ultimate runner's test...... (Read 4097 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

No, you just need to put in a sincere response after 5-10 joke responses. Gallowtroll.
    Ouch Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Roses Revenge

I don't know kosherdave at all, but I noticed that the sixth place person in the Empire State Building Run Up this year was some guy from Italy who wasn't named David. Are you talking about some other year? MTA - hit the enter key too soon. If someone took sixth place using your methods, what method did the people in first through fifth place use and how is it possible for them to be faster? I've never seen an ostrich or cheetah in any of the races I've done. Or even a monkey so far. Can you name someone who follows your method that has completed a marathon? That would be more meaningful to me and many of the other posters here. Everybody knows that wikipedia in the place to find the most accurate information on the internet.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Maybe the key to speed is to run backwards, to better mimic the leg motions of the ostrich.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Maybe the key to speed is to run backwards, to better mimic the leg motions of the ostrich.
          Video of running backwards up the Empire State Building would be appropriate at this point. Even better would be video of an ostrich running backwards upstairs. Special bonus points if it is being chased by a cheetah.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Peak speed is 43MPH, and run for a distance of 31 miles as stated. http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/birds/ostrich.html In nature, since they can't fly, they out run, and out cut their predators into exhaustion until they give up.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Maybe the ostrich should run forwards upstairs, and the cheetah run backwards. I'm having trouble keeping track now. But somebody please tell the cheetah to save some of the ostrich for the ostemuturducken

sport jester

Biomimeticist

and yes, you're correct.... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7787851?ordinalpos=1039&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum Or you can use your femur more efficiently and use it no different than an ostrich does

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Peak speed is 43MPH, and run for a distance of 31 miles as stated. http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/birds/ostrich.html In nature, since they can't fly, they out run, and out cut their predators into exhaustion until they give up.
                  I see some similarities here. I am exhausted. Very ostrich like SJ. ( can we call you SJ, I kind of like it.)
                  Scout7

That link says they can run at 31 miles per hour over distance, and sprint at 43 miles per hour. It does not say the ostrich can run for 31 miles. Additionally, it uses its wings to steer, allowing it to maneuver better. I'm pretty sure I can't use my arms to steer myself like that.
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

An underpowered in vitro study that incorrectly applied tests of significance while evaluating a non weight-bearing joint does and then published in a small journal nobody has ever heard of does not a generalizable conclusion make.
                      xor

An underpowered in vitro study that incorrectly applied tests of significance while evaluating a non weight-bearing joint does and then published in a small journal nobody has ever heard of does not a generalizable conclusion make.
                        But in vitro does make good fertilizer. I was hoping that ostriches really could run fast for 31 miles. It would explain why most of us don't see them at races. They only enter 50ks, and they are too far in front of everyone. I've never seen ostriches nor cheetahs at races either. I have seen an ass, though, several times.

. Additionally, it uses its wings to steer, allowing it to maneuver better. I'm pretty sure I can't use my arms to steer myself like that.
                          Black Cactus disagrees. Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
                          For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.
                          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Most of us don't start far enough forward to see the elite predator corral or the elite prey corrals...

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Additionally, it uses its wings to steer, allowing it to maneuver better. I'm pretty sure I can't use my arms to steer myself like that.
                              yes you do use your arms to steer. http://www.jbiomech.com/article/S0021-9290(08)00105-X/abstract The question I ask is why we can't run straight and need to steer http://www.journalofvision.org/1/3/4/ And the visual skill is another component that by running straighter, you can run faster without having to physically run faster..... The link is the answer to the question I first posted. How far do you run when you run 100meters. You will always run further than the physical distance of the race.

xor

The question I ask is why we can't run straight and need to steer
                                You don't enter a lot of races, do you?