Running during hunting season (Read 907 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Anyone else forced change their running routes to lessen the risk of being shot or taking a stray bullet? I didn't last year, but I'm thinking that was probably not the wisest thing. The trickiest thing is finding routes for runs of more than 5-6 miles that keep me within village limits and away from hunting lands--especially if we have appreciable snow, which will make using the rail trail through town not particularly practical, since it's now plowed.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Once mid-November hits I wear my orange vest over my running clothes whenever I'm out in areas with hunting. Of course, where I run the concentration of hunters probably isn't as high as where you're running, Zoomy. I have forgotten my vest before and then I do adjust my route to stick to a main road.
        Barbara says her father was mad at her mother for giving birth durring hunting season!
        I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock

flatland mountaineer

I just usually avoid running on opening day of pheasant season. Shotguns, so not so worried about getting shot just general chaos and the yayhoo factor. Nothing against the true sportsmen hunters, have folks that hunt on our farm every year without a problem and respect our property and game laws but there is a segment of the population that I would just a soon never come near our property. I ran an 8 mile loop around our home farm the day after the season opened just to check on crop damages.grrrrr

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

xor

A woman hiker was shot up north of Seattle recently by a 14 year old boy hunter. It wasn't a stray shot or a ricochet. He took aim and nailed her. Dead. Thought she was a bear. And yes, she was wearing non-bear colors. And she wasn't all that big. I get really nervous on some of our trails this time of year.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A woman hiker was shot up north of Seattle recently by a 14 year old boy hunter. It wasn't a stray shot or a ricochet. He took aim and nailed her. Dead. Thought she was a bear. And yes, she was wearing non-bear colors. And she wasn't all that big. I get really nervous on some of our trails this time of year.
              Yeah...stories like that make me really apprehensive. I don't even have to run trails to see hunters all over the place...just our run-of-the-mill roads anytime I go more than a mile or two in most directions from my house. Don't get me wrong...I'm a fan of hunting and MOST hunters (and not fond of the ever growing numbers of deer my my immediate 'hood, thanks to the people who are illegally feeding them and encouraging greater numbers right here in town), but it only takes one jerk to turn an ecologically beneficial activity into a potentially deadly one.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

protoplasm72

One good thing about living in a big city is that I don't have to worry about hunting. I was down in southern Illinois last year and ran through a state park early in the morning not even thinking about the possibility of hunters. I wasn't dressed in any bright colors and I could hear gun shots going off all around me. I made pretty good time on that run. Cool

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

I was running through my usual trails the other week, and then just happened to notice the posted "WARNING - Private Hunt in Progress" signs. Definitely helped my pace per mile getting the hell out of there! Shocked

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Jill_B

I fly.

Anyone else forced change their running routes to lessen the risk of being shot or taking a stray bullet? I didn't last year, but I'm thinking that was probably not the wisest thing. The trickiest thing is finding routes for runs of more than 5-6 miles that keep me within village limits and away from hunting lands--especially if we have appreciable snow, which will make using the rail trail through town not particularly practical, since it's now plowed.
                    I do a lot of my runs on a bike path that has homes on either side (so no hunting), but every once in a while I like to run in a park. Since I don't know where people hunt around here, I sent out an email to my friends asking if anyone knew. So far no one knows where people hunt, so until further notice, I will only be running on the bike path or on my treadmill. I figure the chances of me being shot on my treadmill are pretty low.

Bring it on.

Imminent Catastrophe

I like to wear a suede jacket and antlers. It makes me faster.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

I like to wear a suede jacket and antlers. It makes me faster.
                        yeahbut. What happens when you run in the rain? Or does it not rain there?

Imminent Catastrophe

yeahbut. What happens when you run in the rain? Or does it not rain there?
                          It sure hasn't lately-we're in what they call "exceptional" drought status, they had to make that up because "extreme" wasn't bad enough. BTW my DS' family are big into deer hunting and to them hunting means sitting around in a deer blind with high-powered rifles and getting drunk. Surprised

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

Yeah, I have lots of Texas step family who hunt deer, dove, and quail. "sit in the blind and get drunk" seems to be a pretty common experience. If it does rain, don't wear the suede. And remember to bring in your cake. Oh, and it'll probably rain like hell on thanksgiving day. 'cause I'm coming 3000ish miles to run.

mb197314

You could always stick to the roads during hunting season and stay away from the trails. Less likely to get shot running down the road than through the woods.
                              mikeymike

There's only a couple places in my town with enough open space for hunting and one of them (the bigger of the two, and the one where I see empty trucks parked on the shoulder of the road during hunting season all the time) is near a national guard base and a public shooting range. So on a weekend you can hear gunshots over that part of town most of the year. Hunting season is one of those things I wouldn't even consider whilst running on the roads. I'm sure some runner somehwere has been shot by a hunter while on public roads but I would guess my odds of getting shot are somehwere between being struck by lightning on a clear day and getting attacked by killer bees, and still way less than my odds of getting hit by a car. Lots of unlikely things could happen. Usually they don't.

Runners run