2012 Goal of Sub 4:00 Marathon (Read 4210 times)

Turbolegs

Just completed the CIM last weekend after following the 18/55 plan.  Thought the plan was great and got me to a 3:51 finish.  Last year finished in 4:13.  Besides following the training plan, I did 30 minutes of core training 3x a week, and leg strengthening 2x a week.  All of that combined helped me this year.  I felt strong, my endurance level was way up this year, and my recovery after long runs was quick. 

I am looking to restart the core strength exercises that pfitz has in his book (Advanced Marathoning) - used to have a lower back niggle that would be just a tad uncomfortable at times but seems to be doing ok so far. Since my goal marathon is mid next year, i am planning to use Tokyo marathon in feb, as a "quick and dirty" assessment of where i stand after a couple of months of training. Will then put in (or hope to) a solid effort until July.  I ran both the races this year, Tokyo in 4:26:57 and Gold Coast in 4:26:45. If you take a look at my log, you will know that i didnt bring it home in the last 4 weeks of training before the race - i hope to fix that as well. I did no long runs before running GC so that was horrible from a training standpoint.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Maniac

Wow ... you are nearly there man ... you need just 5 minutes of your PR to crack this wide open !! Looks like you are going to be the first one here to be put to the test .. all the best !!

Thanks for the well-wishes.  I'll be back with a report after the race, of course.  Right now, I'm just looking forward to a taper.

20-miler on tap this weekend.  Always fun.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

unlikelyrunner

I'm hoping to go sub-4 at the Colorado Marathon in Fort Collins, CO on May 6, 2012. I ran Chicago in 2009 and then basically stopped running. I've been running fairly consistently this year and did a 1/2 in 1:59Tight lippedx beginning at 10K feet in Colorado earlier this year so I'm hopeful for sub-4 next year. 

Turbolegs

Azredbirds .. one month countdown has begun man !! Think this should be the last week or two of your long runs if that. How are things falling in place for the Jan 15th effort?

Jan 8, 2012.  Walt Disney World Marathon.  PR'd here last year on second day of Goofy---so hoping a "single" can get me sub 3:50.

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

Still deciding on a Spring race  ...

Probably the LaCrosse Fitness Festival (Wisconsin - hometown).  My PR is a 4:05 in Green Bay.  Did LaCrosse last year in 4:10 (windy, cold, nasty day).   

Need to drop some lbs and would like to work core strength training in to my program.  To do sub-4hr will be a big stretch, but gotta try.   

Tim 

Turbolegs

Jan 8, 2012.  Walt Disney World Marathon.  PR'd here last year on second day of Goofy---so hoping a "single" can get me sub 3:50.

Rozzie .. all the best ..very likely that you are gonna be the first from the bunch to give it a go .. a PR to start the year would be a very nice way to get off the blocks !! Hope we can see a race report too ...

Turbolegs

Still deciding on a Spring race  ...

Probably the LaCrosse Fitness Festival (Wisconsin - hometown).  My PR is a 4:05 in Green Bay.  Did LaCrosse last year in 4:10 (windy, cold, nasty day).   

Need to drop some lbs and would like to work core strength training in to my program.  To do sub-4hr will be a big stretch, but gotta try.   

4:05 is just outside the door .. just need to reach out and push in a bit to make it through .. all the best !!! I guess the weight loss will come with getting into your training .. i am shooting for dropping a couple of kgs too before my shot at the sub-4. See if you want to make your log public .. people training hard is always a source of great motivation. Smile

I will be giving sub 4:00 another shot this year, first attempt will be NJ Marathon on May 6th.  Will also be running NYC this year in November, hopefully I can pull it off in May though. 

Turbolegs

I will be giving sub 4:00 another shot this year, first attempt will be NJ Marathon on May 6th.  Will also be running NYC this year in November, hopefully I can pull it off in May though. 

Man - you are almost like my running twin !!! We have pretty much the same PRs at the Half and Full, and our lifetime mileages are comparable as well. Lets get that sub 4 beast in 2012 !! Smile

May 6th seems to be a popular date for Marathons in the US .. still early days, and we already have 3 runners at 3 different marathons.

I'm in. I've done 7 marathons and an ultra with a PR of about 4:12. I'm aiming to break 4 hours at the Christchurch marathon on June 3.
                        Turbolegs

I'm in. I've done 7 marathons and an ultra with a PR of about 4:12. I'm aiming to break 4 hours at the Christchurch marathon on June 3.

Hi Andrew - Welcome to the group !!From what i hear, Christchurch seems to be a fantastic race to go for a PR and with 6 months to go, looks like you are going to be able to get some solid training. Wandered over to your blog and had a look at the FIRST spreadsheet that your friend had made - quite an effort, do convey my thanks to him. Are you planning to use the same plan for your training?

Trivia: Last year's CC marathon winner is somebody i know of from here in Singapore (Mok Ying Ren) - he blitzed to a 2:26 finish chopping something like 12 minutes of his PR set just a few months before. And a month later, he ran Gold Coast in 2:27.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Sign me up.

I also signed for the 3:30, but a good friend let me know I'd more likely DNF -- as this is my first marathon.

Good move.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Dear Mr Legs

I guess I am in too, though it will likely take me all year to get there:

Goal Race: Dallas White Rock - 2 Dec 2012 - TX, USA

I'm 35 & have been running for 4 years. Mainly Half Mary's but I just completed my first full 3 weeks ago.

I got round in 4:20. I think I can do better because it was cold, windy & raining the whole time + I ran the race a little too easy (it being my first and not knowing what to expect) - Mile 26 was my fastest split! Blush

To break 4:00 I likely need to lose at least 10 pounds, call it 15 after this holiday season! In the first half of the year I'm also looking to knock off a few of the markers folks have called out in similar threads in the past; sub 1:50 HM (Current PR 1:52) and sub 49 min 10k. If the first half of the year goes to plan then I should be able to put the work in over the second half of the year to give the 4:00 barrier a scare. If not; I'll be back to this thread with a vengeance in 2013! Smile

Cheers

2017 Goals
                              1) Run more than 231 miles
                              2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

I had high hopes of a sub 4 last year (St. Jude's marathon - Memphis, 12/3) but a severely herniated disc cancelled that attempt. My PR is 4.52 but all my training was on track for a 4.04 time. Add me to the list and I hope to attempt it at the Salmon marathon in Idaho on September 8. Good luck to all.