Critique Me (Read 333 times)

AMKinCO

Hi RA -

If you look at my log, you'll see I am truly a "long-time lurker, first time poster"

After reading the stellar advice that is always being thrown around, I could basically reply to my own post and say what I expect others to tell me.  But...help a girl out, and let me know what you think it is I do so wrong.  Yes, big inconsistencies in weekly mileage, yes months off at a time.  Yep, training programs started and stopped.  Maybe I just need to hear people I respect SAY it.

Some things less evident from the log:  I'm 36 female, I am what I call "skinny fat"  I am 5'8" 139.  I have never been especially athletic or excelled in a sport and have basically weighed the same for 18 years.  I work a lot and huge gaps in running are usually during stressful times during medical school, residency, fellowship, etc.  I'm a physician and hours are long and painful, but clearly a lot of consistent runners can say that.  I have legit asthma and take a long-acting inhaler twice/day.  I say legit because if I stop it, I am on the lethargic side and unable to climb a flight of stairs w/o huffing.  It's not exercise-induced or mild.  I say this because I think it matters though I try to pretend it doesn't!

I hired a personal trainer a few months ago for some core and strength but he was kind of self-centered and all about telling me how fast he is, which is true he runs ~6 min/mile for marathons and stuff...but still. One day he said to me (after we went to a race together) "most people at my level would never consider even coming to a race with someone who runs as slow as you do" Obviously I fired him as a trainer and a friend.  He kind of took the wind out of my sails.

So, I do a "race" today and it hurts and sucks more than any regular run I do (same place I train, literally same trail).  It was hot, sunny and my weekly running has been bad.  I was using a RW training plan but got sidelined mid-June due to life, sick dog, laziness, etc.  Today is basically what I expected.  However, I am thoughtful now.  I mean, wtf do I keep trying?  I'm certain I have more potential.

My sister who smokes and doesn't run, decides at the last minute to run and runs a 8:25 mm.  She is 10 years younger, but still!

Anyway, just feeling down.   Tell me what I'm doing if you have the time or inclination!  7 years of data here!  Academically I know, but maybe I need to hear it from some peeps with advice I respect?   It'd be cooler if you could see my garmin log or strava because you'll see I can usually accomplish solid negative splits.  I got that going for me.

Thx,

AMKinCO

Joann Y

What are your running goals, short term and long term? Not that I have answers but I think knowing what you are trying to accomplish might help people "critique you".

Hi,

I will leave the critiquing to the more knowledgable posters on this site.  But let me be the first to thank you for such an honest post!

With respect to your "trainer", clearly he is a complete dickhead so ignore any advice you got from him.

Your race doesn't look all that bad?  You said it was along the same course and looking at your log it seems like you ran faster than you normally do that's gotta be a positive.

I think the most basic advice I could give is just stick with it.  We all run at different speeds so you really don't want to compare yourself to your trainer or your sister at this point.  Just try to get out there 4+ times per week and slowly build up your base.  Don't worry too much about labelling each run as a fartlek or a tempo run.  Just get the miles in!

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

AMKinCO

Thanks guys!

Goal: run faster and quit making excuses.  I just re-read what I wrote and it's all "excuse, excuse, excuse"

SevenDeadlyShins

THUGLIFE

I am no expert, but I may of found something worth looking at. I don't know if you have tried things like this before. But this can help with lung exercise and related stuff.

http://www.webmd.com/lung/copd/copd-and-exercise-breathing-and-exercise-programs-for-copd

Bests...

1 mile: 5:44

2 mile: 12:48 

5k: 20:05

10k: 57:55 

I heard you're a player. Nice to meet you, I'm the coach. 

Nothing wrong with your pace or your race time for me to critique.  I'd say you'd be solidly mid pack in races around me.

I've taken some time off over the last year and also have not run many races lately because of scheduling issues, so when I decided to get back into it this summer, It feels awful and 4 mile runs take a lot of effort to complete, I could do the same distance 30-60 seconds/mile faster a couple of years ago, but know I will get there if I keep it up. My point is running in summer is a lot harder but come fall we'll be in racing shape, and running suddenly gets a lot easier.

I'd try to run 5-6 days a week even if some of them are only short 2-4 mile runs, with maybe a weekly longish run around 60-90 minutes when you feel like it or when you have the time.  At the end of a few of the slow/short runs, run a few strides (pick up your pace/get up on your toes, for 50-100 meters, recover completely then pick up again).  Strides are the best bang for the buck and you'll feel like you've accomplished something despite your slower run, and is all the speed work you'd need for now.

Also maybe, sign up for a goal race, and do a couple of races leading up to that goal race. Races on the calendar keeps you motivated. Join a running group if you have one in your area and run a few runs with them.  With group runs, you'll likely run by yourself most of the time, but the social aspect before and after race is helpful, and maybe sometime you "race" a friend just for the heck of it and that helps as well.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

AMKinCO, nice post in that it expresses what probably goes on in most runners' heads to one degree or another. Now, what occurs to me is, why are you judging yourself in the first place? Why not just run a) because you enjoy it and/or b) because you feel better mentally and physically because you are a runner? So, while you've asked us to judge you, I'm asking you to not judge you.

