Garmin 405 question (Read 587 times)

Will the heart rate monitor from a 305 work on the Garmin 405 (not the 405CX)?  I found the 405 for about $60 less than the 405CX and I already have an old HRM from a 305.

Yes

Unless you really like the look of the 405, be warned! The touch bezel can cause endless frustration due to its sensitivity. I have to keep mine locked during my runs, which means I basically can't access any of the features except the ones I put on my initial screen.

I'd recommend the 310XT.  I have both and I prefer the 310XT over the 405.  The bezel is an issue and the battery life sucks.  Yes, the HR monitor works on all.

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

Thanks everyone,

It's actually for my wife.  I have a 205.  She hates the way it looks, but she really likes that it beeps every mile.  I doubt she would use any of the features during the run and I don't even think she'll be able to read the screen.  So I think locking the bezel would be fine.  She probably will never download any data either. She just doesn't like the look of the 205.

Ill reply to agree with everyone else.  I know this because my wife usually runs right after me in the mornings.  She wears a 405 without a HRM, I wear a 305 with the HRM.  About the time I get to the front door her watch beeps at her that it has detected and linked with my HRM.

MTA: Just saw your last post Steve....we might as well be married to the same woman.  If a 205/305 could make you run twice as fast my wife wouldn't wear one.  She does, however,  like to know how far she has gone and her average pace, she got a 405 about 6 months ago and loves it.  It is still big and she has never uploaded a single run but I don't think she has run without it since she got it either.  The main display is set as Time, Pace, Distance, she locks the bezel and never changes a thing and is 100^% happy.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Loves the outdoors

You might want to consider the Garmin 110 then  review here http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/03/garmin-forerunner-110-first-look-review.html . Looks like it does everything she wants and is smaller than the 405.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

theyapper

On the road again...

I wondered about that bevel thing.  Looked like it could be pretty sensitive.  Can't you lock it and then set it to auto scroll through the different screens?  That's what I had planned on doing if I got the 405.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Imminent Catastrophe

I wondered about that bevel thing.  Looked like it could be pretty sensitive.  Can't you lock it and then set it to auto scroll through the different screens?  That's what I had planned on doing if I got the 405.

Yeah, you can do that. The bevel can be a pain if you don't lock it, but once set up, like anything else, it works as advertised. I'd say, once the run has started, lock it. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

joescott

Thanks everyone,

It's actually for my wife.  I have a 205.  She hates the way it looks, but she really likes that it beeps every mile.  I doubt she would use any of the features during the run and I don't even think she'll be able to read the screen.  So I think locking the bezel would be fine.  She probably will never download any data either. She just doesn't like the look of the 205.

Steve, check out the Forerunner 110 or 210.  Sounds like she will want simple.  These devices are very simple to use and have a pleasant form factor.

Good luck,

Joe 

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Just ordered her the 110.  Looks perfect.

Thanks,