Problem charging shuffle (Read 725 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Can anyone offer any useful advice? I have trouble charging my Ipod shuffle 1Gb. Shows fully charged (constant green) when I know it isn't. Sometimes just won't take any charge at all. Should I just return the damn thing? Or is there something I'm overlooking?

How old is it?
      Purdey

Self anointed title

Been used twice. 3 weeks old.

Dave

Green only means more than 30% charged but it sounds like something more serious. Leave it on overnight. If it doesn't take a solid charge, I'd swap it out at the store.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Purdey

Self anointed title

Tried that. Guess I've got to send it back - second one this has happened to. Angry

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I hope you can still get one of the 2nd gen. ones for a while longer. Everything I read about that new one makes me Roll eyes

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Purdey

Self anointed title

Agreed. I'm probably going to have buy another 2nd gen - might buy two for good measure. What is the deal with putting the controls on the crap Apple headphones?! If it ain't broke, don't fix it guys!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

AND it sounds like Apple has put some sort of DRM chip in the headphones...WTF?! I've read several articles that claim that the newest shuffle is designed specifically for active people. Hello, did they actually ASK any runners for advice when developing that thing? I'm thinking no. #1, I know very few people who can wear the Apple headphones comfortably--they hurt and/or fall out. #2, I'm sure those suckers would die in a rain storm or heavy sweating--my Sennheiser sport ones do not...AND are cheap to replace. #3, how is putting one's hand up at chin level to perform random clicks on the cord supposed to be easier than pressing on the little ring at waist or wrist level or any other place one clips it where it can be visible to one's eyes? In the Winter with gloves I can't imagine using the controls. Plus, is sub-zero air going to cause the controls to seize-up, since they are just dangling in air and cannot be kept under clothing and warm?

~ Sarah Kay

Purdey

Self anointed title

Grumpy old man and grumpy old woman appear to agree.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Grumpy old man and grumpy old woman appear to agree.
                      Big grin I really think Apple shot themselves in the foot with this thing. Never before has a new iPod been announced that didn't have me all...ooohhh...the precious! Even for models that really are beyond my needs. I'll be interested to see if Apple reverts back to something more like the little matchbook device that I love. It was perfect just as it is.

~ Sarah Kay

Dave

Big grin I really think Apple shot themselves in the foot with this thing. Never before has a new iPod been announced that didn't have me all...ooohhh...the precious! Even for models that really are beyond my needs. I'll be interested to see if Apple reverts back to something more like the little matchbook device that I love. It was perfect just as it is.
                        I'm with you Zoomie but I don't think its quite as bad as you're saying. - First they're still going to sell the 1GB current generation shuffle. At least for now. My guess is they'll get so much negative feedback that they'll not want to stop the current model. Maybe they'll even cut the price a bit. - Second, it appears there will be a small adapter for the new one that adds the controls and allows you to use any headset with it. Sort of defeats the purpose of making it so small (adding more bulk) but it would give you the multiple playlists and 4GB of storage. If I'm not mistaken, some of the Sansa models will sync with Itunes on a Mac. Might be worth switching next time. MTA: I'm not grumpy old man am I?

dgb2n@yahoo.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm with you Zoomie but I don't think its quite as bad as you're saying. - First they're still going to sell the 1GB current generation shuffle. At least for now. My guess is they'll get so much negative feedback that they'll not want to stop the current model. Maybe they'll even cut the price a bit. - Second, it appears there will be a small adapter for the new one that adds the controls and allows you to use any headset with it. Sort of defeats the purpose of making it so small (adding more bulk) but it would give you the multiple playlists and 4GB of storage. If I'm not mistaken, some of the Sansa models will sync with Itunes on a Mac. Might be worth switching next time. MTA: I'm not grumpy old man am I?
                          Nah, not you. Wink Are they still selling the current Shuffle just until stock is gone? They aren't still making them...or are they? Hmm... Yeah, an adapter would be fine...except talk is that they will be $20. So the iPod ends up costing $100 if one wants to use existing headphones. And it still makes for a cumbersome set-up, compared to a small, simple, relatively inexpensive one. I will keep that Sansa one in mind, should something happen to my happy little red 1gig baby.

~ Sarah Kay

Menace to Sobriety

I have no experience with Ipods, but some with batteries. Before you send it back, leave it on overnight, or however long it takes to drain it down completely. Then try to charge it.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Dave

Are they still selling the current Shuffle just until stock is gone? They aren't still making them...or are they? Hmm...
                              I'm pretty sure I read that they're still making them but I can't find anything that confirms this. As far as the Sansa Clip, I probably spoke too soon. It sounds pretty kludgy. Probably better to stick with the Shuffle on the mac. http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&thread.id=3744&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

dgb2n@yahoo.com

mikeymike

Yeah batteries seem kind of mysterious to me. Last week my phone (moto q9c) was not holding a charge. I tried charging it and draining it a couple times and it still would only hold a charge for a few hours. I figured, 'eh, it's over a year old maybe the battery is just done' so I went online and ordered a new battery and figured I'd try the extra long lasting battery this time so I had to also order a new door for my Q. The new battery should show up sometime later this week. So then I charged it Friday night and it's held a charge since then. Used it all weekend and it's still showing full power.

Runners run