The Road to Boston goes through Jersey (Read 766 times)

Hawt and sexy

Well, for me at least. Last winter, a few friends and I decided we would meet up again. This time It would be at the NJ Marathon. I had run this one last year and almost BQed, so I was very happy to run this course again. I had elected to not peak for this race as I did not think I needed to to BQ this time around. Fashion report: Black sports bra with multi-colored piping, turquoise blue rollergirl skirt, socks, and my New Balance 902s. No panties were harmed for this race. Well, I met up with my friends and went to line up at the start. I had worn one of my Amphipod pockets. This was the larger model that is worn on the outside of an outfit. It fell off of me at the start before we even started. I had never lost one of those on a training runs so I was very surprised when it fell off of me. I grabbed it and put it inside of the skirt. I lined up with my friend Sudsy but we separated pretty much as soon as the gun went off. I seriously questioned my ability to BQ for one mile. After that mile was completed, I knew I had this covered. I ran the race I wanted, I stayed at a very steady pace. At first I was right behind the 3:40 group. Between mile 7 and 8 I ran a sub 8 minute mile and lost sight of that group. They were going a bit too fast at that point. I felt absolutely wonderful. I did look at my HRM to make sure I was going the right pace. I will tell you this, my current marathon HR was at one point my half marathon HR. I was able to maintain this HR the entire race. I train g00t. I did notice that my lack of speed training affected my turnover. I did not worry about this since I stayed on pace. At around mile 9, I saw the leaders. They were all doing very well. It was just the men and I only saw 4 of them before I had to turn, only one of those men was a marathoner, the others were running the half. I still felt great and kept on going. Mile 10 brought the food station. Gummy bears! Big grin I made it a point to drink at every aid station. I drank Gatorade and poured water on myself. I never once choked on the Gatorade. That is new, I usually choke a few times. I guess I have mastered the running cup pinch method. It was overcast and about 60 with a breeze, the volenteers were freezing and kinda freaked out when I dumped water on myself. I was told over and over again that I looked cold. I felt just fine. This marathon is a half marathon course that you run two loops for the marathon. The first time you go through the finish line it is very hard to not pick it up as the half marathoners around you race to their finish. I was prepared for this and kept my pace. I had a handful of people around me that were Gallowalkers. They were all together and hoping for a 3:45. At the beginning, they told me to take it easy and walk with them. I said I was fine, I was planing to finish at the same pace, just stay with me. They laughed. I lost contact with the last hanger-oner at mile 21 and he did not look well. They did not meet their goal that day. I kept on smiling an kept on going. Let's talk crowd support. This race is great when it comes to crowd support. There is the perfect amount of crowd and dead time. Tons of cowbell. And if you say I need more cowbell, you get more cowbell. I heart cowbell. There are also a couple of unofficial adult beverage fluid stations if you know where to look. Big grin I had no time for such pleasures. I smiled most of the way and enjoyed it all. At about mile 23 I ran into Sudsy. He had blown up. He did not look great but he was toughing it out. He tried to run with me but could not get it done. He wished me well and told me he would see me in Boston. I hit the food station again. More gummy bears. Only a 5k left. I felt so strong. The last turn looking at and hearing the ocean was great. I do love the beach. I need to do more beach marathons. I got my BQ. 3:45:29 gun time. 3:43:31 chip time. A day after the race, I have driven home and I feel great. Just a little bit sore in the quads but I have no trouble going up or down stairs. I had two blisters that are now gone and the bottom of my feet hurt after the race. I am doing great, I don't even need any ibuprofen. We ate and drank well after the race. We had to celebrate my BQ. I hear there are pics of me somewhere. I have not seen them yet. I am hawt.

I'm touching your pants.

