unsportsmanlike conduct in cross country (Read 532 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I went to high school in Europe and ran cross country and would like to point out that you forgot to mention sheep, cow and horse shit.

And that's just driving the roads.

steph  

Feeling the growl again

we have more lawyers.

Well, we also don't have European style in terms of intentional obstacles and water crossings.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

MrH

A question from the other side of the pond.  Looking at the times are these "proper" XC races with ditches, steep slopes, lots of mud and water etc or just a race around a grassy park?

The times I listed are seasons bests so likely will have been run on the equivalent of a flat golf course fairway. But some courses do have the sucking mud, hills and streams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssUnD_1DpFw

And from our big local course at Oatlands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2tlB5xQCbwo#t=19

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

we have more lawyers.

And they don't wear wigs.

The times I listed are seasons bests so likely will have been run on the equivalent of a flat golf course fairway. But some courses do have the sucking mud, hills and streams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssUnD_1DpFw

And from our big local course at Oatlands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2tlB5xQCbwo#t=19

The state course in Illinois is affectionately called an XC Track by my son's coach, probably faster than a golf course. The ground is typically rock hard (maybe harder than a track surface), very little grass (since there are so many races on it), and there are no sharp turns. Perfect course for fast times.

HermosaBoy

The state course in Illinois is affectionately called an XC Track by my son's coach, probably faster than a golf course. The ground is typically rock hard (maybe harder than a track surface), very little grass (since there are so many races on it), and there are no sharp turns. Perfect course for fast times.

I have also heard discussion that it may be a bit short of three miles?  But I cannot confirm or deny this...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

TripleBock

Certified?  Flat course, hilly course ... it all comes into play.   WI - 5k.  Co-workers son  has run upper 15's on an easier course with an OK race and 16:30 on a really hard course with a better race.  But the courses are all generally correct, some a bit long, some a bit short.

But if the couse was a solid 3 miles and flattish having 40 runners under 15 is pretty good.

Of course if it was short (say 2.8 miles) ... 15 becomes 16 minutes on a full 3 mile course.

The school Hersey was in the conference meet my son participated in last weekend. It's rare for them to be this good, and after next year, they'll likely go back to being average.  York is simply an amazing program... one that all other programs only dream of being.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

TripleBock

There are fast courses and course that have huge hills - Same runners can be +/- 1 minute depending on course.

No...these are not european style XC races. Usually run in parks and golf courses in the midwest.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

MrH

And they don't wear wigs.

This isn't a wig?

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

I have also heard discussion that it may be a bit short of three miles?  But I cannot confirm or deny this...

same here.  After we ran there this year I asked if it was accurate but I couldn't get a straight yes or no. It seems like no one really wants to know the truth -- they're enamored with the fast times. IMO, it's a short course.

I've never really cared if a course was exacty 3 miles or exactly a 5K. I just wanted to know the actual distance so I could gauge improvement.

I remember after one of my son's MS races (and I was the coach) and running nearly 14 minutes for 2 miles (when he was normally closer to 12), I asked the coach if the course was accurate, and he said "yes, it's just a tough course." I responded, "yes there are quite a few hills, but it's not that tough."  The next morning I jogged it wth my Garmin and it measures 2.25 miles. I figured it was closer to 2.20 miles than 2.0 miles so I used 2.20 miles when calculating kids paces.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Certified?  Flat course, hilly course ... it all comes into play.   WI - 5k.  Co-workers son  has run upper 15's on an easier course with an OK race and 16:30 on a really hard course with a better race.  But the courses are all generally correct, some a bit long, some a bit short.

But if the couse was a solid 3 miles and flattish having 40 runners under 15 is pretty good.

Of course if it was short (say 2.8 miles) ... 15 becomes 16 minutes on a full 3 mile course.

Here's a list of the top 12 times on the course. You should recognize some of the names:

13:50.6, Craig Virgin, Lebanon, 1972

13:52, Chris Derrick, Naperville (Neuqua Valley), 2007-3A

13:54, Lukas Verzbicas, Orland Park (Sandburg), 2010

13:56.6, Tom Graves (Sr.), Orland Park (Sandburg), 1977

13:57.7, Dave Walters, New Lenox (Lincoln-Way), 1973

13:59.3, Craig Virgin, Lebanon, 1971

14:00.0, Jim Spivey, Bensenville (Fenton), 1977AA

14:00, Jorge Torres, Wheeling, 1998AA

14:03, Donald Sage, Elmhurst (York), 1999AA

14:06.0, Bill Fritz, Glen Ellyn (Glenbard West), 1973

14:07, Evan Jager, Algonquin (Jacobs), 2006AA

14:07, Lukas Verzbicas, Orland Park (Sandburg), 2009-3A

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We're nothing if not thorough here at Running Ahead dot com.

Ha!  I just heard a syndicated radio program (Free Beer & Hot Wings -- semi-local) talking about the story this AM.  Guess it makes sense that the football story is old news to an actual Texan.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

No, it's a Halloween mask.

This isn't a wig?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Ostrich runner

Nancy Grace is an incompetent harpy.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

Nancy Grace is an incompetent harpy.

I believe that is a manatory qualification for any professional to obtain a job as an on-air commentator.  No need to pick on lawyers here.  Smile