2018 New York Marathon Thread (Read 217 times)

slingrunner

This is for 2019, but if you meet your qualifying time in a non NY marathon but USA race, what are your changes of getting in, and is it a random raffle, or first come first serve?  Thanks.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Looks like I'm in wave 1, green start B corral

Where did you get that information?  I don't see my wave/corral in my account.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
      10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

onemile

Where did you get that information?  I don't see my wave/corral in my account.

It was in the live results on the site and race predictor in the app but it looks like they took it down

Julia1971

This is for 2019, but if you meet your qualifying time in a non NY marathon but USA race, what are your changes of getting in, and is it a random raffle, or first come first serve?  Thanks.

I don't think they've ever said how they'd determine who gets in.  But, I also don't know that this has ever came up.  I seem to recall seeing a couple of threads on various sites over the years asking if anyone with a qualifying time has ever been rejected and not seeing anyone saying they had.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Never heard of someone getting rejected for a time qualifier. I imagine it’s possible if people keep getting faster like they do for Boston, but what’s going on there is a bit unique (all the ridiculous super downhill marathons specifically designed for people to “cheat” there way into the race). So technically everyone is guaranteed that does the specific NYRR races, but I think you’re set if you do run the time qualifier. The vast majority of people that get in, I imagine are through half marathons, which in my opinion are much easier than the full times. For example, the men 18-34 group is 1:21 for the half but 2:53 for the full.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm pretty sure that NYC, unlike Boston, will accept all legitimate qualifiers.

I'm pretty sure that NYC, unlike Boston, will accept all legitimate qualifiers.

Isn't there theoretically a chance of running out of spots? If not historically, maybe in the future if qualifier applications increase?

Thinking about the possibility of shooting for 2020; I hit a new AG where Q time just might be achievable....

Dave

onemile

Looks like you can download your confirmation card in your NYRR profile now which has bib/wave/corral assignments

Julia1971

Isn't there theoretically a chance of running out of spots? If not historically, maybe in the future if qualifier applications increase?

Thinking about the possibility of shooting for 2020; I hit a new AG where Q time just might be achievable....

I checked their website and they actually do address this (emphasis mine):

A limited number of time-qualifier spots will be available to runners who meet the time standards in a non-NYRR race. These spots will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Applicants who apply with a non-NYRR race qualifying time will be placed in the non-guaranteed entry drawing until their time can be verified. Verification will be completed prior to the 2019 drawing. Those who apply with a non-NYRR race qualifying time after the number of spots available has been reached will be placed in the non-guaranteed entry drawing.

Julia1971

Just pulled my registration card.  I'm still in Wave 1 but at the back.  Orange start, which I think I did in 2016.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Put your name in the lottery for 2019.  Doesn't cost anything anymore.  1 in 6 chance, if my info is correct.  I know you're running Boston in the spring, so how cool would it be to do NYC in the fall?  Just sayin. 

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Just pulled my registration card.  I'm still in Wave 1 but at the back.  Orange start, which I think I did in 2016.

Orange is the best.  Upper deck with the city view on VZ.  If I could control my angst, I'd sit in the port-o potty to empty everything while everyone starts.  Let the herd thin out a bit then go.  Time doesn't start until you cross the mat anyway.  BTW - I'm jealous.  I'll be in the peanut gallery at mile 11.5 ish.

3/17 - NYC Half

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I've moved to Orange as well before even though I'm seeded in Blue. The only downside to Orange is that the crowds are much bigger on the east side of 4th Ave than the west side. So if you like to be high fiving kids and being really in the action, Blue/Green are better. I personally don't care, I'll take the peace and quiet of the west side before things get crazy when the courses converge .

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

onemile

I've moved to Orange as well before even though I'm seeded in Blue. 

They let you switch start colors?

Bert-o

I lost my rama

They let you switch start colors?

You are allowed to fall back in the corrals.  I'd think it would really depend on the person(s) controlling the corrals and how flexible they are in terms of changing colors.  For you, I suspect you're probably Blue.  Blue isn't bad, since that's where the elites start.  Orange for the city view.  Green to get peed on (although I never got peed on in green, but a fun myth nonetheless).

This is from 2015, but I suspect it still is pretty close for this year as well.  Not sure if the start times are the same though.

3/17 - NYC Half