Who all is here and what are you doing? (Read 16874 times)

I'm Pete from Massachusetts. I was directed to this site by a lady on a Weight Watcher's website. I'm part of a Let's Talk Running thread that posts there daily. I use it mostly for plotting my running routes. I think the elevations option is very helpful & is a distinct improvement over other websites route programs. I returned to running in April after pretty much a two decade layoff. I'd gotten very overweight (255) & started exercising regularly 3-4 years ago. I started running again at the urging of the ladies on the Let's Talk Running thread. I ran in my first race in 23 years 2 weeks ago, the Applefest Half Marathon in Hollis,NH. It was a ball. I've really enjoyed getting reacquainted with a sport from my youth. Needless to say a lot of things have changed with regards to training,nutrition, available gear in the past twenty years but, at root it's the same great sport. I'm planning on returning to marathoning at some point and getting my wife & daughter to join me in some races.
      Hey Pete - welcome back. You said it right - running is a great sport. Like you, I got out of it for a long time, but returned a couple years ago. I've been having a blast. Smile
        I think you found the right site. The tools are excellent. The users are a knowledgable, friendly, and funny. Make sure you run in the virtual races; they are great training motivators. But be carefull, this site is more addictive than heroin. Wink
          I love a good trail run, there's nothing like splashing through the mud after a good rain and tripping over roots and branches. Black eye Any new trail to blaze gets me "jazzed up" (thanks eric for this awesome site, i just found it sunday - it's the coolest.)
          "The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost
          Scout7

I love a good trail run, there's nothing like splashing through the mud after a good rain and tripping over roots and branches. Black eye Any new trail to blaze gets me "jazzed up" (thanks eric for this awesome site, i just found it sunday - it's the coolest.)
            Hopefully that's gonna be Sunday for me!
            Eryn

I'm 24, live in Colorado, in the middle of medical school, and am a devoted runner. Devoted and lazy. I'm currently trying to lose weight so that I can move up to ultras next year-- my first attempt this year was a flop, and I'm determined to hit it hard next year. I've been running since I was 15 and my favoritest race is Pikes Peak Marathon. I love trail running and do my best to stay the f*** away from pavement! So far, it's been a rough go at losing the weight, but I have a plan in place for the winter when I usually slack-- I bought a Concept2 Rowing machine, and love it! It's giving me the leg power I've always been missing and I use it daily-- can't have the boyfriend getting more meters than me! Hopefully between the rower and the ass kicking I got last year, I'll have the mojo to step it up this season. I love the training log on this site. Finally someone will do all of the graphing and summing for me! The satellite maps ROCK! I'm finally able to get my mileage accurate!

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, Barbie, I hear you on that weight loss thing...it's hard. I thought running would make it easier, but running makes me want to eat a LOT more, so if anything I've gained (and not just muscle, unfortunately). Neat doggie in your profile pic--what kind is he? Looks like a big snuggly guy! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

madness baby

Hi all, I'm a 28-year old grad student from southern California. I love this site! I originally found it when I was searching for a google maps mileage tracker so I don't have to drive my car around, and I was shocked to find such a comprehensive site Smile I have never been a runner until about 4 weeks ago, when I decided I needed to be able to exercise somewhere other than the gym, since it seems difficult to get there these days. I knew I'd only end up liking running if I trained for a lofty goal (for me), so I signed my husband (who has always been a runner) and myself up for a half-marathon. I struggled through my first 2 and 3 mile runs and have spent a lot of time sore and trying to rest, and currently I'm at 6 miles in training, with the HM January 07. I successfully have done a 5K with a sub-10 minute mile and was shocked, then did a 5-mile race with a 9:24 pace. But the point is that I'm addicted to running and love how it wears me out and shocks me every time I can run that far. I'm such a newbie, I know, but I guess I won't be for long. Looking forward to getting to know some of you on this site.
                  deb

You'll ruin your knees!

Welcome alilone! Glad you're here. I think lot's of those here use races to keep them motivated to get out there and run! I recently had the pleasure of my daughter-in-law's company on a run. She is training for a HM next spring, and is up to just about 6 mile runs (TNT training program). I had a long race scheduled and she wanted to do some running with me, thinking she would come out and do six miles with me. Well, the race was easily broken down into 2.4 mile segments (that was the entire course, we were just repeating it over and over (and over...), so she did two loops with me and decided on another...getting her to the longest run she had ever done at 7.2 miles. Well, at the end of each loop, she said, I think I'll do another...she stopped at 14 miles! The morale of the story is to break it down into known pieces and take one at a time...just put one foot in front of another and don't think about the whole thing at once! Keep that in mind as you continue to build the miles....Oh, and there is a HM training forum here (go to communities and look for it). Lot's of others to share your stories with...don't be a stranger! Good luck with the training! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

madness baby

Thanks Lynn. That's quite a run for someone only training at 6-7 miles! That's great. I enjoy running with someone, also, and am happy that DH is running some with me. Without that I'd probably stop. You're right about breaking it down and it has been working so far. I'm doing the runnersworld HM training program and am using Hal Higdon some as well, changing it up for my schedule. I'm not familiar with the TNT program. I will look for the HM group, tahnks for letting me know! I'm excited to be here!
                      deb
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hi, Alilone! Nice to have you here! Definitely come check out the HM training group. A lot of us are done with our HMs for this year, but 2007 is in sight! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

I am copying this from the previous page. I introduced myself but it was the last post on the page and I think it was missed. Just wanted to say hi to everyone as I will be visiting this site more in the future. I am Alan from Georgia. I found this site by way of a link that someone (I think Trent) posted on the boards that I have been a member of for over 5 years. Very nice set up that you guys have here. I have run 11 marathons along with numerous half marathons and races of shorter distances. The last couple of years my running has taken a hit in mileage and time as my wife and I adopted our son and most of my time goes towards my family. Last year I ventured in to tri's and did 3 sprints. Was going to step up in disance but decided that I wasn't ready to devote that much time to it just yet.
                          http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hi, Alan...wow, 11 marathons! All you 26.2 folks are such an inspiration (and I won't even get started on you ultra people!). Glad Trent directed you here. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

I'm Sean from Pasadena. I did the C25K last spring term for a self-design class at my college, and I've stuck to running ever since. I haven't really done any exciting running stuff. The first few months I ran on a track because I thought running on hard surfaces was giving me shin splints (turned out to be my shoes and the fact I was making so many turns), so I didn't really make much progress until a few weeks ago. Don't really have time during the school year as I have way too much work, but I'm hoping to start entering races soon.
                                Hi everyone, this is my first post here but I have been hanging around for a couple of months. I started the Couch to 5k program in October (can I mention that here? I hope so, if not, sorry!) and I am on track to complete the final week next week. My personal goal is to be able to run 3.1m/5k by end of 2006, which I am on track for. I've also signed up for a 5k race on March 4, 2007 so I will begin training for that and working on improving my time over the next 3 months. I cut a deal to pay myself a dollar for every mile I completed on C25k and I am up to almost $60, so I will be able to buy myself something pretty when I finish. Smile I am currently running 3x a week, Pilates class 1x a week, strength training 2x a week and sometimes I like to work in a brisk walk once a week if I have time. I am engaged to be married on June 9, 2007 and that is all I can think of to tell you! Hello to all of you and thank you for this great website, I love it! Shy
                                ---- Cynthia