day: plug in camera to usb.

?

Smile

Mike

I'm working on adding a debug facility that will print out additional info to help track down problems.  I compared my code against the reference Garmin code and it's doing the exact thing that Garmin Connect is doing.  I still think this is a problem with Garmin Communicator.

Ruler of one

I know you're working on this issue, just an FYI report. All attempts to connect today have failed even the magic camera plug in Smile I hit the submit debug button, hope you got something useful. I just now upgraded to Firefox Ubuntu 3.6.13, no joy. Thanks for all the work!

Ruler of one

Turned on debug for the plugin:

in part...

25.12.10 21:20:26 hasProperty: Unlock not found
                                25.12.10 21:20:26 Unlock("http://www.runningahead.com","d6834c36e8d1532ea1fcf639bc91f6ae")
                                25.12.10 21:20:26 hasProperty: StartFindDevices not found
                                25.12.10 21:20:26 StartFindDevices()
                                25.12.10 21:20:26 Searching for Edge705/Oregon300/...
                                25.12.10 21:20:26 Searching for garmin devices like Edge 305/Forerunner 305...
                                25.12.10 21:20:26 Found garmin device: Forerunner305 Software Version 2.80
                                25.12.10 21:20:26 Found device via garmintools: Forerunner305 Software Version 2.80
                                25.12.10 21:20:26 Creating new SD Card Device from configuration: Home Directory /home/mike
                                25.12.10 21:20:26 Found path: /home/mike for GPSData

If you'd like the whole file, it is not huge.

Mike