I will say, it's a lot easier if you have a pretty invariable running schedule, so there's no internal debate about whether you're going to run today. That may be tough for an MD, but I recommend it if you can make it work.

Good luck.

You weren't always a doctor. You achieved that by consistently working toward it. You put in the time and effort on a regular basis. I doubt you got many days off from the pursuit of that goal. Getting better at running, though not so important as all that, works just exactly the same way. Consistency is your best friend.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

AnneCA

"Get faster" is still sort of a vague goal.  I like the advice of goal races.  Or, maybe just do more racing period, like regular running club races.  Something like a monthly 5k series.  But, to make that interesting and valuable, yes, you'll need to run more consistently.

Looks like you're an evening runner.  Any chance you could become a morning runner?  My schedule is hard (demanding job, two kids, single parent), and if I didn't run first thing in the morning, it wouldn't happen.  I suspect this is not welcome advice, but it's really worth a try.

AMKinCO

"Get faster" is still sort of a vague goal.  I like the advice of goal races.  Or, maybe just do more racing period, like regular running club races.  Something like a monthly 5k series.  But, to make that interesting and valuable, yes, you'll need to run more consistently.

Looks like you're an evening runner.  Any chance you could become a morning runner?  My schedule is hard (demanding job, two kids, single parent), and if I didn't run first thing in the morning, it wouldn't happen.  I suspect this is not welcome advice, but it's really worth a try.

Morning running is truly the key I suspect...yes definitely an evening runner mainly out of habit and to some extent safety.  I loathe the treadmill, but feel safer in the dusk dark than the morning dark for some reason.  Probably unfounded...but yes, I really need to link up with a partner to make morning runs safer and more of an obligation.

Also to the get faster thing: it is a strange and vague goal.  A bit complex too, in that I am actually happy with how I run because I know that with my lungs and general un-athleticism I am pretty darn happy with my running.  But, when I see such close relatives (my bro also does not train and consistently wins his age group when he decides to do a local race) do it so much faster literally without even trying...it makes me wonder, what is my problem?  Am I afraid?  Am I a wimp?  Probably both.  I am also surrounded by type A's in my general friend and colleague circle, people know I run and just assume when they see my general physique and how much I run compared to them that I must be a speed demon.  It makes me embarrassed to admit my times to them, or to do runs with them.

I think part of this post was just me "coming clean" to all these fast people and maybe to give some perspective to those other lurkers!  I'm moderately slow and proud of it...I also know I can do better and after 7 years of this BS, I need to sort it out already!

Thanks all, you're awesome.

AnneCA

Ah, solo female safety concerns!  Also something I'm familiar with.  You are definitely safer running in the morning; the bad guys are not early risers.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I really like what HappyFeet said. She gave you some really good feedback.

Your paces look pretty comparable to mine and your PRs are pretty similar too. (Totally understand the bit of frustration that your non-running sister can jump in and do that.) I think you keep trying because this crazy sport of ours gives you something back, even when it sucks. The only tips I would add is to try to vary your routes and do the occasional run without the Garmin so you remember what it's like to just run. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

BeeRunB

Hey Doc,

I usually don't communicate with people with less than 8 marathons under their belt, but this is Undifferentiated Reality Saturday, the day in which I and those like me try to see the world without division and limiting beliefs. So here goes.

I'm sure you already know how abnormally high mental stress can reek havoc on a human body over time. It can also affect a person's running and aerobic system. For example, a person might be running 50 miles per week and getting faster at the same heart rate, and then boom! something happens in life and their stress levels go through the roof for weeks on end. As the stress goes on, and while trying to maintain the same training load, some runners will experience a loss of speed at the same aerobic heart rate. Runners that run by pace might find that the same training pace feels harder and their legs feel heavier. Sort of feels like and mirrors a state of over-training. I've experienced this. I found that by cutting back the training volume the regression would stop and I'd begin to progress again. I'm not an expert on the science of this, but I think has to do with the constant flood of particular hormones produced under high stress. Since, you mentioned stress and you're an MD, I thought I'd put this out there for you.

As for making progress, just keep it simple. Add a little bit more to the training load every few weeks (either added distance or time on feet). Build your aerobic system first with easy aerobic running. This will build your endurance. Then add in some uptempo stuff after a few months or so. I train by heart rate and like to use specific zones for different purposes, allowing the body to build speed in its own time as I work within the same HRs  through the seasons and its different temperatures. If my pace is progressing at a specific aerobic HR and I'm feeling good, then the training load is at a good level. If the pace is getting worse, then something is wrong either with the training load (too much) or there's an imbalance in the body (iron, vitamin D, etc). If I'm at a plateau, and feeling good,  then it could be I need more miles or time on my feet. Just look for progress in pace at the same HR's. And listen to your body. If you're exhausted and stressed out and replete with nagging injuries, maybe a few days off, or a cutback in running volume is needed.  Good luck and welcome to the land of the unlurked. 

AMKinCO

Hey Doc,

I usually don't communicate with people with less than 8 marathons under their belt, but this is Undifferentiated Reality Saturday, the day in which I and those like me try to see the world without division and limiting beliefs. So here goes.

I'm sure you already know how abnormally high mental stress can reek havoc on a human body over time. It can also affect a person's running and aerobic system. For example, a person might be running 50 miles per week and getting faster at the same heart rate, and then boom! something happens in life and their stress levels go through the roof for weeks on end. As the stress goes on, and while trying to maintain the same training load, some runners will experience a loss of speed at the same aerobic heart rate. Runners that run by pace might find that the same training pace feels harder and their legs feel heavier. Sort of feels like and mirrors a state of over-training. I've experienced this. I found that by cutting back the training volume the regression would stop and I'd begin to progress again. I'm not an expert on the science of this, but I think has to do with the constant flood of particular hormones produced under high stress. Since, you mentioned stress and you're an MD, I thought I'd put this out there for you.

As for making progress, just keep it simple. Add a little bit more to the training load every few weeks (either added distance or time on feet). Build your aerobic system first with easy aerobic running. This will build your endurance. Then add in some uptempo stuff after a few months or so. I train by heart rate and like to use specific zones for different purposes, allowing the body to build speed in its own time as I work within the same HRs  through the seasons and its different temperatures. If my pace is progressing at a specific aerobic HR and I'm feeling good, then the training load is at a good level. If the pace is getting worse, then something is wrong either with the training load (too much) or there's an imbalance in the body (iron, vitamin D, etc). If I'm at a plateau, and feeling good,  then it could be I need more miles or time on my feet. Just look for progress in pace at the same HR's. And listen to your body. If you're exhausted and stressed out and replete with nagging injuries, maybe a few days off, or a cutback in running volume is needed.  Good luck and welcome to the land of the unlurked. 

This is awesome, thanks.  Yeah the whole stress hormone aspect to all this is likely huge and if I really combed through it all with a fine-toothed comb I'll bet those times I just stop cold-turkey is at a point of mental, physical and emotional overload.

I have been dabbling in the HR training and as a numbers freak I love to do it, and it really just supports what my legs, lungs and overall person feel.  The good and the bad.

Canadian Meg also mentioned leaving that damn garmin at home and that is really good advice, I just love the data!  But yeah, it holds me back and I know that.  I agree also that HappyFeet gave some solid info that I will use!!

All of you have such great things to say, thank you!

It's all so very psychological...it's funny that I can bust out a solid 9:00 minute pace at the end of a 6 mile run for the last mile, yet at this race today and I was like F this noise I'm gonna walk a bit.  That's also demoralizing.  Doing more races and just getting over that is probably another great way to go.

Happy Saturday everyone and thanks for the advice.  Maybe I'll get really brave and post my goal PR: <30 minutes 5k, baby!  (I just got nervous admitting that).

BeeRunB

You're welcome. I'm a dataholic as well, and it's always been part of the fun for me. As long as I don't stress about the data, and instead just enjoy collecting and studying the numbers and creating a competition with my past self, then I'll keep at it. The HRM, watch, and resulting body of stats has never held me back and has only helped me over the years.    Whatever makes it fun for a person, whether it be using tech, no tech, running in silk, running with music, running with people, running alone, running for God, running for Bangladesh, running while making bovine noises, etc.--is fine with me. Just leave me some room to pass you on the course or trail----if I can----and please stay off my treadmill with those outdoor shoes. 

ANNOUNCEMENT: Undifferentiated Reality Saturday will be over in 5 hours EST.

This is awesome, thanks.  Yeah the whole stress hormone aspect to all this is likely huge and if I really combed through it all with a fine-toothed comb I'll bet those times I just stop cold-turkey is at a point of mental, physical and emotional overload.

I have been dabbling in the HR training and as a numbers freak I love to do it, and it really just supports what my legs, lungs and overall person feel.  The good and the bad.

Canadian Meg also mentioned leaving that damn garmin at home and that is really good advice, I just love the data!  But yeah, it holds me back and I know that.  I agree also that HappyFeet gave some solid info that I will use!!

All of you have such great things to say, thank you!

It's all so very psychological...it's funny that I can bust out a solid 9:00 minute pace at the end of a 6 mile run for the last mile, yet at this race today and I was like F this noise I'm gonna walk a bit.  That's also demoralizing.  Doing more races and just getting over that is probably another great way to go.

Happy Saturday everyone and thanks for the advice.  Maybe I'll get really brave and post my goal PR: <30 minutes 5k, baby!  (I just got nervous admitting that).