Did My Li'l ipod Die? (Read 1147 times)

I've got a three or four year-old ipod shuffle (I think....it's the really small one). it just up and quit during my last run; no biggie: I thought that I'd re-charge it. Plugged it into its little charger thingy......nada. No light, no ipod icon on the desktop or in itunes. Switched USB ports (that's about as far as I can go, diagnosis-wise).....zip.

So I shook it a little bit (helps everything, right?) Still, nothing. I then peered studiously at the charger thing.....that didn't help either.

Any way I can get under the hood of this thing and give it a jump start? I've exhausted the limits of my technical prowess. Maybe I need a new charger thingy.

Thanks.

My 2nd gen does stuff like that rather frequently.  Through various high tech and logical sequences of turning it off and on and sometimes holding the play button it usually comes back to life.  Recently it has been acting like it has too much dried up sweat inside of it.  I gave it a good bath in alcohol and shook it around in a very technical pattern and let it dry out, that seemed to help quite a bit.  Other times when it appeared just plain dead I would leave it on the charger for a while and even though it didn't appear to be charging it would wake up with my next series of fancy button patterns.  Good luck!

Press and hold the play/pause and menu buttons at the same time.

buttons

Plural? This thing has one, multi-purpose loud/quiet, forward-backward, on-off button.

I just might be digging this thing its grave tomorrow, with a spoon....

Why is it sideways?

That's the way mine died.

Plural? This thing has one, multi-purpose loud/quiet, forward-backward, on-off button.

I just might be digging this thing its grave tomorrow, with a spoon....

Didn't pay close enough attention. Here is how to reset a shuffle.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1655

Hmmmm. Remember how easy it used to be to ascertain that your musical medium was FU'ed? Your record was scratched. The stereo ate your cassette. You found your CD by the brake pedal of your truck. Easy.

In all these cases, blame, or at least cause, is simple: the record is scratched. (And that's a shame, since it's Mingus at Carnegie Hall) But there's no guesswork, no "My intellect is to blame because I can't figure out how to fix it."

The moral? sometimes broke is just broke. Now get off my lawn.

Why is it sideways?

Hmmmm. Remember how easy it used to be to ascertain that your musical medium was FU'ed? Your record was scratched. The stereo ate your cassette. You found your CD by the brake pedal of your truck. Easy.

In all these cases, blame, or at least cause, is simple: the record is scratched. (And that's a shame, since it's Mingus at Carnegie Hall) But there's no guesswork, no "My intellect is to blame because I can't figure out how to fix it."

The moral? sometimes broke is just broke. Now get off my lawn.

Beautiful.

Sumbitch just lit back up.

Julia1971

Sumbitch just lit back up.

FWIW, my first two Nanos would mysteriously malfunction and then come back.  So, I decided to keep two iPods handy - that way when one dies, I can use the other until it comes back to life.  I'm on my 4th iPod now and only one has died and stayed dead.

Depending on which generation shuffle it is, it might be highly susceptible to humidity.  Mine flakes out when it's humid out but once I've let it "dry out" inside for a bit it will work again.  I don't remember which generation mine is but the controls are on the headphone cord.  I now keep the controls covered in plastic wrap and that seems to help a lot.

Matt_B

Depending on which generation shuffle it is, it might be highly susceptible to humidity.  Mine flakes out when it's humid out but once I've let it "dry out" inside for a bit it will work again.  I don't remember which generation mine is but the controls are on the headphone cord.  I now keep the controls covered in plastic wrap and that seems to help a lot.

I have the same one. (3rd gen I believe) Thought the controls on the cord was a nice idea, until sweat or humidity causes the buttons to not work or stick.

The metal clip with razor sharp edges also is a pain. Clip it to your running shorts and it's like running with a razor blade tucked in your pants. I'm thinking of taking the dremel to it and rounding the sharp edges. Anybody else have a fix other than buy a different one?

nybody else have a fix other than buy a different one?

Little strips of duct tape?

I have a first gen nano.  Nearly 5 years, a good investment.  It has only flaked out on me once, and I run in the rain a lot.  I did the typical panicky push a bunch of buttons and it came back on showing a diagnostic menu, which I couldn't read in the dimly lit gym.  I then said WTF do I do now?  I pushed another button and it was happy again.  They are mysterious creatures.

I did have to replace the battery once, cost about 15 dollars.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."