Run with the Cougar, aka Hoffmaster Trail Race, aka .90 mile less than advertised, but it's all good... (Read 883 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

zoomy, heather73, hopeful4ever post-race As of 10AM (well, 10:05, but who's counting...?) I am no longer a trail virgin--woot! This race was named thusly after several reliable sources had spotted a cougar/mountain lion/puma within the park bounds and near the park a few years back. Mountain Lions aren't common in lower Michigan, but they aren't non-existent, either. So this was a race where it was good to be a mid-packer--or at least not first or last. Wink No big kitties spotted, but at least 100 runners showed up for this race that very nearly went extinct. Hopefully today's run removes it from the endangered species/threatened list. It was super fun! At one time the race had been a full 10k, but a particularly brutal stretch with ravines on either side of the trail, slippery wood steps (especially with all of the wet leaves this time of the year), and tons of roots obscured by heavy leaf cover had organizers cut it down to 5.2 miles (last time they ran it as a full 10k a woman broke her ankle), which is what it was billed as. I wouldn't mind the full distance, since risks are part of the game and why we sign the release...but, whatever. In actuality today's course was 4.3 miles. Had I known this going in I would have pushed myself harder, particularly on the 1.25 miles of beach approaching the finish. But I thought I had almost an additional mile remaining after running up the dune off the beach, so I took it too easy. A guy at the top of the steps off of the beach said "hey, finish strong...you're almost there--the finish is just over that rise." I was thinking "yeah, sure...I bet you say that to all the girls." But he wasn't kidding. It was literally like 1/10 of a mile after exiting the beach. I was kinda annoyed, but it was a fun race and next year I will have a better idea of what to expect, assuming they keep the course as-is. That beach section was pretty boring, really. But it was very scenic and dramatic coming down the dune onto the beach. Lake MI looks very moody on a windy Nov. day. Gray sky contrasted with whitecaps. One had the choice of running on loose sand (difficult, but feet stay dry) or packed, wet sand at the shore (easier, but risk of getting nailed by a wave). I chose the waterline option. I did get doused good at least 3x, but it was part of the fun. My Gore-Tex trail shoes are excellent on loose sand, leaves, and muddy stuff on the trails, but once those waves went over my feet they still got wet. Not too cold, though. I still posted a better pace than I had anticipated (still waiting on official results). Heather73 and I ran the trails last weekend at an easy pace of about 13mm. I figured 11:30 would be a reasonable race pace, but my actual pace was closer to 11:10, even holding back a bit. This race definitely attracts a fast crowd, though. Heather and I brought up the rear of our 35-39AG, 11 and 10, respectively...out of 11 (at least when she checked the results board). During most road races I finish almost exactly middle for AG and overall field (unless I have a major crash-and-burn race). An added bonus...the husband and wife who will be joining Heather73, PoQ, backroadrunner and I for our trail relay this coming June were there. That was a pleasant surprise. And Mary/hopeful4ever ended up deciding to do the race at the last minute, too. We compared our new marathon tattoos. Big grin So...to make a long story short--I am completely and utterly hooked on this trail running thing. And tonite's post-race celebratin' will include Heather and I enjoying beer and bluegrass while wearing our race Ts! Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

what she said ... Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin It was a blast Wink Now onto a nap, then Beer, Burgers and Bluegrass in that order. Today is a GOOD day!
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

... then Beer, Burgers and Bluegrass in that order.
        You forgot some steps...beer, burgers, beer, bluegrass, beer... Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

My dogs are fast, not me

Sounds great! I'm looking forward to my club's winter trail series this starting in January. It's never about the time, but finishing in one piece!

Robin

So...to make a long story short--I am completely and utterly hooked on this trail running thing. And tonite's post-race celebratin' will include Heather and I enjoying beer and bluegrass while wearing our race Ts! Smile
            Excellent! Next thing you know you'll be hosting a fat ass event this winter.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

You forgot some steps...beer, burgers, beer, bluegrass, beer... Big grin
              damn I thought I had it right, but I like yours better! Big grin
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Excellent! Next thing you know you'll be hosting a fat ass event this winter.
                That would be REALLY fun! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Think Whirled Peas

Congrats! Hey. Word on the street says there's 'nother trail race in North Muskegon in Feb...might wanna try it. Wink Bring snow shoes.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Dave

Have we seen that tatoo yet?

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Congrats! Hey. Word on the street says there's 'nother trail race in North Muskegon in Feb...might wanna try it. Wink Bring snow shoes.
                      Story around here is it is much more fun to do it winter trail races without snow shoes?!!! Tongue
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Have we seen that tatoo yet?
                        For some reason my card reader doesn't like my card after it's been read on did's 'puter. So I need to have him take a pic to post. It's only half done--still needs the color. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Story around here is it is much more fun to do it winter trail races without snow shoes?!!! Tongue
                          Rumor has it... Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

zoom, sending you the pic so you can post it. check your email in a sec.
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*tapping foot* *looking at watch*

~ Sarah Kay

yeah I know, I'm slow. Can I blame it on the beer? I had many tonight Big grin