Twin Cities Shirt -- I Have To Ask (Read 1523 times)

Not dislike. I just meant that I generally don't wear race tees; nada mas. 

Not picking at you, but I've always found this view kind of curious.  I figure I paid for the shirt, it's technical fabric, and it's designed for running.  If it fits me OK and it works, I'll wear it.    Kind of like stopping to stretch on the sidewalk: I already look goofy enough to the general non-running population that my shirt isn't making much difference. In fact, the NASCAR-like back of the shirt actually makes me look cool here in North Carolina!

In this particular case, it's a Brooks Podium shirt.  I liked it so much I bought two more of them (on sale, too!) from a LRS.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Guys, ok. I'm not sure it's at the level of a "view."  A habit, perhaps. It's just a shirt. And if it's technical, yes I may take it out for a jog.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Guys, ok. I'm not sure it's at the level of a "view."  A habit, perhaps. It's just a shirt. And if it's technical, yes I may take it out for a jog.  

I am the same. In fact, most of my race shirts go straight to Salvation Army, with the exception being a nice techical shirt I am comfortable running in. But I have even sent some technical shirts away when the print design is "a bit much" for my taste.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But I have even sent some technical shirts away when the print design is "a bit much" for my taste.

I have 3 tech shirts that have these massive, rubbery graphics that cover most of the front and/or back of the shirt...they totally eliminate any wicking potential these shirts had.  Shame, since the graphics are kinda fun on the 3 shirts, but they should have come up with a way to make them a bit less solid.  Makes me wonder if actual runners were the ones to sign-off on the designs.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What would be great is if RDs would give runners nice technical shirts with only a subtle design on them, and a high-quality cotton shirt to carry the big crazy race graphics.  Heck, it would be even better if the cotton shirt had a graphic on it that was just plain cool rather than an ad for the race itself.

That would be great.

What would be great is if RDs would give runners nice technical shirts with only a subtle design on them, and a high-quality cotton shirt to carry the big crazy race graphics.  Heck, it would be even better if the cotton shirt had a graphic on it that was just plain cool rather than an ad for the race itself.

That would be great.

That would be great. It would be even better if the RD put everyone's name on their shirt, too. Maybe that's asking too much though.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That would be great. It would be even better if the RD put everyone's name on their shirt, too. Maybe that's asking too much though.

Don't get greedy.  Next thing you know, you'll expect your name on your bib too.

MrH

It would be even better if the RD put everyone's name on their shirt, too. Maybe that's asking too much though.

For the New York Marathon the print would have to be very small to fit all 40,000 names, unless everyone went with XXXXXXXXXL sizing.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

I have 3 tech shirts that have these massive, rubbery graphics that cover most of the front and/or back of the shirt...they totally eliminate any wicking potential these shirts had.  Shame, since the graphics are kinda fun on the 3 shirts, but they should have come up with a way to make them a bit less solid.  Makes me wonder if actual runners were the ones to sign-off on the designs.

I would be willing to bet that the people who are designing most race shirts are not runners. There is definitely a way to print on wicking fabric so it still lends itself to wicking performance. Guessing this type of print is more expensive, and a big reason why some races wouldn't use it. This is one of my favorite race shirts. It's on a Brooks technical long sleeve, and the print is small, simple, and doesn't effect the wearability of the short for running at all.

keeponrunning

Looks fine to me...then again, I'm not generally a fashionista. so you may not want to base anything on my opinion.

I definitely agree with wannabe and mamaofthree.  Most race shirts are WAYYYY to big.  Actually, I only have 2 that I can wear without looking really strange.   This is from someone who doesn't mind loose clothing to begin with...but loose is one thing, being a nightgown is another.  Like wannabe and mamaofthree, I'm not that tiny.  I'm 5'7.5" with a medium-large build.  

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My experience with women's shirts is that they are totally unpredictable.  At least the unisex/men's shirts are typically true to size.  But the wimmins shirts are often too small ("form fitting") or too big.  So RDs offering women's sizes are gonna get into trouble for not having shirts that are true to size.  You can't win for losing.

Oh roo roooo!

My experience with women's shirts is that they are totally unpredictable.  At least the unisex/men's shirts are typically true to size.  But the wimmins shirts are often too small ("form fitting") or too big.  So RDs offering women's sizes are gonna get into trouble for not having shirts that are true to size.  You can't win for losing.

This is pretty much my experience also.  The few races I have run that offered a "women's" sizing option for the shirts ended up being even worse.   Maybe we need a sizing system for shirts akin to men's pants sizing--you know, instead of waist and inseam lengths we could have chest, hip and sleeve length (for long sleeved shirts) measurements?  THEN we are comparing apples to apples, and none of this vanity sizing crap!  ("I still wear a size 4 even tho I now weigh 243 lbs...")

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My experience with women's shirts is anti-vanity sizing.  The shirts I have used at my race ran, er, form fitting.  That is, if you were a size 0 runnerly girl, the medium may still be too small.

Oh roo roooo!

My experience with women's shirts is anti-vanity sizing.  The shirts I have used at my race ran, er, form fitting.  That is, if you were a size 0 runnerly girl, the medium may still be too small.

Yep, had this situation at the 2009 Madison Marathon.  I got a medium and it was absolutely unwearable, it was so tight.  PLUS it had one of those huge plastic nonbreathable designs on the front that others have mentioned....

Jill_B

I fly.

The Atlantic City Marathon people got womens & mens shirts and I have to say they were the truest to size that I've gotten in a race.  I was given a women's small and it fits me almost perfectly.  It's just a little too long, but I'm short, so that is to be expected.

I'm considering buying another one because I like it so much.  The only problem I have with the shirt is everyone got the same shirt and I only ran the 1/2.  I feel weird wearing a marathon shirt that I didn't run.

Bring it on.