Lisa3.1

You did Great, Congratulations Or ... ˙suoıɐlnʇɐɹƃuoɔ 'ʇɐǝɹƃ pıp noʎ hehe.
      JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

Reading your thread makes me want to eat gummy bears! Hmmm....chocolate covered ones. Maybe I'll get a run in first.... Nice report, where are the pics? (That's my favorite part.)
        "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
        runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats on BQ. Nice race report. Who says 26 mlies 365 yards are not fun! Big grin

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Nice report! Congratulations on the BQ, we knew you could do it! SOOOOOOO, did you happen to meet up with any RA'ers? Big grin

Michelle

Hawt and sexy

The only pics I have are not of me. LOL If I ever get access to the pics the friend took, I will post them.

I'm touching your pants.

Hawt and sexy

Nice report! Congratulations on the BQ, we knew you could do it! SOOOOOOO, did you happen to meet up with any RA'ers? Big grin
                Maybe. Big grin You are so tiny. I was scared I would crush you when I hugged you. LOL

I'm touching your pants.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A day after the race, I have driven home and I feel great. Just a little bit sore in the quads but I have no trouble going up or down stairs. I had two blisters that are now gone and the bottom of my feet hurt after the race. I am doing great, I don't even need any ibuprofen.
                  That bit fascinates me...after a BQ, nonetheless. Nice job! I'm majorly relieved every time I see that someone has comfortably completed a full marathon in the 902s, too. Either those or the new 903s will likely be my own marathon shoe, as I have not had luck with any other shoes in the past 6+ months. So far I've gone 16 miles at a crack in those, but it still makes me nervous. Glad they worked so well for ya'. I hope one of these days I run a race without choking drinking from a cup (thus far I've not done well with this, even with pinching the cup). On Sat. I am determined to run without my Amphipod belt. My skirt has pockets on both hips, so hopefully I will have room for gels, inhaler, and spare tampon...I really don't want to be hindered by that damned touristy fanny-pack crap.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

No blisters? I wish I could say the same thing. I haven't gotten blisters with these shoes and of course they picked yesterday to happen. I need to check my mileage on my shoes, maybe it's time to get some new ones.

Michelle

GREAT JOB Willa!! I still want to try a pair of those Rocken blue shoes!! CONGRATS ON BQING! BTW Michelle I got major hotspots. I KNOW mine are due to hitting the same way (pretty much) for 26.2 FLAT miles Roll eyes

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Michelle and Pam...you guys ever try that Blister Shield powder that Lynn raves about? That stuff is AWESOME! I use that whenever I fear that I *might* have issues. I'm definitely gonna use it for my 25k on Sat.--better safe than sorry.

~ Sarah Kay

Hawt and sexy

Oh, I have blisters. They are in my usual race day spots. One is from my toenail, I forgot to file. The other is on the bottom of my foot, I don't know where it comes from, but I have had it the last three marathons right in between my big and second toe. They didn't hurt after a few hours so I didn't/don't care. I also have some chaffing from putting the Amphipod pocket on the inside of my skirt. Nothing really hurts bad though.

I'm touching your pants.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, I have blisters. They are in my usual race day spots. One is from my toenail, I forgot to file. The other is on the bottom of my foot, I don't know where it comes from, but I have had it the last three marathons right in between my big and second toe.
                            Every blister I've ever had has been kind of in the same area...around the ball of my foot, below my big toe and to the side. I don't blister often, but if I do, that's where it is. Typically if there is a seam or piece of overlay that hits me funny. I had issues 7 miles into my first pair of 902s, but never any with pair #2. Pair #3 will have 30 miles on them for my Sat. race, which has me a little nervous, but the Blister Shield should at least minimize any issues greatly. What is it about races that cause blisters, as opposed to a regular training run of the same distance? This is the thing I don't get. I hear this happening to people all the time. Is it simply a matter of pace/effort?

~ Sarah Kay

Master of Inconsistency

Congrats Willa on your BQ !! Funny I ran NJ Marathon too , never get blisters on my feet in training ,but got one at Mile 11 for some reason. The Salty Air ??? Greg

Ain't  Wastin' Time No More !

Congrats on the BQ! You make it sound so easy! Smile

~Sara
                                It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan