2012 Goal of Sub 4:00 Marathon (Read 4210 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Oh, congrats, Wing.  Great job.   Looks like you're easily in striking distance of a sub-4 later in the year.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

fake it till you make it

I finished! 4:07:43. Although I didn't make sub-4 I'm still very happy about my first marathon time. Report to follow...

Excellent! Can't wait to hear your race report from your first marathon- hope you enjoyed it!

Great job Wing! Really happy for you.

On a personal note (the abridged version), this month 14 years ago I was diagnosed with RA (and I don't mean RunningAhead Joking ).

Today I ran a ho-hum 13.1 training run with my brother-in-law as easy as a stroll in the park with absolutely no pain in any joint.

Considering what the past 14 years (and the rest of my life for that matter) could have been, I am so thankful for my health.

Wing

Joggaholic

On a personal note (the abridged version), this month 14 years ago I was diagnosed with RA (and I don't mean RunningAhead Joking ).

Today I ran a ho-hum 13.1 training run with my brother-in-law as easy as a stroll in the park with absolutely no pain in any joint.

Considering what the past 14 years (and the rest of my life for that matter) could have been, I am so thankful for my health.

Good for you awaldvogel ! I don't think 13.1 is ever easy Smile

My race report is posted over here:

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/870b0fc956444b93a614d5eaed93540c#focus

fake it till you make it

That's fantastic!  My sister was diagnosed with RA about 20 years ago.  She had been marathoning many years, and the first docs to diagnose her told her no more running.  New docs, new meds, and decades later she's still running strong.  Good for you!!! And, I love when those distances that used to intimidate me are ho-hum easy runs now.

Angolajones

Is it too late to sign up?  If not, I'm in for my first marathon in October.  The Mount Desert Island in Maine.  First one so I hope I haven't chosen one that is too hard. 

Jonesy

Indy Mini in May

Warrior Dash in August

MDI in October

I'm in.....

My leg cramped up in Niagara Falls and I ended up with a disappoinging 4H 43 min.

My goal for May is 4H 10min and then in the fall break the 4H barrier.

Turbolegs

Hi Angolajones .. welcome to the group .. and its never too late to be part of this thread (unless it Dec 31st 2012, and the day is coming to an end .. Smile ). All the best for your marathon in Oct.

Morrows .. welcome to you too .. do you have any specific target marathon in mind?

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Plan is the Ottawa Marathon in May and perhaps the Wine Glass Marathon (Bath, NY)in the fall

Turbolegs

Am running the Tokyo Marathon on Sunday and despite having run this course last year, and doing relatively ok as far as training was concerned, i find myself unsure of a race day plan. This is usually the case for most of my races, and then once at the start line, i just go with the flow and do what comes naturally on that day.

Since this is not my goal marathon, i was thinking of doing one of two things. After warming up through the first couple of kms, hold a steady 5:40/km for as long as i can (thats the 4hr marathon pace) and see how long i last so that it gives me a benchmark to plan my training towards my goal marathon in July/August. The other thing is to actually to set something like a 4:10-4:12 finish time as target (about 6min/km pace) and work towards that, so as to lower my current PB (4:26) and get the confidence of getting closer to the 4hr marathon.

Its entirely possible that i start out doing the first option and end up achieving the 2nd objective or might just blow up altogether.

Hope i get some magical inspiration on Sunday that tells me exactly what i should be doing. Failing which, i just plan on having loads of fun through 42kms of Tokyo. Smile

Christirei

I was born in Kyoto and my dad took me to Tokyo when I was in high school to see where I lived when I was a baby. It is such an amazing city. I hope you have a great experience and a great race!

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Good luck and have fun Turbo!

steph  

fake it till you make it

Its entirely possible that i start out doing the first option and end up achieving the 2nd objective or might just blow up altogether.

Hope i get some magical inspiration on Sunday that tells me exactly what i should be doing. Failing which, i just plan on having loads of fun through 42kms of Tokyo. Smile

Sounds just like my racing plans. Smile  I recently did a half where I went out fast and just saw how long I could hang on.  Being that I held on longer than I thought, it was a good mental boost, but I'm not sure I'd want to do that in a full-- if things start to go bad, its a long way to slog to the finish.  Could you go out at a easier pace and then pick it up to that faster pace after you've ticked off a few more kilometers?

Looking forward to a race report!

Turbolegs

Thanks Guys ... packing for this trip is probably more difficult than running the marathon i think. Smile Or nearly there ....

Christrei ... my work takes me to Tokyo so this is my fourth trip there in four months albeit the other three were work related. I just love the Japanese culture, the people and the sake .. and thats kinda the reason why i do this trip even though its kinda extravagant to fly all the way to Tokyo from Singapore just for the weekend (Fri-Mon actually) to run the race. Also this could possibly be Gebreselassie's shot at Olympic qualifications and i was kidding with my friend that if he does complete the race, i will look to go under twice his finish time. Smile

Ok .. back to packing now. Smile

Turbolegs

Think you guys might enjoy reading Brett's blog ... i will link two very pertinent posts here ..

2012 Tokyo Marathon Preview

Watching Japanese Race broadcasts online

Might be inconvenient for you guys in the US but if you are up between 11pm and 1am on a Saturday night ......