Who all is here and what are you doing? (Read 16874 times)

You'll ruin your knees!

...ouch! Welcome maraballerina! Glad you're here! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Welcome maraballerina - and welcome back to running! MTA: Am I the only one who has now actually tried to do with my feet after seeing that picture? Roll eyes What is that position called anyhow?

Michelle

Welcome to RA! I agree with Lynn...OUCH!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

hehe thanks all! and you should see my other pictures if that's hurting you Smile I took that one while playing around in the theatre waiting for my next entrance. oh and Mississippi, that's first position.
          running is my prozac
            oh and Mississippi, that's first position.
            Thanks! I know one position name but couldn't put it with the actual position! Smile My brother's ex-wife is a ballet dancer. She had my brother dancing a little to help out her club with practices. He can still do the first position (and now I know that's what it's called!) , so can I, thanks to my ex-sister-in-law daring me to try it.

Michelle

I'm reposting this from the Marathon User Group. Hello everyone. New poster and new member here. I'm already registered for a half-marathon in June and I have my eyes on the Marine Corps Marathon in October (both will be uncharted territory). I'm completely unprepared and woefully out of shape but the long, slow journey began about a month ago. I ran track in college so I can appreciate some of what's ahead but even then I was a middle distance runner that had issues beyond eight miles and that was over a decade ago. My brother just ran a sub-four hour marathon and it was a pretty special event that I'd like to experience. I've been really impressed with this site, both its functionality as well as its community, so it's great to be a tiny part of it. All the best.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Welcome, Jeff/Lank! You'll be just fine if you train sensibly. Quite a few of us around here have gotten our lazy butts off the couch this year and started running. Me included.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Well figure I might as well post, I've posted a few times already but haven't really introduced myself. I'm Patrick. I'm 17 and from Nebraska. I will be doing my first half marathon in January and can't wait. As a graduation requirement, our school makes us do a senior project, pretty much anything that benefits the community. For mine, I will be journalizing my journey to running the half marathon and also raising money through pledges to benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I've been using the site for about a week now and am loving it. Not only can I track my runs, but also get great advice on the forums. Looking forward to becoming a regular. Nice to meet everyone
                  keep running!

Dog-Love

Welcome Patrick...lots of good folks and advice here. Good luck on your half and enjoy that last year of HS
                    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

You'll ruin your knees!

Patrick, Glad you're here! It is exciting to see young men stepping up and taking on efforts that support the community. Congrats on picking the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society as your beneficiary! Best of luck to you in your half! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Carl A

I've been using RA to log my running for a few months now, but just noticed this thread! So, here goes my introduction: I'm nearly 38 years old and live in the barely charted wilds of Northeast Pennsylvania. Because my wife and I are raising a young family of three boys, most of my weekday running is on lunch breaks; I can often get in an early morning long run on the weekend, and two of the boys are at an age where they want to run with me on short, early morning trots. These are the best! My workday life consists of copyediting full-time, teaching two university courses in the evenings, and editing freelance about ten hours a month. I completed five marathons from 1999-2005, but most of my racing lately has been in the form of low-key, homegrown ultras. I'm putting together a second annual local version of the International Yours Truly 50K, and last summer I co-organized and ran a 68-mile race that we called the Viaduct Trail Ultramarathon because it started under this huge bridge-like structure called the Starrucca Viaduct. Three of us started, and although only two finished, the runner who dropped out at 20 miles doubled his all-time long run distance. For next year, I'm training to improve my springtime marathon pace into Boston qualifying range and then run an autumn 100, probably Delaware. Thanks, Eric, for putting this site together; and thanks also to everyone here, for each being a part of this awesome group. Carl

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

100 Miles (I am still thinking of 26.2 someday!) Thanks for sharing Carl

Vim

Thanks Crabby and Lynn B. Yes, I'm very excited for the half. I have set my goal to get a sub-2 hour time and think that if I keep training hard, it should be within reach. Just a question for you guys, even though it's kind of the wrong thread, what should my maximum long run be? Should I ever go over 13.1 even if it feels OK or should I max out at around a 11-12 mile run (like my training schedule says)?
                            keep running!

Dog-Love

Definately you should go to the marthon user group to get "real" info, but I think with consistent intervals and long runs that go at least to 13.1 and a lot of good base, you are good to go. If you haven't done a half and you are really strong at the 10K distance, then try a long 13 mile run before your HM. I don't know when your HM is but the week before taper down and rest those muscles. Mostly get good sleep...oh and do your homework!!! I am such a mom!
                              Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                              Coach Jeanne

Speculum Wrangler

Hi! This is Jeanne in Ohio. I came to RA a few weeks ago while looking for a safe place to move my running log (crazy things are happening over at CoolRunning) and now I'm getting hooked on the forums. Not sure I'll ever get through these 30 pages of introductions, but you seem like friendly-enough folks... About me (or at least the running part of me): I'm 49yo and started running 6 yrs ago. I'm a mid-packer, although my race times are continuing to improve. This year, I became a pace coach for our local Marathoner in Training club. I was on target to meet my 1000-mile goal for the year until Plantar Fasciitis developed during the ramp-up for the Columbus Marathon. I got my heel injected, ran anyway, crashed and burned, finished 40mins off target. I finally got the message that I couldn't keep running through the pain, so early last month, I stopped (at 975 miles) and sought treatment. I'm now pain-free and have been given the ok to test my foot on an easy 4-miler when winter MIT resumes next Saturday. If all goes well, I'll run 21 more miles over the last two weeks of the year to make my mileage goal. Big grin 2008 goals: - get closer to a sub-2:00 Half - run (and enjoy!) the Big Sur Marathon - continue to improve 5k and 10k times - try more trail races - coach a new group toward their first half/full marathons - not get injured again! PS - Can someone direct me to the tutorial (or just tell me what to do) re: how to post pictures in the forum and how to copy/paste a previous posting into my reply? Thanks!

Jeanne