UV protection sleeves that are lightweight? (Read 735 times)

Treadmill Addict

I'm looking for UV protection sleeves that won't be too hot, I'd like to wear them all year. (Had a fun visit to the dermatologist today and got some pre-cancerous spots on my arm taken off.) I've googled and looked around quite a bit, but honestly there is so many options that I'm not sure if I'm picking the right thing. Moeben sleeves? Regular sun sleeves? Needs to be lightweight so I can wear it running outside even when it's warmer. (I could wear long sleeve shirts I guess, but I'd rather just have something light on my arms.) Anyone have any recommendations?

And of course I'll be wearing sunblock, but I figure extra protection wouldn't hurt, since I'm going to be ramping up my miles for 2011 and running outside more.

Sarah (37)

Mom to Abby (10) Jacob, (8) and Colton (5)

18 half marathons, 6 full marathons

Goals- run more, lose 20lbs.

Feeling the growl again

No info on the sleeves for you, but hopefully your derm explained to you that sunscreen does a better job of blocking UVB than UVA (and some sunscreens do a VERY poor job of blocking UVA).  Make sure your sunscreen is rated for UVA as well.  UVB is associated with the less serious types of skin cancer that rarely become serious.  Melanoma, the worst kind of skin cancer, is associated with UVA.  So sunscreen does not do a great job of protecting you from the main cause of melanoma.  The sleeves will do a much better job of that for you...if they are effective at blocking the rays.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

#artbydmcbride

UV protection sleeves are kind of compressiony, a light weight long sleeve shirt from UVA protective material would be lots more comfortable.  Especially in any heat.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hubby and I got Moeben UV sleeves after he was diagnosed with a melanoma.  He's ridden 100+ miles in Death Valley in 110+ degree heat and been relatively comfortable.  The trick is squirting water down the sleeves--they feel cold as the water evaporates.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

+1 for Moebens.

MTA: They have white Moebens which should help with heat issues during warmer months.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Real question, how are the Moeben's better than a loose fitting long sleeved shirt?  Asking because I have issues with running in the sun despite my dark skin.

dennrunner

Loose fitting shirts, when sweat soaked,  stick to the skin in an inconsistent manner.  Some areas will be sticking to the skin and some will be loose.  That bugs me.  They also tend to be made of material that does not stretch which tends to restrict movement when wet.  The compression sleeves stretch.

I sometimes use Pearl Izumi Sun Sleeves.  While I can't say they are cooler than going bare-armed,  they aren't much warmer.  And as has been said, if you squirt them with water you get the evaporative cooling effect.