2012 Goal of Sub 4:00 Marathon (Read 4210 times)

Turbolegs

WOW.  3:32 is a phenomenal race.  Excellent race report.  Congratulations on a great race!

+1.

Dude .. that was just incredible ! To run like that and to write like that both!

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Slice

3:32:11: Long winded race report.

That's fantastic! Congrats!

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Congratulations Stadjak!  Very well done!

steph  

Congratulations! Your race report is inspiring. I too am expecting to learn some things about myself in my first marathon.

Wing

Joggaholic

Congratz Stadjak!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Great report.  I don't think you need to be second guessing yourself on whether your race strategy was ideal.  Who knows, maybe going with a different pace group would have helped, but maybe it wouldn't.  It's a great accomplishment as is, and consider how your goals evolved through the year.  Wow.

>> Stadjak's 2012 Goals: First Marathon • sub 4:00sub 3:45 • sub 3:30

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

OMG!  I didn't make the connection that that was you.  I thought you said you were looking for someone named, "Steph".  Now, I feel rude for not chatting.  Disapprove  Glad you had a good race, though!  Congrats!

ETA:  And, thanks for taking 5 years off my age!  Wink

Julia 1971: Very impressive HM 1:34:16. RA predictor has you at 3:19: x x for the full. PS: She ran 18 miles the next day at a 9:15 pace.Cool

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Been pretty quiet here for the last few days.

Christirei - looks like you are up next.  How's the training going? I guess you're about to start your taper?

Turnbaugh

After reading the threads (excellent read), I should probably throw my hat in the ring! I'm 34, been running regularly for the last 1 1/2 years and off-and-on the previous three years. I finished my first marathon, the Paris Marathon, at 4:13.  I spent last summer adding some speed to my training, and got my half-marathon time from 1:55:30 down to 1:45:40. Now it's time to take another shot at the full 26.2!

I'm signed up for the Marine Corps Marathon on Oct. 28, and I'm gunning for a sub-4:00.  I will probably take another crack at a half-marathon PR in May, then shift the focus to the MCM.  I wish everyone the best of luck in breaking the 4:00 barrier!

Turbolegs

After reading the threads (excellent read), I should probably throw my hat in the ring! I'm 34, been running regularly for the last 1 1/2 years and off-and-on the previous three years. I finished my first marathon, the Paris Marathon, at 4:13.  I spent last summer adding some speed to my training, and got my half-marathon time from 1:55:30 down to 1:45:40. Now it's time to take another shot at the full 26.2!

I'm signed up for the Marine Corps Marathon on Oct. 28, and I'm gunning for a sub-4:00.  I will probably take another crack at a half-marathon PR in May, then shift the focus to the MCM.  I wish everyone the best of luck in breaking the 4:00 barrier!

Your hat has been received in the ring ! Welcome to the group and all the best for your efforts! It must be exciting to have a long training window in front of you before your next marathon. It sure is for me - After my most recent marathon in the end of Feb, i am looking at running a (as yet unknown) marathon towards the end of this year - and am very eager to see where a few months of solid training can get me. 

I expect more additions to this list for the MCM, so you might just have some RA friends to run with on the day. Smile

Turbolegs

Been pretty quiet here for the last few days.

Christirei - looks like you are up next.  How's the training going? I guess you're about to start your taper?

Yep .. my thoughts too .. Christirei ??????

With 4.5 weeks to go I am getting pretty excited.

I'm not sure if it is excitement for the race, or rather that I won't be running 50+ mile weeks after the race Joking.

This past weekend I ran what I think was the "biggest" (though not the longest) workout of the Pfitzinger 18/55 plan.

18 miles with 14 miles at goal marathon pace. Some people seem to recommend against such a hard workout, but since I am following the plan, I am trying to trust it.  It went really well (except for one of the roads being blocked and having to cut through woods/thornbushes Dead) and I seem to have recovered from it fairly well.  I'll find out for sure on today's 11 miler.

Happy training everyone.

Hi All! Just found this thread and wanted to be accountable to some people!  Smile  I have registered for my first marathon, the Go St Louis Marathon, April 15th. My goal is 3:45 and I have my first 18 miler this weekend! It's been fun to go back through the thread and read everyone's comments and encouragement!

I'm in for Go St Louis too. Still not decided on a goal time just yet - somewhere between 3:30 and 3:40 hopefully!

Christirei

Hey Everyone!! Stadjak's race report was so timely for me! thanks so much for posting it, really helped to clarify in my mind that I CAN NOT start out to fast!  I have done a couple of marathon pace long runs and they have gone better than expected, so I have been tempted to try a slightly faster pace, but I think that I am going to hold back and if I feel great I'll kick up at the last 10K.

Training through March has been really rough for me. I had bronchitis to start out the month and that set me back, got back on my feet and did a 22 mile run that was horrible, just really hard to recover from and it was discouraging. I think I peaked at the end of February, maybe I should have picked a 12 week plan instead of a 16 week plan. I have two weeks until marathon day and I am just going to taper slowly. My husband is traveling this week, so I have run on my treadmill this week anyway, and will do a short 10 or 12 miles this weekend. Looking forward to the race but nervous!

I can already feel myself running this race and wanting to immediately do another one! I know i'm going to learn so much!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Hey Everyone!! Stadjak's race report was so timely for me! thanks so much for posting it, really helped to clarify in my mind that I CAN NOT start out to fast!  I have done a couple of marathon pace long runs and they have gone better than expected, so I have been tempted to try a slightly faster pace, but I think that I am going to hold back and if I feel great I'll kick up at the last 10K.

I'm really happy to hear you found the report a benefit.  Yes, if I were to do it again, I'd probably stick closer to my MP-goal and try to kick the last 6mi.  I'm sure you'll do great.  Best of luck!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do