Have you ever out run/out lived your running club? (Read 1048 times)

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Have you ever felt held back by your running group or partner? Have you every tried to gracefully ditch them and add some more miles to your run? Do you ask them if they want to join you for a few extra miles? Call them a bunch of wooseys and run like Hell? I need to do this on Saturday, and I'm up for some ideas.
    Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
    xor

"wooseys". I like this. It is my new preferred spelling. If it is a matter of distance, ask them/him/her if they want to go extra. If not, no harm no foul... run it on your own. If it is a matter of pacing, things get dicier, but still... match up your fast days with the faster folks' easy sessions, or match your easy sessions to slower folks' faster runs. And then do the others on your own. Anyway, running with a group is supposed to be beneficial... but it doesn't have to be every run. If you've outgrown them, do your 'social' running with them and do the rest without. Is ok.

Dave

Based on your avatar picture, is it possible that you've finally reached puberty and your running partners are still missing the hormonal boost that might let them keep up with you?

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

MrH

Why is there an issue? "My training plan calls for X miles at about Y pace on Saturday. Anyone want to join me?"

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm feeling that way right now. My regular running partner was injured a few months ago, and she just can't run very far. It's always been our tradition to run together and then get coffee (three times a week). It's hard for me to keep going when she needs to stop after 3 miles! I have to come up with a plan, though, because I'm losing fitness and gaining weight. On the other two days, I'm supposed to run with a newbie. I don't mind that, because it's easier to go farther once she stops. But she keeps cancelling on me at the last minute, which annoys the heck out of me. It's usually for a good reason, because she has little kids, but ack! I think I'm going to have to get selfish, I think, or my training for my HM in October will be in jeopardy. Sorry I'm not much help - tell us what you decide to do!

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

I have been through this. I started walking with a great group of women in 2004. Our weekly walks led to walking the Detroit Half Marathon in 2007. By then, I was running, but just a few times a week and only 2-3 miles at a time along with some 5Ks (on my own). The last few halfs (we've done four), we have been more spread out, because a couple of us started to run/walk and we've added some runners. Then, I joined a running group. Finally, I'm travelling to Nashville next week for the CMM with mostly runners and I'm planning to run the half. My walk group has been mostly supportive and I still walk with them every couple of weeks during the week. We resolved it by getting together for breakfast on Saturdays at 10:30. Runners run, walkers walk, we all end up in same place together. Everyone is happy.
              March: Irish Jig 5K (DONE), Kent City Ridge Run 5K (DONE) April: Iron Girl 5K (DONE), Kentucky Derby Half May: 5/3 (10K) July: Cherry Festival 15K August: Chicago Rock N Roll Half, Crim Festival of Races (10 miler) October: Grand Rapids Marathon (Half-Hometown Gig)
              DoppleBock

Have you ever felt held back by your running group or partner? Have you every tried to gracefully ditch them and add some more miles to your run? Do you ask them if they want to join you for a few extra miles? Call them a bunch of wooseys and run like Hell? I need to do this on Saturday, and I'm up for some ideas.
                Why not show up early and run the extra miles before? I am generally a loner as I want to train the speed and distance I want to train - I show up occassionally for group runs when I want some social interaction.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Have you ever felt held back by your running group or partner?
                  Yeah, and thankful for it. I suck at recovery runs, I just gradually pick up the pace and defeat the purpose. The solution? On Thursday nights I have my big bunny buddy Billy. The Shamrock Running Club does a Thursday night pizza and beer run, and Bill is my recovery pace bunny. We lope along way behind the pack, and by the time we finish the first round of beers is usually on the table. Like DoppleBock suggested, we usually also show up early and get in a three mile warmup to bring the evening's total to eight.

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

So this morning I ran 3 miles by myself, and then another 3 miles with my friend. I wondered how I would feel with a break in the morning, but it went quite well! She noticed that I was running faster than usual with her. I guess the warm-up helped. It didn't seem like 6 miles total.

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Thanks everyone. I paid about $100 to join this group and train for the marathon. I expected to get more training advice that would lead to improving my running but it didn't happen that way. In essence I'm paying for running friends. Pretty pathetic. My advice to anyone thinking of joining a group, get a clear idea of the training plan and the goals of the other runners before breaking out your checkbook. Oh, I'm heading out the door early to catch some extra miles.
                      "wooseys". I like this. It is my new preferred spelling..
                      I think Wooseys is how it sounds when you are running away from the offending wuss. I don't believe I would every call someone a wuss or a woose without an escape plan. Which makes me an even bigger wuss.
                      bap

Our 4 mile Tuesday night runs are run at the pace of the slowest runner. Normally we do about 11:00-11:30 per mile. Our group includes sub 20:00 5K runners. My easy pace is 9:00 to 9:45 per mile. No-one has a problem running that slow. Faster runners may tack 3 or 4 miles on prior to or after the group run. Our coach believes that the ability to run slowly is important, as it teaches us pace discipline. Aimster, I'd like to know your marathon target.

Certified Running Coach
                        Crocked since 2013

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Our 4 mile Tuesday night runs are run at the pace of the slowest runner. Normally we do about 11:00-11:30 per mile. Our group includes sub 20:00 5K runners. My easy pace is 9:00 to 9:45 per mile. No-one has a problem running that slow. Faster runners may tack 3 or 4 miles on prior to or after the group run. Our coach believes that the ability to run slowly is important, as it teaches us pace discipline. Aimster, I'd like to know your marathon target.
                          I was hoping for 4 hours. I have not been able to get as much mileage in as I had hoped and I took two weeks off to recover from a nasty upper resp. infection. So now, I'm just going with the goal of finishing in the up right position. My previous marathon was 4:11. I know there will be other races.
                          DoppleBock

Thanks everyone. I paid about $100 to join this group and train for the marathon. I expected to get more training advice that would lead to improving my running but it didn't happen that way. In essence I'm paying for running friends. Pretty pathetic. My advice to anyone thinking of joining a group, get a clear idea of the training plan and the goals of the other runners before breaking out your checkbook. Oh, I'm heading out the door early to catch some extra miles. I think Wooseys is how it sounds when you are running away from the offending wuss. I don't believe I would every call someone a wuss or a woose without an escape plan. Which makes me an even bigger wuss.
                            Interesting - My sister lives real close to you and joined a club and gets lots of free advice - Coach even makes up schedules - She really enjoys it. I am not sure what the name of her club is, but when I visit her - I only have to run a mile or so to see a sign for San Diego. Maybe a mile or so from Lake Murray. A bit further from Cowles Mountain.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

bap

I was hoping for 4 hours. I have not been able to get as much mileage in as I had hoped and I took two weeks off to recover from a nasty upper resp. infection. So now, I'm just going with the goal of finishing in the up right position. My previous marathon was 4:11. I know there will be other races.
                              So 9:45-10:30/mile is your optimal easy pace.

Certified Running Coach
                              Crocked since 2013

Mitch & Pete's Mom

So 9:45-10:30/mile is your optimal easy pace.
                                I'd say most of my long runs have been in the neighborhood of 9:30 -10:00/mile. I did run nice and slow this weekend with a member of the team, she is recovering from a hamstring problem, plus it rained. I believe my Garmin had us at a 9:50 average. I've been concentrating on time on my feet and not worrying about pace.