Is running Chicago a month before my goal marathon a terrible idea? (Read 174 times)

swb

I was supposed to run the Chicago marathon in a few weeks, but had to have surgery over the summer and lost 7+ weeks of training, so I'm out for this year. Now I'm faced with the decision of deferring to next year. I really want to run the race next year, but my goal next fall is to qualify for Boston (after September of next year, I'll be going for the next age group up).

My plan is to use Monumental Marathon in Indianapolis next November as my qualifying race (flat, cool, close to home, I know the course, etc.) Is it a terrible idea to do Chicago next October as a training/long run 4 weeks before my goal marathon in Indy?! I'll be going for a 3:50 in my goal race, so Chicago would be quite slow, 4+ hours on my feet.

I have to make a decision on my deferral today, and can't decide what to do.

Joann Y

Run 20 miles at the proper training pace for a long run and then happily and smugly walk off the course knowing that you got the experience of Chicago without ruining your goal race.

Kalsarikännit

Run 20 miles at the proper training pace for a long run and then happily and smugly walk off the course knowing that you got the experience of Chicago without ruining your goal race.

+1

You will be getting the majority of the Chicago experience if you drop out at Chinatown.  The rest of it is just meh south side.  Also, In case you don't have someone there, or don't want someone to try to navigate traffic that day (everything will be blocked), there is a red line L stop right there that will take you to the north side or downtown.

The only problem is getting caught up in the excitement of marathon day and running way faster than you planned.  It is easy to say, "I'll slow down at the next mile marker/aid station".  Good luck and have fun.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DukeDB

Defer, but register for Indy '18 too.  Maybe you will be very fit, capable of going for the BQ at Chicago if the weather looks cool from 2 weeks out and stays that way.  If it deteriorates, or you aren't ready, get out of your taper and resume prep for Indy.  You could decide the night before the race, even - a full taper for Chicago won't hurt you for Indy (though a 4+ hour effort probably would, so don't decide on the course).   Chicago is a great race and can be a good BQ course - I got my last one there.

Given the importance of cool weather to a good marathon, I think any BQ squeaker aspirant (like me) ought to register for 3-4 races, each offering a reasonable chance of cool weather.  Presuming you have the money and flexibility to do so.  You'll only complete one of them, the first one that's good and cool.

Bad advice!

Walk the final 6.2 so you can at least drink beer and eat after.  I mean, if you're paying for it and all.

Do they have Chicago-style deep dish at the finish line?

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Kalsarikännit

I just checked.  Chinatown is at 21.5.  I still say go for that.  It is a pretty cool spot in the marathon.

Years ago, the Chicago Marathon had Michelob Ultra at the post race.  You shouldn't walk an extra step out of your way for that crap.

Joann Y

Do they have Chicago-style deep dish at the finish line?

All the locals love Uno's. The Schaumburg location is the best. Why fight the crowds downtown? Just hop in a cab after the race and it'll take you right there no problem. You can probably get pitchers or even fishbowls of Michelob Ultra there too.

Kalsarikännit

All the locals love Uno's.

You are going to confuse 99% of the country with that statement, because they have only had that god-awful mess from the restaurants that some Boston company craps out in a pan in 10 minutes and calls "Chicago style deep dish pizza".

Joann Y

craps out in a pan

I laughed.

craps out in a pan in 10 minutes 

Impressive!

Yes. I was joking. Please don't ever go to Uno's. Unless you are from Appleton, Wisconsin. Then you should eat all the Uno's pan crap pizza that you want and wash it down with a nice refreshing New Glarus Cherry bomber.

swb

Thanks! So those of you that have raced Chicago - what are your thoughts on using it for a BQ (next year)? My main concern was the crowds. I should be able to get into Wave 1 (D or E) with a half marathon time. I was worried about dodging people the whole time and getting bottle necked too much.

Joann Y

Thanks! So those of you that have raced Chicago - what are your thoughts on using it for a BQ (next year)? My main concern was the crowds. I should be able to get into Wave 1 (D or E) with a half marathon time. I was worried about dodging people the whole time and getting bottle necked too much.

I was in wave 1 corral E last year and there was a lot of weaving around people for basically the whole entire race but it didn't bother me too terribly much. I managed to BQ. In some ways it annoyingly provided a distraction from myself if that makes any sense. For sure if you have a fast, flat, cool less crowded alternative then I would consider that but Chicago is a great race and if you want to BQ, I think it's a great place to do it. I'm signed up again this year if that says anything. I've heard good things about Monumental but have no experience there.

swb

Thanks Joann - and good luck in the marathon!

Defer, but register for Indy '18 too.  Maybe you will be very fit, capable of going for the BQ at Chicago if the weather looks cool from 2 weeks out and stays that way.  If it deteriorates, or you aren't ready, get out of your taper and resume prep for Indy.  You could decide the night before the race, even - a full taper for Chicago won't hurt you for Indy (though a 4+ hour effort probably would, so don't decide on the course).   Chicago is a great race and can be a good BQ course - I got my last one there.

Given the importance of cool weather to a good marathon, I think any BQ squeaker aspirant (like me) ought to register for 3-4 races, each offering a reasonable chance of cool weather.  Presuming you have the money and flexibility to do so.  You'll only complete one of them, the first one that's good and cool.

This seems reasonable. Any reason not to make Chicago your goal race?

That said, I am a BQ squeaker but have never given myself a backup race, I pick one & go all or nothing. More often it's nothing.

Also my 2 cents - if you are in the region, I recommend the Grand Rapids Marathon. Mid-sized (~1500 finishers), well organized, good support, fast & flat.

Dave

swb

This seems reasonable. Any reason not to make Chicago your goal race?

That said, I am a BQ squeaker but have never given myself a backup race, I pick one & go all or nothing. More often it's nothing.

Also my 2 cents - if you are in the region, I recommend the Grand Rapids Marathon. Mid-sized (~1500 finishers), well organized, good support, fast & flat.

My only reservation with Chicago was being slowed down by the crowds. I'm a little worried it will make me overly high strung to weave for 26.2 miles.

Grand Rapids has been on my radar! It's a bit of a drive for me, but not much further than Chicago and looks a great race. Thanks!

Only other Chicago warning, particularly if you are trying to dial in a pace, is to pretty much ignore your GPS because it totally loses its shit for the first 13 miles.  It miraculously improves in the second half but it doesn't matter much because there are plenty clocks on the course.  Turn off auto-lap and just take mile splits at clocks or every 5K.

I do think it is a good PR course despite the crowds...flat, usually cool, and solid pace groups.  If you're dialing in a pace, jump on the pace group that matches your target and hang on til Chinatown.  Agreed that the course sort of sucks after that.

My only reservation with Chicago was being slowed down by the crowds. I'm a little worried it will make me overly high strung to weave for 26.2 miles.

Grand Rapids has been on my radar! It's a bit of a drive for me, but not much further than Chicago and looks a great race. Thanks!