ultimate runner's test...... (Read 4097 times)

Roses Revenge

The question I ask is why we can't run straight and need to steer .
    Well, usually the courses I run on aren't straight and I haven't figured out a way to run up the side of the building in front of me so I need to steer around it.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

xor

Well, usually the courses I run on aren't straight and I haven't figured out a way to run up the side of the building in front of me so I need to steer around it.
      Shoot, Rose, even if you find a straight course, there will still be a dude with an ipod who gets in front of you and stops, necessitating a bit of passing (aka, steering). You know where you don't need to steer? On a treadmill. But we shouldn't run on a treadmill. So I think I'll keep steering.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Regardless to how straight you think you run, you can't.... Humans can't walk straight, run straight, ride a bicycle straight or even drive a car straight.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

xor

Oh. We're on p31. A 50k thread! Hot damn.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

You know where you don't need to steer? On a treadmill. But we shouldn't run on a treadmill. So I think I'll keep steering.
            No, go back and reread the link to inability to run straight.. the testing was done on a treadmill.

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

xor

Regardless to how straight you think you run, you can't....
              But nobody seems to give a shit about this except you.

Humans can't walk straight, run straight, ride a bicycle straight or even drive a car straight.
                damn straight.

xor

George Strait.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

But nobody seems to give a shit about this except you.
                    You're distance runners, with track runners, that's what separates a gold medal from a silver. Not how fast you run, but how far you have to run caused by forward drift. With 100 meters your distance limit, every variable counts.

Scout7

So if you know we don't give a shit because we aren't sprinters, why do you insist on trying to get us to give a shit?
                      Roses Revenge

Oh. We're on p31. A 50k thread! Hot damn.
                        So now I can say I've done an ultra?

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

Jazz hands!

So are we supposed to run straight or turn corners really effectively? Make up your mind please. There's an ostrich farm near my May half marathon. I am now worried about the competition, but mostly because I think they may stop after a few hundred yards and then just kick the rest of us.
                          run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                            ok now you are talking about 0.2% which is a far cry from 20%.

xor

every variable counts.
                              PV=nRT Solve for n. (hint: n is a constant) Anyway, I really could care less about rowing, indoor rowing, or the 100 meter dash. I like running things 5k and longer, beer, and naked women. Though not at the same time.

You're distance runners, with track runners, that's what separates a gold medal from a silver. Not how fast you run, but how far you have to run caused by forward drift. With 100 meters your distance limit, every variable counts.
                                So you are saying that the effects of forward drift decrease as running distance increases? I would think that there would be a larger effect for longer distance events. Interesting (not).
                                For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.